Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
10955 posts
5982 upvotes
Toronto

Mio GPS free map updates

Mio Map Update Promo. Get a free map update from Mio.

Today’s world is evolving rapidly and we want to make sure that you can navigate these changes as easily as possible. To make sure that your Mio GPS stays up to date, Mio is offering owners of the Mio Moov family of products or Knight Rider GPS by Mio a FREE map update.

To qualify for and receive your free map update, please follow the steps outlined below:

Purchase any Mio Moov product or the Knight Rider GPS by Mio.

Register for The Map's on Mio promotion by February 20, 2009.
Enjoy!

Registrants of The Map's on Mio promotion will receive their free map update in 2009. Actual ship date is subject to change. For more information about Mio GPS products or where to purchase Mio GPS products, please visit www.mio.com/us.

The Map's on Mio free map update promotion is good for Mio Moov 200, 200c, 210, 300, 300c, 300x, 310 and 500 and Knight Rider GPS by Mio only. Offer good for United States and Canada only. To qualify for the The Map's on Mio promotion, customer must register qualifying product by February 20, 2009.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
1005 posts
21 upvotes
another sales pitch...

btw, map/software updates are "free" if you know where to find...
GOOGLE before you TWEET is the new Think before you Speak
Feb 25, 2008
31 posts
Hopefully it'll include US maps... but I doubt it. It wasn't until I drove down to the States with my 310 that I realized it only had Canadian maps. One can hope though, right?
Oct 5, 2008
13 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
I got a refurbed Cobra for $100 at XS Cargo in BC. Has maps for Canada AND the US and can not only find all of the Tim Hortons but also knows where the Army & Navy stores and the A&B Sound stores are. It's about a year out of date on the latter however since they keep coming and going.

You can add a SD card for more maps - but I don't know where to find them. Nothing on Cobra's site.

The map fades out at the US Mexico border BTW.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2003
4463 posts
166 upvotes
Burnaby
Spendwaytoomuch wrote:
Oct 4th, 2008 3:33 am
Hopefully it'll include US maps... but I doubt it. It wasn't until I drove down to the States with my 310 that I realized it only had Canadian maps. One can hope though, right?
You can easily get free maps for the c310 as that unit along with the c710 are the easiest to hack of all the units out there with the two button hack.

PM me if you need some direction.
Items for Sale:
...nothing for now...

References: eBay Feedback
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
10955 posts
5982 upvotes
Toronto
Got this from MIO

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for registering for the Mio Free Map Update Promotion. Your map
update will be available in May. We will contact you again using this email address
with detailed download instructions.

Here
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 16, 2002
10955 posts
5982 upvotes
Toronto
Finally got this today...

Thank you for registering for the Mio Free Map Update Promotion. Your map update is ready to download and includes additional streets and addresses, new Points of Interest and much more. You will need:

o USB cable to transfer the map update from your computer to your Mio device.
o The latest version of the MioMore Desktop Application. A service pack is included in the download to update your software to the latest version. If you did not install the desktop application when you purchased your Mio device, please do so now.
o Product Key. Your Product Key is:********* We strongly advise that you save this email with the product key information.
o Detailed Installation Instructions:
Click here to download a Free Map Update Quick Start Guide in PDF format. (English version)
Click here to download a Free Map Update Quick Start Guide in PDF format. (Spanish version)
Click here to download a Free Map Update Quick Start Guide in PDF format. (French version)

To ensure a successful update, please download, read and carefully follow the instructions in the Free Map Update Quick Start Guide. Here is an overview of the steps you will be performing and the links you will require for downloads:

1. Backup the data files on your Mio device before updating. This will allow you to restore your files in the unlikely event it is necessary.
2. Install MioMore Desktop Software: Click here to install the latest version of MioMore Desktop.
3. Install New Maps: To download and install the maps, click here.
4. Connect to your PC: Connect your Mio device to your PC with the USB cable and launch the Mio More Desktop.
5. Update and Activate New Maps: Click the Activation button on the MioMore Desktop Application Home Page. Enter the Product key provided in this email.

If you experience any technical problems, please contact our Mio Technical support Team by visiting our support website at Service.mio.com
Aug 7, 2007
388 posts
98 upvotes
This update is a bit funky. I downloaded and installed the service pack for MioMore Desktop and activated it. All good so far. When you get to the point where you have to update the maps on the GPS, I can only update the Canada maps. If I select the major North American roadways map, I get an error that the map is not available. Also, I can select the US maps (which I did because I thought maybe the major roadways map isn't available because we now get the full US maps) but then the MioMore Desktop application crashes (using Vista Home Premium).

