Off Topic

Are millenials getting the short end of the stick?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2017 12:42 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2011
2301 posts
276 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm guessing you live in Toronto? Try moving to a different city....things aren't nearly as bad.

By the way, the millennials will have absolute animosity towards the baby boomer generation when all is said and done for screwing the world up so bad and leaving the kids to foot the bill. That climate change bill is mostly the fault of baby boomers. And you can bet your ass it's just getting started
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2004
7120 posts
896 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
Archanfel wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 11:16 pm

I'd like to deny that please. :) Why do people always believe that the state of the world took a downturn, let alone an "astonishing" one? Exactly what went down?
Raident wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 1:24 am
I don't know what's worse - boomers blaming all of the world's problems on millennials, or millennials blaming all of the world's problems on boomers :rolleyes:
Agree. I am not sure who is blaming who for what. Are the millennials blaming the boomers for all their technology and cush life they have? Or are boomers blaming millennials for wasting that technology posting pictures of their evening meals or telling their friends it is raining outside so they don't have to get up and look out the window?

Personally I look at what my parents went through to build a life for our family and am grateful for what they have done and the sacrifices made. Now I am making my way through life and doing the best I can for my family. Just as my kids will build a life for themselves. In each generation though, we are starting out with more to build on. I don't see how any generation is suffering , when they have more than the generation before them.

If someone doesn't like something in the world, then try to change it. That is what everyone else has had to do. Blaming someone else accomplishes nothing.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2006
4918 posts
1004 upvotes
GTA
Both the Baby Boomers and Millennials suck.

[Signed]

Generation X-er

Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
36165 posts
2273 upvotes
Toronto
We like to think that society progresses.

I don't think society progresses... I think its the same story , but with a different mask and different technology. WE benefit from all this change b/c it does progress technology. Society has periods of hurt, eventually it will bounce back.

ITs always the rich and powerful hoarding resources. Using the common people to further their goal...
Its always mostly common people who are merely happy knowing they can try to achieve more... But are happy if they can afford their house, car, food, and entertainment.

We like to think society progresses... But eventually I does hurt due to the progression. I do think that the boomers had a nice period in which they could have many advantages.

What advantages does being born into the millennial age bring? Mainly that we live in a HIGHLY connected world. Technology is abundant and easily accessed... I guess you can say, we have cheap entertainment. Things are getting so connected and easy in a way.
Are you truly talented at music or arts? You can easily hit it big... Whereas before... some sort of music/entertainment exec would control who and what gets famous. They dictated peoples styles. Now youtube dictates entertainment. That is one startling thing I noticed...

I look @ my example all the time..
What my parents achieved, is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone in my generation to achieve.
They bought a HOUSE and raised 3 kids on dual minimum wage incomes. They were in a time when you could actually be dumb and hard working and still have those things. Now working hard isn't good enough. You have to work hard, smart, have a little bit of luck, and get a head start...
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
27314 posts
3651 upvotes
Ottawa
UrbanPoet wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 5:12 pm

I don't think society progresses........
They bought a HOUSE and raised 3 kids on dual minimum wage incomes. They were in a time when you could actually be dumb and hard working and still have those things. Now working hard isn't good enough. You have to work hard, smart, have a little bit of luck, and get a head start...
I think you are wrong. It is achievable but, you need to be flexible and willing. Your parents went to where the work was and did what they had to do to live and get ahead. They did with less, they had less, they gave you more than they had when they were young. All I hear now is complaining about not being able to buy this or buy that while still living with parents. Life is not guaranteed to be comfortable, you gotta do what ya gotta do to get ahead.
When they bought their house, it cost the same percentage of their wages as it is today, maybe even more (not the whole country is Toronto centric).
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional minority, and rabidly promoted by unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds the proposition that it is possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.' Anonymous
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2907 posts
2041 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:
[...]
Actually, what I've witnessed low skilled/educated people doing is getting jobs as civil/public servants, joining the police or the military where they can have long term secure employment with superb work packages. Other trend is trade jobs, but these require them to have a lot of flexibility (mobility), so rooting a family can be a bit more challenging.

