Computers & Electronics

Minix Neo X8-H Plus ..wait for black Friday?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2016 3:47 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON

Minix Neo X8-H Plus ..wait for black Friday?

My Minix Neo x7 is acting up and I am going to replace it with the Minix Neo X8-H Plus. I see it's on amazon.ca atm for $169

https://www.amazon.ca/Minix-Neo-Plus-X8 ... =minix+neo

I haven't shopped for one of these boxes since the x7 ..is this a reasonable price or should I wait for black Friday sales?
22 replies
Dec 31, 2015
136 posts
85 upvotes
toronto
jackie999 wrote: My Minix Neo x7 is acting up and I am going to replace it with the Minix Neo X8-H Plus. I see it's on amazon.ca atm for $169

https://www.amazon.ca/Minix-Neo-Plus-X8 ... =minix+neo

I haven't shopped for one of these boxes since the x7 ..is this a reasonable price or should I wait for black Friday sales?
the x8h is old model. the minix u1 is the one u need to get. the lowest price i've seen was $109 usd.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I had considered the U1 but decided on the plus x8 after reading comparisons and reviews...
With exchange rates being what they are I think I'll pass on US suppliers :)
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
Have you tried updating the firmware on your X7 to Kitkat 4.4 ? All my X7, X7 Mini are still working great with the older 4.2 firmwares.
The U1 is cheaper and more abundant these days, you should check out NCIX, I find they are the best Canadian reseller for Minix X8-H Plus and the U1. You will get your box in 2-3 days unlike 3-4 weeks on Amazon.
I myself is still using a X8-H, I see no reason in updating till I find a Plus or U1 for the cheap and by cheap I mean no more than $50cad !
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON
I changed my x7 to quickshot 3.1 quite a while ago (KK). Lately, when I go to switch to it (it's rarely turned off ...it runs sickbeard/nzbget) it appears asleep. Luckily, after plugging, unplugging, resetting - it's come back to life..I'm just thinking ahead to when it won't. I believe it's a hardware issue.
My biggest concern is getting the sickbeard/nzbget running again - there is very little android support for these features ..
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
EdT586 wrote: Have you tried updating the firmware on your X7 to Kitkat 4.4 ? All my X7, X7 Mini are still working great with the older 4.2 firmwares.
The U1 is cheaper and more abundant these days, you should check out NCIX, I find they are the best Canadian reseller for Minix X8-H Plus and the U1. You will get your box in 2-3 days unlike 3-4 weeks on Amazon.
I myself is still using a X8-H, I see no reason in updating till I find a Plus or U1 for the cheap and by cheap I mean no more than $50cad !
yeah no memory leak on older versions and with only 1 gb run quite well indeed
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3286 posts
1276 upvotes
The X8-H Plus is said to not get Kodi 17 which means mine and tons of others won't be able to upgrade when released..
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
redsfan wrote: The X8-H Plus is said to not get Kodi 17 which means mine and tons of others won't be able to upgrade when released..
No, Koying the guy responsible for coding Kodi for Android left Kodi. His version is called SPMC !
This is why Kodi is saying they will not support Android because they are looking for someone to.

You should try SPMC or XBMC Minix Edition which is now at v16.3 !
Your text to link here...
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
EdT586 wrote:
redsfan wrote: The X8-H Plus is said to not get Kodi 17 which means mine and tons of others won't be able to upgrade when released..
No, Koying the guy responsible for coding Kodi for Android left Kodi. His version is called SPMC !
This is why Kodi is saying they will not support Android because they are looking for someone to.

he's not completely wrong, 17 will need android api 22 or better and will replace/remove amlcodec support with media codec. The spmc 16.4.8 test build will not work on devices lower than api 22/android +5.0
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2014
1206 posts
529 upvotes
Pickering, ON
Hey if I can give you my 2 cents... Get the Amazon Fire TV box. Way better than any Android Box.

Fire TV still runs Android just a different interface.

I have 2 Minix and it's all the same.
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
lead wrote:
EdT586 wrote:

he's not completely wrong, 17 will need android api 22 or better and will replace/remove amlcodec support with media codec. The spmc 16.4.8 test build will not work on devices lower than api 22/android +5.0
No worries, the world has more talent than just Koying, with the Android device industry so huge, I am not worried one bit !
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
SleepyEyez wrote: Hey if I can give you my 2 cents... Get the Amazon Fire TV box. Way better than any Android Box.

LoL ...it can't even use the Play Store, AFT is already dead just like the rest of the Amazon gadgets !
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON
SleepyEyez wrote: Hey if I can give you my 2 cents... Get the Amazon Fire TV box. Way better than any Android Box.
Link to URL?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
4036 posts
2976 upvotes
Calgary

I'd have to disagree. the best supported android box is still the nvidia shield. i just got the lastest update (V3.3) last week & it runs like a dream, either spmc, youtube or gaming (albeit more like ps3 standard). best of all, its supported by koying (spmc) so im anxiously awaiting his 17 update :)
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
12014 posts
4369 upvotes
Winnipeg
scotsum wrote:

I'd have to disagree. the best supported android box is still the nvidia shield. i just got the lastest update (V3.3) last week & it runs like a dream, either spmc, youtube or gaming (albeit more like ps3 standard). best of all, its supported by koying (spmc) so im anxiously awaiting his 17 update :)
The fire tv's are supported very well by the manufacturer too. Pretty decent bang for buck for a quadcore stick for 39.99 usd. Both koying and Davilla are targeting it for support. They both have builds now for passthru and auto refresh rate working.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
4036 posts
2976 upvotes
Calgary
lead wrote:
scotsum wrote:

The fire tv's are supported very well by the manufacturer too. Pretty decent bang for buck for a quadcore stick for 39.99 usd. Both koying and Davilla are targeting it for support. They both have builds now for passthru and auto refresh rate working.
for cad$60+ or so, wouldnt one be better off with a Rpi3? it's f/w & s/w support community is legendary & hence more prone to upgraditis fever rather than obsoletion. I've an old rockchip stick running kodi in the bedroom & will be upgrading to a Rpi3 rather than any android based tv box. running openelec, its actually as fast on kodi than my shield tv
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2014
1206 posts
529 upvotes
Pickering, ON
scotsum wrote:

Agreed! The Shield is the best box out there but its also $200.00 where as the Fire TV is $100.00 - both USD.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
3309 posts
761 upvotes
Aurora, ON
SleepyEyez wrote: Get the Amazon Fire TV box. Way better than any Android Box
Actually I did try google...all I kept finding was that it wasn't available in Canada so I figured, since you were promoting it you might have a source.