Off Topic

Are millenials getting the short end of the stick?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2017 12:42 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1022 posts
288 upvotes
New York City
Only skimmed through this thread.

As a millennial, I find that life is much easier as in we have way more convenience and access to information. Just to give a few examples top of my head:
-Internet has made it so convenient and cheaper in terms of learning, running errands, planning trips, GPS, finding good restaurants, going to the bank, shopping etc..
-Travel is much much cheaper
-No longer need to worry about "long distance" fees or rely on snail mail to stay in touch with friends/family
-Society is more open-minded (e.g. LGBT, anti-bullying, anti-racism)
-Hook-up culture
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2008
4662 posts
333 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 9:51 am
Take advantage of the privileges you are afforded.
What privileges?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7851 posts
743 upvotes
Archanfel wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 1:35 am
I don't think the purpose is to judge, but to analyze social movements, which requires you to group people up and find common traits.

Asimov once said that while one cannot foresee the actions of a particular individual, the laws of statistics as applied to large groups of people could predict the general flow of future events.
Idk I seem to see a lot more judging than "analyzing social movements" in most discussions on these topics...maybe it's just me...
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2060 posts
100 upvotes
Buggy166 wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 6:14 pm
....yes? .... yea...yes i would. lol

but id probably pay the creators for it.

*welp*
[OP]
Aug 2, 2017
11 posts
2 upvotes
McKinsey wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 9:51 am
Only skimmed through this thread.

As a millennial, I find that life is much easier as in we have way more convenience and access to information. Just to give a few examples top of my head:
-Internet has made it so convenient and cheaper in terms of learning, running errands, planning trips, GPS, finding good restaurants, going to the bank, shopping etc..
-Travel is much much cheaper
-No longer need to worry about "long distance" fees or rely on snail mail to stay in touch with friends/family
-Society is more open-minded (e.g. LGBT, anti-bullying, anti-racism)
-Hook-up culture
In some cases yes, but for the most part, no.

Just because there is more technology and information available today it does not mean that we are better off. We are saturated with choice, which is a bad thing. Studies (and common sense) show that some choice is good, but too much is actually detrimental.

There are so many things to worry about these days, and a lot of the technology is unnecessary.

Not to mention how social media has actually disconnected people from each other and caused a spike in mental illness. Just because there is more technology and things are "easier" doesn't necessarily mean that things got "better" overall.

In a way, the internet is actually having a dangerous effect on millenials. There is so many things out there that can be accessed in a matter of seconds, and thus it is extremely difficult for a millenial to be impressed with any one thing. This is one of the reasons millenials are lazy and cannot settle: they have become spoiled by the internet. Does anyone even care about seeing a nice sunset anymore? It might look decent, but I already know that I have seen over 5000 nicer "screen saver" worthy pictures on the internet, and can see about a dozen in the next 20 seconds if I chose to. That is just one example. Also, there is so much information sharing that it kills your motivation. It is hard to settle for any one career because you can read the opinions of hundreds of people who actually have that job on a forum and they tell you the pros/cons and it kills your motivation for it. Want to buy a product? Gotta check 13 diff sites and read every single review, because when you know those sites exist you will feel silly just going ahead and buying the product. Want to take a vacation? Well why... just go on google maps and you can see almost any street in the world. There are countless more examples. There is no more element of mystery or future in life. It is all there. This kills motivation, creates boredom, and ultimately depression. This is why millenials don't really care about anything. Everything has been tested and tried, everything has already been invented.

I think baby boomers lived in the best generation, in terms of technology/balance, and pretty much everything else. Another example is music, everything is about money these days, talent takes a backseat to money. Everything is about mass commercialization. Whoever knows the right people will make it big, very minimal talent is needed. Music, tv, and in the past few years, even video games have fallen prey to this phenomenon. Up till a few years ago developers would make quality games with quality storylines, now it is all about making garbage games with good graphics that pander to the mainstream market. Life has no more soul. This generation sucks. I would gladly give up all technology to experience life in the previous generation.
Last edited by whythiskolaveriman on Aug 7th, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2011
4516 posts
573 upvotes
whythiskolaveriman wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 4:04 pm

Just because there is more technology and information available today it does not mean that we are better off. We are saturated with choice, which is a bad thing. Studies (and common sense) show that some choice is good, but too much is actually detrimental.

