• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2013 4:33 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7023 posts
530 upvotes
I always like how people with different lifestyles try to justify themselves or convince others how their lifestyle is bad. There are no good or bad lifestyles so long as they don't negatively impact others; it's just a choice. Owning a car is not a good or bad decision just as taking the TTC isn't either. Same with renting vs owning a place.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
7396 posts
557 upvotes
hi-tech wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 1:10 pm
Yeah my mistake. I have observed that the 16-21 specifically does not have any ambitions. My sister is that age, and I don't think any of her friends work or even have jobs. It's not like there aren't jobs available either, just feel that the ones available are beneath them.
Millennials should be saying they are born after 2k technically. I think the OP is referring to the ones born after the 1990s.

If you text all day and don't call your friends, you are part of the millennials. University students / high school students are the millennials. They are pretty lazy and have very unrealistic expectation on life. I assume they will only graduate to become unemployed.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2949 posts
134 upvotes
dre145 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 10:56 pm
I take the ttc to work every day. I get an extra 45 minutes of sleep in the mornings and I get to finish up my work, catch up on emails and check social media on the way home. I rent on the weekends when ever I need to and get a car for $20-30 a day. You and your friends may be "trying" to save up for a house and get married. The difference is I am getting married and buying a house you can keep trying.
Ya, that sounds great man, but what about the people who live not so convenient next to TTC (ex: Mississauga, Oakville, Brampton, RH, etc.) and work DT?

They actually need to bus to the TTC/GO first, then take it (which kills a heck lot of time). They also need to bus to the rental place first to pick up the car (sadly), then bus back home after they drop off the car.

Your scenario works great if you live in say, North York, DT or walkable distance to a TTC line.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
7396 posts
557 upvotes
RedRyder wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 3:22 pm
Such a sad life.
That characteristic will ensure they become unemployed when they graduate. I have issues dealing with the post 90s group, because they can't communicate with the older generations.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5198 posts
723 upvotes
Scarbs
uber_shnitz wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 11:05 pm
I always like how people with different lifestyles try to justify themselves or convince others how their lifestyle is bad. There are no good or bad lifestyles so long as they don't negatively impact others; it's just a choice. Owning a car is not a good or bad decision just as taking the TTC isn't either. Same with renting vs owning a place.
This so much
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
661 upvotes
Toronto
dre145 wrote:
I take the ttc to work every day. I get an extra 45 minutes of sleep in the mornings and I get to finish up my work, catch up on emails and check social media on the way home. I rent on the weekends when ever I need to and get a car for $20-30 a day. You and your friends may be "trying" to save up for a house and get married. The difference is I am getting married and buying a house you can keep trying.
The one thing you forget to mention is location location location. Where do you live. For example, I used to live in Stouffville, where Go trains were $11 one way using the Go train pass. It was much cheaper to hitch a 45min ride with my dad down to Don mills and take the subway from there, although I am wasting over an hour of extra time.
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Jan 29, 2006
297 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
dre145 wrote:
LOL!! poor mans justification.

"I CHOOSE to eat from the dumpster, its chock full of nutrients"
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
3802 posts
1072 upvotes
High River, AB
They are far too loaded down with student loan debt to buy houses and new cars. Even used cars are too expensive to be worth it for many. As for houses, the massively inflated housing costs in most areas don't help one bit
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
1052 posts
4 upvotes
it's expensive having a car trust me I know. However it would take me nearly 3 hours by bus to get to work, that only takes me 35 minutes on the highway. I'd rather sacrifice in other areas than transportation.
Apr 3, 2006
484 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Russell wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 10:15 am
They are far too loaded down with student loan debt to buy houses and new cars. Even used cars are too expensive to be worth it for many. As for houses, the massively inflated housing costs in most areas don't help one bit
Thats why people usually go to areas where the houses are more affordable.

I find it funny how people feel entitled to have a nice house, if all you can afford is some ghetto appartment....well thats all you can afford.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
3802 posts
1072 upvotes
High River, AB
spike1128 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2013 11:07 pm

If you text all day and don't call your friends, you are part of the millennials.
So, my 50+ mother is a millennial? She always texts - rarely does she make a phone call these days. She's fallen into the same habits that many people have these days. She'll often text me late evening to let me know about her latest high score in whichever damn iphone game she's gotten herself hooked on this month. Her and her similarly-aged friends are always texting back and forth. Sometimes they do it when they're in the same building! (Kitchen to yard, living room to bathroom, office to office, etc)

Myself, I'm 30. I text often and rarely call. I go out of my way to call my mom just for that rare bit of human contact with her (we don't live too close). I'm glued to my phone almost as bad as kids are these days. The only difference is that I somehow manage to lead a productive life in spite of it.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
3802 posts
1072 upvotes
High River, AB
RedRyder wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 10:19 am
Thats why people usually go to areas where the houses are more affordable.

I find it funny how people feel entitled to have a nice house, if all you can afford is some ghetto appartment....well thats all you can afford.
Except the areas with affordable houses are usually the areas with poor job prospects. There's a reason housing costs in such areas are so low.
Apr 3, 2006
484 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Russell wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 10:27 am
Except the areas with affordable houses are usually the areas with poor job prospects. There's a reason housing costs in such areas are so low.
Investing in a car fixes that problem.....oh sorry people don't believe in being able to transport themselves these days.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
12564 posts
896 upvotes
Toronto
Russell wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 10:27 am
Don't forget extremely high crime as well. You'll notice that Winnipeg, the city with the highest murder rate in the country, consistently ranks high on the 'cheapest places to buy a house' lists you see in various publications.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Apr 3, 2006
484 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
Piro21 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2013 11:12 am
Don't forget extremely high crime as well. You'll notice that Winnipeg, the city with the highest murder rate in the country, consistently ranks high on the 'cheapest places to buy a house' lists you see in various publications.
Talking like a typical silver spoon fed canadian. People need to check out other countries and see what hard life is all about.

Its not like OMG I can't afford the latest Iphone this year, boo life is so hard.
× < >