Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 21, 2003
647 posts
91 upvotes

Minimum Floor to Ceiling Height

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody can help me. I'm trying to build a loft/mezzanine level and have a question about heights to get everything right if an inspector were to come check.
From my calculation I will have 7 feet height, then the floor plus an additional 6'4 of height. However, if I call the second floor a bedroom then I will need a minimum height of 6'11 for each floor, which I don't have. I was wondering if there is a way to call this something else. Let's say a storage room and, then only require a lower minimum height for the construction to be up to building code.
Any help would be appreciated. The usage of the space would be up to the person living there.
9 replies
Dec 29, 2009
466 posts
67 upvotes
hostlead wrote:
Dec 9th, 2010 3:47 pm
Hi,

I was wondering if somebody can help me. I'm trying to build a loft/mezzanine level and have a question about heights to get everything right if an inspector were to come check.
From my calculation I will have 7 feet height, then the floor plus an additional 6'4 of height. However, if I call the second floor a bedroom then I will need a minimum height of 6'11 for each floor. I was wondering if there is a way to call this something else. Let's say a storage room and, then only require a lower minimum height for the construction to be up to building code.
Any help would be appreciated. The usage of the space would be up to the person living there.

building code is different in different areas. Where are you?
Jul 6, 2010
98 posts
5 upvotes
North Bay,Ontario
It sounds like you are renovating an existing house, so depending on the age of the house Part 11 of the OBC applies (also Part 9)....not necessarily new construction.I'd inquire (maybe anominously) at your citie's building dept for accuracy.
Dec 9, 2010
6 posts
Richmond Hill
I agree with the post above you fall under section 9 of the OBC,you should check to see if your renovation will be applicable. I believe a certain percentage of the finished space has to meet the minimum height and if I remember correctly it is 6'-5" taking into consideration bulk heads, but please double and triple check with your local building codes.
Jul 26, 2010
830 posts
54 upvotes
eastern Ontario
when building my daughter's basement bathroom the drawings came back from the permit review marked with the height to the bulkhead around some piping. (I had not shown the height) . They wanted at least 83 inches.This bulkhead was against wall over vanity and shower so only impacted anyone 7 feet tall having a shower. I had already started that framing and we were too low, so I rebuilt it. Of course the inspector never measured anything closely on his inspection. Funny thing was a few months later I got to looking at the large section of her basement family room which was done by the builder. It was lowered to allow all sorts of piping to exit the rear of the townhouse. Guess what, it was less that 80 inches. Go figure.
Jul 6, 2010
98 posts
5 upvotes
North Bay,Ontario
38racing wrote:
Dec 10th, 2010 10:07 pm
when building my daughter's basement bathroom the drawings came back from the permit review marked with the height to the bulkhead around some piping. (I had not shown the height) . They wanted at least 83 inches.This bulkhead was against wall over vanity and shower so only impacted anyone 7 feet tall having a shower. I had already started that framing and we were too low, so I rebuilt it. Of course the inspector never measured anything closely on his inspection. Funny thing was a few months later I got to looking at the large section of her basement family room which was done by the builder. It was lowered to allow all sorts of piping to exit the rear of the townhouse. Guess what, it was less that 80 inches. Go figure.

Strange....this is why double/triple checking is so important and if some thing they say they require doesn't make sense...ask for verification. In my experience, Plan reviewers can make mistakes or interpret situations wrongly.... It helps to talk with them in person....explaining your rational and circumstances for clarification.
× < >