There are so many things to worry about these days, and a lot of the technology is unnecessary.

Not to mention how social media has actually disconnected people from each other and caused a spike in mental illness. Just because there is more technology and things are "easier" doesn't necessarily mean that things got "better" overall.

In a way, the internet is actually having a dangerous effect on millenials. There is so many things out there that can be accessed in a matter of seconds, and thus it is extremely difficult for a millenial to be impressed with any one thing. This is one of the reasons millenials are lazy and cannot settle: they have become spoiled by the internet. Does anyone even care about seeing a nice sunset anymore? It might look decent, but I already know that I have seen over 5000 nicer "screen saver" worthy pictures on the internet, and can see about a dozen in the next 20 seconds if I chose to. That is just one example. Also, there is so much information sharing that it kills your motivation. It is hard to settle for any one career because you can read the opinions of hundreds of people who actually have that job on a forum and they tell you the pros/cons and it kills your motivation for it. Want to buy a product? Gotta check 13 diff sites and read every single review, because when you know those sites exist you will feel just going ahead and buying the product. Want to take a vacation? Well why... just go on google maps and you can see almost any street in the world. There are countless more examples. There is no more element of mystery or future in life. It is all there. This kills motivation, creates boredom, and ultimately depression. This is why millenials don't really care about anything.

I think baby boomers lived in the best generation, in terms of technology/balance, and pretty much everything else. Another example is music, everything is about money these days, talent takes a backseat to money. Everything is about mass commercialization. Whoever knows the right people will make it big, very minimal talent is needed. Music, tv, and in the past few years, even video games have fallen prey to this phenomenon. Up till a few years ago developers would make quality games with quality storylines, now it is all about making garbage games with good graphics that pander to the mainstream market. Life has no more soul. This generation sucks. I would gladly give up all technology to experience life in the previous generation.
There is so much to disagree with in this post, factually, and by opinion...but it's your mind, and it's your life. If you want to see things and live your life that way, that's your prerogative. You don't speak for all Millennials.

I do notice that a lot of people seem to like to caste themselves as the victims of circumstance or other people's choices. I'd advise that they look to break out of that mental habit and strengthen their focus on things that are more within their control.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2003
4130 posts
97 upvotes
Austin/Markham

In a way, the internet is actually having a dangerous effect on millenials. There is so many things out there that can be accessed in a matter of seconds, and thus it is extremely difficult for a millenial to be impressed with any one thing. This is one of the reasons millenials are lazy and cannot settle: they have become spoiled by the internet. Does anyone even care about seeing a nice sunset anymore? It might look decent, but I already know that I have seen over 5000 nicer "screen saver" worthy pictures on the internet, and can see about a dozen in the next 20 seconds if I chose to. That is just one example. Also, there is so much information sharing that it kills your motivation. It is hard to settle for any one career because you can read the opinions of hundreds of people who actually have that job on a forum and they tell you the pros/cons and it kills your motivation for it. Want to buy a product? Gotta check 13 diff sites and read every single review, because when you know those sites exist you will feel silly just going ahead and buying the product. Want to take a vacation? Well why... just go on google maps and you can see almost any street in the world. There are countless more examples. There is no more element of mystery or future in life. It is all there. This kills motivation, creates boredom, and ultimately depression. This is why millenials don't really care about anything. Everything has been tested and tried, everything has already been invented.

