a minivan like caravan ?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2018 2:31 pm
[OP]
Mar 9, 2010
920 posts
83 upvotes

a minivan like caravan ?

I am looking for a minivan like caravan but no more dodge. Over the past year, we fix the dodge too much. Spent over 6k to fix it even through it lasted us around 15 years.

I want to get a minivan mostly for transporting goods or a van but I am not looking for anything luxury as well Anyone with basic pack will works but must be NEW.

Anyone have any good suggestion for a minivan like caravan replacement? if possible, I also would love to hear any deals you got lately for a similar.

Thank you so much.
25 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11753 posts
11370 upvotes
Oakville
$6k is less than $500 a year on maintenance. Sounds like you should buy another Caravan.
If you want reliability get a Sienna.
If your want cheap and not Dodge, get a Sedona.
If your want cargo, get a Ford Transit.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3301 posts
2686 upvotes
The NORTH
No price range? How about a Honda Odyssey Limited? Best minivan on the road right now.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
3050 posts
412 upvotes
Brampton
Umm, ya, sorry to say but after 15 years you have to put money into most vehicles.
I would get another caravan, as I dont think there is anything else competitive in the same price range.
Its best to get one with the heavy duty brakes, optional on 2012-2013, standard on 2014+.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3301 posts
2686 upvotes
The NORTH
prod wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 5:28 pm
Umm, ya, sorry to say but after 15 years you have to put money into most vehicles.
I would get another caravan, as I dont think there is anything else competitive in the same price range.
Its best to get one with the heavy duty brakes, optional on 2012-2013, standard on 2014+.
New caravans are absolute junk and I believe this is the last year for it as FCA is pushing people to the highly over priced pacifica. Test drive anything with 10k KM and you will find a vehicle that rattle's and squeeks more than a Lab Rat testing Triple Shot Caffeine pills. There is NO fit and finish at all and interior pieces creak and groan with any uneven road drowning out the substantial road noise with the ride of an old wooden roller coaster. With the good Pentastar engine this will truly be a vehicle that falls apart around the engine long before any of its competitors of similar vintage.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
3050 posts
412 upvotes
Brampton
kr0zet wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 5:39 pm
New caravans are absolute junk and I believe this is the last year for it as FCA is pushing people to the highly over priced pacifica. Test drive anything with 10k KM and you will find a vehicle that rattle's and squeeks more than a Lab Rat testing Triple Shot Caffeine pills. There is NO fit and finish at all and interior pieces creak and groan with any uneven road drowning out the substantial road noise with the ride of an old wooden roller coaster. With the good Pentastar engine this will truly be a vehicle that falls apart around the engine long before any of its competitors of similar vintage.
I bought a 2014 new and have no complaints, at about 60,000km now. Its no luxury SUV, but for $20k brand new, nothing can beat it.
INFORMATION: The requested thread does not exist.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3301 posts
2686 upvotes
The NORTH
prod wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 5:56 pm
I bought a 2014 new and have no complaints, at about 60,000km now. Its no luxury SUV, but for $20k brand new, nothing can beat it.
Been in 3 2017's all with less than 5k KM and all were garbage. Funny thing is that I have been in 3 due to my Grand Cherokee being in for recalls. My other family vehicle is a 2007 Chevy Uplander with 130k KM and i'd drive that over a new caravan any day of the week.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
2825 posts
1530 upvotes
Ontario
kr0zet wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 7:23 pm
Been in 3 2017's all with less than 5k KM and all were garbage. Funny thing is that I have been in 3 due to my Grand Cherokee being in for recalls. My other family vehicle is a 2007 Chevy Uplander with 130k KM and i'd drive that over a new caravan any day of the week.
What were the recalls for the JGC - only recent one I know is cruise software update and hardly a loaner job.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3301 posts
2686 upvotes
The NORTH
Martin (deal addict) wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 9:08 pm
What were the recalls for the JGC - only recent one I know is cruise software update and hardly a loaner job.
I didn't say I had a loaner, it was the dealerships shuttles that were the craptastic caravans. I had a brake booster shield that the parts finally came in on, a software update and an alternator diode. The alternator needs to be replaced but suprise, they don't have the part in stock (that was 2 months ago)... Running joke here is you don't get a part unless yours fails. My brake booster failed and had to be replaced last year, they still had it in to verify it was ok, guess they were replacing with parts not up to standard as the shield still needed to be replaced again.

I hate FCA soooo much but I love my Grand Cherokee. It's a terrible love triangle to be sure.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
2825 posts
1530 upvotes
Ontario
kr0zet wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 10:21 pm
I didn't say I had a loaner, it was the dealerships shuttles that were the craptastic caravans. I had a brake booster shield that the parts finally came in on, a software update and an alternator diode. The alternator needs to be replaced but suprise, they don't have the part in stock (that was 2 months ago)... Running joke here is you don't get a part unless yours fails. My brake booster failed and had to be replaced last year, they still had it in to verify it was ok, guess they were replacing with parts not up to standard as the shield still needed to be replaced again.

I hate FCA soooo much but I love my Grand Cherokee. It's a terrible love triangle to be sure.
Looks like I am outside the affected year for those other recalls that run up to 2014, but I always like to know any past weak points and keep an eye on them. My neighbor has 3 JGCs in the driveway including two identical Summits. Relative has his and hers JGCs too. Most owners love them.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4589 upvotes
Montreal
kr0zet wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 7:23 pm

We have a base 2017 Caravan for work that does not stop moving for most of every weekday, paid $22,000 and that included taxes. After almost 35,000km it does rattle on rough roads but other than that it is rock solid and very smooth on the highway. Then engine is smooth with good power, no problem getting 6 years+ out of this van for the same price of a base Civic. I can assure you it will be more reliable than a Cherokee. Everything is relative, it's downright dumb to compare this to a Japanese van with an MSRP double the price and expect the same level of quality. There is a massive market for a van in this price range, not everyone can drop $40-$50K for a Sienna or an Odyssey every 6 years only to watch their kids turn it into a pigpen.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2395 posts
455 upvotes
Winnipeg
What about Chrysler Pacifica?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
2825 posts
1530 upvotes
Ontario
Asker123 wrote:
Dec 21st, 2018 11:11 pm
What about Chrysler Pacifica?
Pacifica and Grand Caravan not only outsell Sienna and Odyssey in USA but both are increasing sales whereas the Honda and Sienna have declining year-on-year sales.

Grand Caravan outsells Sienna almost 2:1.

Grand Caravan is a more obvious value proposition than the Pacifica and for many looking for the practicality/versatility/accommodation on a tight budget it is a no brainer.