None
Deal Addict
May 13, 2012
1441 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto

Mining Rig for Alt Coins?

Hey guys,

Been contemplating building or purchasing a mining rig to mine alternate coins like Litecoin, Fastcoin, Stablecoin etc. Anyone have any advice for a newb? Are there any coins out there that have potential for reliability, profit and global acceptance?

Litecoin looks like it still may have some life in it since it's not quite in the ASIC stage yet. Opinions?

Thanks for your time!
9 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4807 posts
1801 upvotes
You need AMD video cards, lots of pcie slots. I think you will spend more on power then making much....
Deal Addict
May 13, 2012
1441 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
EEE2 wrote: You need AMD video cards, lots of pcie slots. I think you will spend more on power then making much....
I pretty much know what I need in terms of hardware.

What I am curious to know is if there are any coins out there that you see potential in for the future? I don't want to mine an alt coin and it end up going under. That would suck. I am seriously considering a litecoin rig though. It seems to be the next best thing to Bitcoin and is gaining momentum.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15213 posts
1671 upvotes
Markham
joeonepack wrote: I pretty much know what I need in terms of hardware.

What I am curious to know is if there are any coins out there that you see potential in for the future? I don't want to mine an alt coin and it end up going under. That would suck. I am seriously considering a litecoin rig though. It seems to be the next best thing to Bitcoin and is gaining momentum.
that's the whole point of investing/risk

and no one knows
ShadowVlican
Oct 28, 2001
247 posts
4 upvotes
What's the hardware you're planning to get? I'm considering building a $2k or so rig. I haven't done any system building for many years so I'm basically following the advice on www.coinminingrigs.com. Trying to find mining GPUs like R9 280X and PCI-e risers is not so easy these days...

The question is will something like this actually make any profit?
Deal Addict
May 13, 2012
1441 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
ewerx wrote: What's the hardware you're planning to get? I'm considering building a $2k or so rig. I haven't done any system building for many years so I'm basically following the advice on www.coinminingrigs.com. Trying to find mining GPUs like R9 280X and PCI-e risers is not so easy these days...

The question is will something like this actually make any profit?
I plan on building a 4-6 gpu rig with either 7950's or 7970's. Risers can be had on kijiji. :)

Profits can definitely still be made. with a 4 gpu rig at 2400 khs (600 khs each gpu) you can mine about 1.23 LTC per day.

http://www.litecoinminingcalculator.com ... 7079&fee=5

Factor in electricity per day on 1000W rig (avg 0.13 Kw/h x 24h = $3.12 ) and you've made about $45 a day. This of course does not factor in the increase in difficulty every 3.5 days or rise/fall in coin price.

The great thing about Litecoin and other altcoins is that all you need is a GPU setup to mine. They don't have ASIC rigs made for these and won't for a while.

Wanna pool? :D
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
1095 posts
558 upvotes
Montreal
You can also try with something like middlecoin, it will payout in BTC
Deal Addict
May 13, 2012
1441 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
fjanicki wrote: You can also try with something like middlecoin, it will payout in BTC
Never heard of it. Will definitely look into it.

Update: Middlecoin seems interesting. This is right from the website. ("This pool automatically mines the most profitable scrypt coin, automatically exchanges those coins for bitcoins, and pays out entirely in bitcoins.")

http://middlecoin.com/

The profits look too good to be true really. Will have to do some research on reliability and security.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
2002 posts
1465 upvotes
Regarding current profit - check dustcoin.com

Regarding future of these currencies - my crystal ball is as good as yours, and it says that bitcoin and litecoin are likely to survive (and perhaps do very well) over the next 3 years or so, and absolutely no clue what will happen to them next - I suspect if the digital currency idea is to take a firm hold in the world economy, then newer (much better optimized for the needs of trade etc) digital currencies will eventually replace bit/litecoins.

It is also likely that one of the third party coins will also flourish - just not clear which.

My goal is to pay off my bills (gear and electricity), and keep the rest of litecoins for a couple of years or so, hoping for a huge increase in value. If it doesn't happen, at least I'm not in the red, and learned something about OpenCL :) .

And it looks like GPU minining will be dead in 6 months or less, when scrypt ASICs arrive, so there is no time to loose. I just received a couple of PCI-E risers from amazon.com (Micro SATA Cables) - looks like a decent quality, and shipping from US was fast (4 days, over weekend) and cheap. SO it's time to fit my second 7950 into my rig.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2012
1441 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
pulsar123 wrote: Regarding current profit - check dustcoin.com

Regarding future of these currencies - my crystal ball is as good as yours, and it says that bitcoin and litecoin are likely to survive (and perhaps do very well) over the next 3 years or so, and absolutely no clue what will happen to them next - I suspect if the digital currency idea is to take a firm hold in the world economy, then newer (much better optimized for the needs of trade etc) digital currencies will eventually replace bit/litecoins.

It is also likely that one of the third party coins will also flourish - just not clear which.

My goal is to pay off my bills (gear and electricity), and keep the rest of litecoins for a couple of years or so, hoping for a huge increase in value. If it doesn't happen, at least I'm not in the red, and learned something about OpenCL :) .

And it looks like GPU minining will be dead in 6 months or less, when scrypt ASICs arrive, so there is no time to loose. I just received a couple of PCI-E risers from amazon.com (Micro SATA Cables) - looks like a decent quality, and shipping from US was fast (4 days, over weekend) and cheap. SO it's time to fit my second 7950 into my rig.
Thanks for the reply. I know ASICs are on the way, but shouldnt be until summer hopefully. Then I will just have to move on to other alternate currencies. :) Or if it's profitable enough, I may have to get in on the ASIC fad.