There's so much fail here. You're obviously depressed and have created some false assumptions to reinforce your depression. Technology is a tool that aids and speeds things up, but can't replace the real thing in any of your examples. Hope you get well soon.
__
demandez-lui si elle dormira avec vous pour un LED keychain
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6417 posts
625 upvotes
Another example is music, everything is about money these days, talent takes a backseat to money. Everything is about mass commercialization. Whoever knows the right people will make it big, very minimal talent is needed. Music, tv, and in the past few years, even video games have fallen prey to this phenomenon. Up till a few years ago developers would make quality games with quality storylines, now it is all about making garbage games with good graphics that pander to the mainstream market. Life has no more soul. This generation sucks. I would gladly give up all technology to experience life in the previous generation.
You do realize baby boomers are the ones running the music industry, right?

Who do you think is all about the money? The studio executives or the 16 yr old kid with a guitar?

You're hilarious.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1022 posts
288 upvotes
New York City
peanutz wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 4:24 pm
There is so much to disagree with in this post, factually, and by opinion...but it's your mind, and it's your life. If you want to see things and live your life that way, that's your prerogative. You don't speak for all Millennials.

I do notice that a lot of people seem to like to caste themselves as the victims of circumstance or other people's choices. I'd advise that they look to break out of that mental habit and strengthen their focus on things that are more within their control.
Agreed with you 100%.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7851 posts
743 upvotes
I don't understand this need to compare who has it better/worse for whatever reason. Like it or not, things are the way they are. Seeing trends in socio-economic factors for each generation does indeed allow us to learn from them, but whining does nobody any good.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2012
2728 posts
64 upvotes
East York
uber_shnitz wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 10:26 am
I don't understand this need to compare who has it better/worse for whatever reason. Like it or not, things are the way they are. Seeing trends in socio-economic factors for each generation does indeed allow us to learn from them, but whining does nobody any good.
As a few of us have said, the need comes from people (any generation) looking for an excuse to explain the failures or short comings in their own life. (rightly or wrongly). Past generations look at current generations and find it frustrating when they see younger people now complaining, but this always happens with every generation.

People talk about millennials now a days because things are "easier" with technology, which is kinda true Imo, but they also ignore that things are always way more competitive with how much the population has increased since the 70's or 80's etc. Plus there are "studies" that point out how "lazy" millienials how, how they're not getting married or moving out of their parents home until much later in life, they're not taking jobs because the pay isn't good enough, etc.

It's all a matter of opinion really.
PS4 (PSN ID): Drew872
My PS4 games collection: http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/LoyalToTh ... ames/owned
Trophy List: http://psnprofiles.com/Drew872
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
2060 posts
100 upvotes
Honestly, I'm just delighted the information and education is much more accessible now than ever before. The downside for this generation is the information overload they're facing and having to process and filter all the junk information that's unnecessary for their needs. People suck at making decision when they're loaded with too many choices, so it's not entirely the fault of millennials if they're making unhealthy decisions in some areas of their lives.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9196 posts
1089 upvotes
Toronto
webdoctors wrote:
Aug 7th, 2017 10:47 pm
There's so much fail here. You're obviously depressed and have created some false assumptions to reinforce your depression. Technology is a tool that aids and speeds things up, but can't replace the real thing in any of your examples. Hope you get well soon.
Definitely some depression and coping issues. It's normal to feel such a way when going through some kind of stress in life, but over 'obsession' won't be healthy. Plus, being a baby boomer, there's alot less quality of life ahead of you and most of it behind you now. Meaning many would glad to be young again, even with the trials and tribulations for a chance to be young again and have the time and health ahead of you.
May 22, 2016
652 posts
78 upvotes
Ontario
Maybe if they could stop looking at their phone for 10 minutes life would be easier.

You think life if tough? The previous generations had to go rent videos, then rewind them and then remember to bring them back on time. The worst part was making the trek and finding out all that movie was out!!!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
6417 posts
625 upvotes
webshark wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 11:51 pm
Maybe if they could stop looking at their phone for 10 minutes life would be easier.

You think life if tough? The previous generations had to go rent videos, then rewind them and then remember to bring them back on time. The worst part was making the trek and finding out all that movie was out!!!
you do realize millennials started being born in the mid 80s and had to do the same, right? Face With Tears Of Joy