I think the actual problems for big city dwellers are affordable housing and to a less degree commuting costs. Most of these people become house poors. Unfortunately, a large percentage of jobs are only available at big cities.
yare yare daze...
May 13, 2014
366 posts
54 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
aviador wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 6:30 pm
Actually, what I've witnessed low skilled/educated people doing is getting jobs as civil/public servants, joining the police or the military where they can have long term secure employment with superb work packages. Other trend is trade jobs, but these require them to have a lot of flexibility (mobility), so rooting a family can be a bit more challenging.

I think the actual problems for big city dwellers are affordable housing and to a less degree commuting costs. Most of these people become house poors. Unfortunately, a large percentage of jobs are only available at big cities.
Well, if a low skilled/educated person truly wants to get ahead economically, they should leave Canada and keep heading west.

Asia is the land of opportunity nowadays, and even an unqualified English teacher can make good money just by virtue of their Canadian passport.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
2907 posts
2041 upvotes
Raident wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 8:10 pm
Well, if a low skilled/educated person truly wants to get ahead economically, they should leave Canada and keep heading west.

Asia is the land of opportunity nowadays, and even an unqualified English teacher can make good money just by virtue of their Canadian passport.
That must be something new. AFAIK, those positions always required a Canadian undergrad degree and native English proficiency. Some people I know have done this and they all said that economically it was not good at all but that they enjoyed the experience of living abroad and the opportunity for short travels to neighboring Asian destinations.

If what you say is correct, I'd guess that currently there must be a lot of Canadian high school recent graduates teaching English in Asia (an well paid, not volunteering!)
yare yare daze...
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4662 posts
333 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote:

I don't think society progresses... I think its the same story , but with a different mask and different technology. WE benefit from all this change b/c it does progress technology. Society has periods of hurt, eventually it will bounce back.

ITs always the rich and powerful hoarding resources. Using the common people to further their goal...
Its always mostly common people who are merely happy knowing they can try to achieve more... But are happy if they can afford their house, car, food, and entertainment.

We like to think society progresses... But eventually I does hurt due to the progression. I do think that the boomers had a nice period in which they could have many advantages.

What advantages does being born into the millennial age bring? Mainly that we live in a HIGHLY connected world. Technology is abundant and easily accessed... I guess you can say, we have cheap entertainment. Things are getting so connected and easy in a way.
Are you truly talented at music or arts? You can easily hit it big... Whereas before... some sort of music/entertainment exec would control who and what gets famous. They dictated peoples styles. Now youtube dictates entertainment. That is one startling thing I noticed...

I don't see why or how people can be separated into "rich and powerful" and "common". In my experience, people are only "common" if they chose to be "common". "Common" is not a very bad place to be, so most people chose to be common (i.e. they are not willing to put in the efforts and/or take the risks to become rich).

You can still buy a house and have 3 kids. Maybe not in Toronto, but in a smaller town like Toronto was back in the days. Even in Toronto, it's not impossible depending on the neighborhood. I have immigrant friends who came with nothing did just that. People just choose not to.

As for the millennials, the early ones (i.e. people in their 30s) actually had the best opportunity to be rich in Toronto. If they chose to live a frugal life and bought 3-4 houses, they would be able to retire by now. Again, I have friends who did just that (other than the retire part, they chose to buy more and more houses).
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
4632 posts
375 upvotes
Scarborough
Why is having a mortgage being considered as an "achievement" here?
That's like being happy having NO FREEDOM at all.
Not like they bought the house with cash payment and its 100% theirs.

Life can go by just fine even on Rent. As long as you SPEND money on yourself. See the world, explore other countries etc.
Life is truly effed up when u can't leave the city and have to be forced to even work on stat holidays to afford your mortgage and interest payments, lol
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10820 posts
1463 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Why do Millenials think it is ok to get music for free?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2060 posts
100 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 12:51 pm
Why do Millenials think it is ok to get music for free?
Exactly. You wouldn't download a car, would you?
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
15620 posts
432 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
Raident wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 8:10 pm

I tend to disagree... you still need education / skills to work in Asia an English teacher and actually "make good money".
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
15620 posts
432 upvotes
Oak Ridges, ON
aviador wrote:
Aug 5th, 2017 9:08 pm
If what you say is correct, I'd guess that currently there must be a lot of Canadian high school recent graduates teaching English in Asia (an well paid, not volunteering!)
And there isn't. Which is how we know that he's wrong. ;)