Off Topic

Minimum Wage = Minimum Effort, Do you agree?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2014 10:23 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Dec 18, 2011
3995 posts
971 upvotes
Mississauga

Minimum Wage = Minimum Effort, Do you agree?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/first-per ... 00925.html

[QUOTE]I currently work in sales and own a small business. I haven't worked for minimum wage for quite some time and don't see a reason to subject my employees to such an unlivable wage. There are numerous ways to make money that don't involve working an entire day for $50. I have always wondered what minimum wage is based on, what genius thought that people could live a healthy life or support a family making $7.25 an hour. Since starting a business, I've noticed that minimum wage equals minimum effort and as an employer I wouldn't expect more from them at that price.

It Makes Sense

It makes sense to apply yourself and strive for success if there's an incentive to do so. If you have nothing to look forward to other than surviving one more week on macaroni and peanut butter, no matter how hard you work, giving 110% at work seems like a joke. If I do the same job as someone else who is slacking off, stealing, and being rude to customers but we both make the same amount of money, why would I go the extra mile?

How Much of a Raise?

I worked for a company as a teenager called Sav On. I worked 40 hours per week for minimum wage. After a year I would be eligible for a 10 cent per hour raise. Yes, I know ... how exciting. Honestly, there is only so much a person will put up with who makes so little. Most of the employees stole merchandise out of the store room, took naps in the crates, and drank or smoked in the bathroom. They got the same raise that I did.

As an Employer

As an employer I refuse to pay anyone minimum wage. I will hire fewer employees and pay them more. The employees I do have work hard and appreciate the higher wage for doing a good job. The saying, "You get what you pay for," is true of employees as well as anything else. I've noticed that paying a liveable wage creates happy employees who show up to work on time, don't call in sick, smile at customers, and take care of themselves both mentally and physically. I'm not losing money by paying the higher wage, I'm gaining a better employee.
Being a small business owner can be tricky where profit and loss are concerned but I truly believe that a company starts with creating a strong, successful, capable team.[/QUOTE]

I think this is a great article which raises a lot of good points but I'd like to hear some people's views. I agree with this claim. Most minimum wage jobs are dead end jobs. They have little benefits with no incentive for going above and beyond the call of duty. As the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for".

Now I know, there are plenty of people out there that would kill for a job. If you're a student with a part time job at McDonalds or Wal-Mart pushing carts, what difference does it make if you give it your all? Especially minimum wage jobs that are unionized. Thoughts?

Why should you work as hard or even harder than someone who makes more than you?
157 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4169 posts
1428 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
As with anything else, you get what you pay for. The businesses that pay the least, should expect to get the bare minimum from the those employees. Sadly, there's a lot of businesses that haven't figured that out yet. I know lots of businesses that pay minimum wage, but have very high expectations if their workers. Not surprisingly, they wonder why they're not able to keep employees.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
158 upvotes
Tell that to McDonalds. Walmart, Tim Horton's, etc etc etc. They seem to be doing just fine.

What these companies have realized is that the real money is in designing your work place to run effectively even with the negatives of minimum wage workers.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4795 posts
60 upvotes
Local
What video was it that mentioned that mcdonalds started to mainstream the duties in mcdonalds. Basically dumbing down the jobs to the point where any employee could be replaced as though they were never there.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4091 posts
105 upvotes
Tahsis
Well, that totally depends. If you can't design skill out of what your workers do, you're unlikely to get good people for minimum wage. You're also unlikely to get people that care much for minimum wage. Sure, some places can operate like that... if you have a lot of supervision and easy tasks. I also don't think it's reasonable to give "minimum effort" just because it's minimum wage... but if you work somewhere that has zero possibility for advancement and also low accountability that's what you're going to get.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3748 posts
155 upvotes
Barrie
Most people who are on minimum wage realize they are the losers in the world of finance. Only a fool tries his hardest after he has already lost.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
[OP]
Banned
Dec 18, 2011
3995 posts
971 upvotes
Mississauga
I'm glad people agree with me.

But for the sake of argument, the employer might say, if you don't like the job, leave.

How would you respond to that?
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
4169 posts
1428 upvotes
Vulcan, AB
PozzyD wrote:
Jan 13th, 2013 2:21 am

But for the sake of argument, the employer might say, if you don't like the job, leave.

I wouldn't. I would already be gone.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2003
4091 posts
105 upvotes
Tahsis
Well, if the employer is saying that you need to shape up or ship out. If there are other places that you could get the same money for less stress (and minimum wage is all you can/want to earn for whatever reason) I would leave.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1466 upvotes
Pickering
I'm pretty sure if I paid people at Mc D's $5 per hour more, they would still perform the same. People are who they are when I worked at Mc D's I did more work than 95% of the people there, not because I tried to get ahead, not because I tried to get a raise, but because that is how I work.

After many years of working with others I realized that there are a lot of stupid people and no matter what you pay them, they will underperform because they can't handle much more than raking leaves. Employees now are a combination of ***** kissers and better-than-nothing employees. You can't pay people to be smarter. Back in the day if you weren't so smart, you did factory work. Now we've off shored those options, so where do these people work. Add some bratty kids with no work ethic and no real skills, no expertise and pay them what you want because no matter how much you pay them, they will only ever be so good.

Money can't fix stupid, so you might as well pay as little as possible. If there is a skill involved, pay more for the skill or you get the dregs of humanity.

Minimum effort is not a problem that can be fixed with money. You'd need to fire everybody and rehire new people at different rates because the environment has become poisoned.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
15882 posts
4037 upvotes
I worked very hard when I worked for Wal-Mart years ago. But that job destroyed several discs in my spine to the point that I will never work a warehousing job again. But I liked my coworkers and what I did there. So, no...not in my case at least...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
8038 posts
1178 upvotes
Toronto
Minimum wage is usually but not restricted to school kids,part timers and non skilled or immigrant/citizen who may not speak English, have no Canadian experience etc.

It is not necessarily for the lazy nor a minimum effort job.

Employers push these employees hard and often these jobs are laborious,potentially dangerous and could lead to injuries etc.

It's often the jobs refused by the Canadian born, highly qualified or simply those who believe they are entitled to something better.

Even under qualified and the not so privileged Canadian born with no avenues to land their non merited dream jobs, via networking,cronyism etc refuse these jobs.

Some in favour of some form of government assistance instead.
Deal Guru
Oct 3, 2006
10372 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
No. The amount of effort largely depends on the specific societal norms of what level of service/effort is expected.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3748 posts
155 upvotes
Barrie
PozzyD wrote:
Jan 13th, 2013 2:21 am

Chances are if you are working a minimum wage job you dont have a ton of other prospects. I dont know how I would respond personally because I wouldnt do anything to make the employer realize I hated the job. People working for minimum wage have to get the job done even if they dont put 100% into it.

Thats kind of a cruel question for the employer to ask anyway because they know you have no other options, they did hiring you for minimum wage after all,.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.