Anyone else getting this issue?
Jun 23, 2003
16 posts
Moerby wrote:
Jun 9th, 2009 6:58 am
This update is a bit funky. I downloaded and installed the service pack for MioMore Desktop and activated it. All good so far. When you get to the point where you have to update the maps on the GPS, I can only update the Canada maps. If I select the major North American roadways map, I get an error that the map is not available. Also, I can select the US maps (which I did because I thought maybe the major roadways map isn't available because we now get the full US maps) but then the MioMore Desktop application crashes (using Vista Home Premium).

Anyone else getting this issue?
i get this EXACT same issue...

it's been 5 hours of troubleshooting, but i think i'm out of ideas...

it SHOULD work, right? why would they send us a bugged update?
Mar 2, 2009
3 posts
Same issue. License activation went fine, but when I try to install the new maps the program crashes. Mio tech support is of no help, they kept saying its my computer's problem even when I told them I've tried it on 3 different computers and I get the same message. They also mentioned uninstalling/reinstalling the programs and also disabling firewall, no dice. Hopefully they will release an upgrade that actually works.
Jun 23, 2003
16 posts
here's the reply I got from Mio... haven't tried it out yet though.

"Dear Matt, Thank you for contacting Mio. We understand your need and we are trying our best to satisfy your demand. Please disregard my previous email. Thank you. Regarding concern, it may be a problem with the memory left on the device. Are there voice files still installed on the device? If none, we need to reformat the unit to ensure having enough free space to successfully download the whole updated maps. To do this, plese follow the steps below: 1. Connect the device to the computer. 2. Access My Computer. 3. Right Click on Mio Device and choose Format. About the error message encountered with the Miomore desktop, it is possible that the application encountered some problem during its download. You may uninstall the application first and do the update process again. To uninstall the Miomore desktop from your computer, please follow the steps below: 1. Go to My Computer. 2. Click on Add/Remove Programs. 3. Find Miomore Desktop and click Remove/Uninstall. After this, you have to open the old Miomore desktop again and run again the service pack that you downloaded from the email. Please do the update process once more as instructed on the Quick Start Guide. Should you have any questions or need technical assistance, please feel free to email us again or call us back at 1-866 6464477. For faster service, we strongly recommend you to take advantage of our online chat tool to receive real time response from our customer service representatives. Or you can visit our website at http://us.mio.com. Sincerely, Rejela Sanchez Mio Customer Support"
Mar 25, 2006
241 posts
8 upvotes
Somewhere
Same issue here! Tried re-installing the mio more desktop app and re-downloading the .iso file also, but still no go. It looks to me like they are checking for the version of unit you have (i.e. canadian version of moov 300), and only allowing the Canadian maps to be installed. Are they not aware of the issues, is definately a licensing check error thing.
Jun 22, 2010
1 posts
Lawton, OK, USA
Here we go folks…
The Mio map update CD, is only good for one unit, as the serial number is proprietary. I have two c310x units. When I bought the map update, they didn’t tell me that it was only good for one! I did the firmware update okay, but it wouldn’t take my serial number for the map update. I called support, and they gave me an activation number, and the maps loaded. When I went to load the other one, is when I found out that it wouldn’t work. After calling support, they told me that I had to purchase a new update disc at a cost of $75.00. After regaining my composure, he informed me that Mio had a special on the cM401, at a cost of $89.95 exchange, and that with so little a difference e between the disc, and the new unit, I would be better off getting the cM401. I said yeah, you bet!... I researched the problem on the net, and found a cM401 for the same price at Circuit City, without an exchange! And a lot of solutions that were somewhat successful, but you took your chances… By this time I was a little more than upset with Mio…
So I thought about it for a while, then it came to me, just how simple the solution was!!!
So here’s what you do ladies and gentlemen.
After loading the firmware on the first unit, and then loading the maps, (make sure you right down, or copy and paste the serial number and the activation code from the first unit to notepad or word) then proceed…the disc is no good any more right? Wrong!!!
Update the firmware on the second unit. (You won’t be able to use your old maps after that) not to worry though, that isn’t a problem.
Set up the first unit up as though you were going to reload the maps; with the same serial number and activation code as before, which you had written down right?
Turn on your second unit, hit the download map button, then immediately switch the USB cable from the first unit to the second unit, and bingo, you have the new maps loading onto your second unit.
Normally, I wouldn’t post this kind of a work around, but Mio is ripping us off, and they are ticking me off as well. Enjoy… Dr. Carl
Jul 3, 2010
1 posts
canada
Hello,

I have a Mio moov 580 and I lost the DVD...

The software in not available on US site for my 580, and in Europe I can order for 14 EUR (if I have an address there)...

Please, can anybody help me?

Sam
× < >