• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2016 6:34 am
Tags:
Sep 8, 2008
197 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

Mining ETF's on the TSX without gold?

Are there any ETF's traded on the TSX that arent heavily weighted in gold?
5 replies
Nov 19, 2015
120 posts
22 upvotes
XBM (iShares S&P/TSX Global Base Metals Index ETF) seems to be fairly evenly-weighted. Blackrock used to have CMW which was very evenly distributed across metals but it has been closed.
Nov 7, 2015
162 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I think the general thought process among precious metal investors is that if you are buying stocks, buy mining stocks, gdx, gdxj, etc. If you want to invest in gold or silver go to a bullion dealer and buy some, the physical asset is much better to have on hand than some paper etf gold.

http://business.financialpost.com/inves ... k-narrowed

Many believe the paper trail leads to.. a lot less gold than they claim to have.
Sep 8, 2008
197 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
thebigmacd wrote: XBM (iShares S&P/TSX Global Base Metals Index ETF) seems to be fairly evenly-weighted. Blackrock used to have CMW which was very evenly distributed across metals but it has been closed.
Thanks, this was what I was looking for, and now I wonder if there are any others out there like this but trades with more volume?
virdent wrote: I think the general thought process among precious metal investors is that if you are buying stocks, buy mining stocks, gdx, gdxj, etc. If you want to invest in gold or silver go to a bullion dealer and buy some, the physical asset is much better to have on hand than some paper etf gold.

http://business.financialpost.com/inves ... k-narrowed

Many believe the paper trail leads to.. a lot less gold than they claim to have.
I dont think you read my post. Looking for things without gold, I don't want to touch any of it if possible.
Nov 7, 2015
162 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
INeedDeals wrote: Thanks, this was what I was looking for, and now I wonder if there are any others out there like this but trades with more volume?

I dont think you read my post. Looking for things without gold, I don't want to touch any of it if possible.
Ah yeah sorry my bad, you could always just invest in whatever strong mining ETF you believe in and then place a hedge against gold miners in some form, such as a put on whatever gold mining etf/stock or a call option on an inverse etf that tracks gold/gold miners if you feel gold will fall.
Nov 19, 2015
120 posts
22 upvotes
INeedDeals wrote: Thanks, this was what I was looking for, and now I wonder if there are any others out there like this but trades with more volume?
If you want more volume you'll have to get into ETFs on the NYSE.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)