Travel

MINT Sim for US longer travel and even cheap call/text in Canada * US SHIPPING ONLY

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2017 1:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 18, 2005
10475 posts
1922 upvotes
Kingston

MINT Sim for US longer travel and even cheap call/text in Canada * US SHIPPING ONLY

Caveat: They only ship their SIM card to US Addresses (even though their checkout seems to allow for other countries). Could have it sent to your destination if that works for you. Or get an Ameri-friend to mail it to you (its just an envelope)

Just got a Mint Sim card: https://www.mintsim.com/plans/
Uses T-Mobile network

Their approach is sort of a mini-contract. You buy 3/6/12 months of service all in advance. The good part is that it is only US$15/month.
And currently if you buy 3 months for $45 you get 6 months. That play includes unlimited talk and text plus 2GB of data per month (and unlimited data at reduced speed after that). I needed just over 3 months so this works out REALLY well for me.

And roaming IN Canada is
- free texts received (allows you to confirm it is working in your phone before you go)
- $0.02 for texts sent
- $0.06 for calls out
Texts TO Canada are free

Calls from US to International are cheap too: 1 cent per minute to Canada (thanks smacd)

Best deal I could find with a reasonable amount of data for the US. They call this their "Clever AF" Plan. Thier 12 month plan is called "Cleverer AF". :-)
Last edited by JWL on Dec 9th, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1 reply
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5390 posts
1547 upvotes
Kootenays
Wow, great deal for snowbirds. Any idea what it costs to call Canada from the US?

Found it...1 cent per minute.