Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Wrist-based Heart Rate Monitor (Up to $40 off + free shipping)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 5th, 2015 3:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2006
3403 posts
974 upvotes
Vaughan

Wrist-based Heart Rate Monitor (Up to $40 off + free shipping)

Deal Link:
Expiry:
July 31, 2015
Stumbled on this deal while on Google.

For a limited time, you and your friends and family can save up to $40 off + Free Shipping on select Mio heart rate wearables!

To start saving, use Promo Code MIOFRIENDS on the last step of checkout!
Mio LINK
Mio FUSE
Mio ALPHA 2

Available only in Canada and the US. Offer ends July 31, 2015 at 11:59PM. No adjustments to previous orders. Not available with any other offers.

Comes out to $151.82 CAD for the Mio FUSE. (Reg price: $169 CAD + tax)

----------
EDIT: Thanks to FrankHare for telling us about the 25% off coupon: ANNMARIELICA .... Mio Fuse with this coupon is $143.23 CAD.
32 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
I have a miolink that I use with my Garmin 910XT as I paddle and the chest strap is crazy annoying; Mio is one of two companies that use very accurate opticals to measure HR, good products. I love mine!! (I got the yellow and black - just so that it's easy to spot in my bags).
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2011
1801 posts
1266 upvotes
Really want a wrist strap heart rate monitor but these still seem a bit too pricy.
The Xiaomi mi band's next update will have a hear rate monitor(Though it still wont have a display screen, so *BEST* case scenario, it'll use the same UI as the MIO link to show your heart rate.. Worst case, it will require you to glance at your phone) so if you're as cheap as me, odds are you'll hold off on that one.
Should see it atleast get an announced price in the next few weeks, since there are already patent pics popping up(Has the EXACT same form factor as the current miband, so i would expect the battery life to be junk)
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
3365 posts
3737 upvotes
Toronto
Considering the apple watch is now out, these should be in the $50 range
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Considering the apple watch is now out, these should be in the $50 range
:razz: :lol: :razz: :lol: :razz: :lol:

WTF does that overpriced piece of Apple cr@p have to do with the cost/value of an actual branded athletic Heartrate Monitor????
Can you smell it????
.....smells like an Apple Faaaaaannnnnnnnbooooooooyyyyyyyy!!!!!! :razz:
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2005
4481 posts
901 upvotes
Edmonton
Woah! wrote: :razz: :lol: :razz: :lol: :razz: :lol:

WTF does that overpriced piece of Apple cr@p have to do with the cost/value of an actual branded athletic Heartrate Monitor????
Can you smell it????
.....smells like an Apple Faaaaaannnnnnnnbooooooooyyyyyyyy!!!!!! :razz:
Agreed Apple is not a fitness product. Apple is a product for people whom can't be bothered.
Heatware
The difference between wanting and needing is how you justify it.
Jan 17, 2006
959 posts
302 upvotes
Mississauga
I have the Mio Fuse and use it a lot. Bought it on a sale earlier this year 143.23 CAD with taxes and free shipping (had to buy two to get that price but my workout buddy wanted one too anyway)

Pros: I compared the HR readings with a Polar H7 chest strap and it is quite accurate, so much more comfortable and works beautiful with Casca Run (MeeRun) and other sport tracker apps (I pair mine to a BlackBerry Passport). I use it for bike riding, swimming and cardio workouts. Bluetooth has a good range, I leave the cellphone on my bag while doing Kickboxing and Boot Camps and the app records the HR just fine...

Cons: The android app in not very good, slow and buggy and not very intuitive. They have been promising a software and firmware update since forever and it never comes, it is supposed to eventually be able to export workouts (so you can import to a sport tracker app later when used by itself) and also track sleep patterns which I am not really interested in but its a popular feature. Sometimes it is tough to get the buttons to work, have to press several times.

Overall a good purchase at that price if like me you what you want is to replace a very uncomfortable chest strap and pair it to a smartphone with a sport tracking app. If in the other hand you want it for the activity tracking and pedometer functions and don't want to deal with 3rd party apps then there are much better options out there like a fitbit, etc...
Jan 17, 2006
959 posts
302 upvotes
Mississauga
By the way, if you want a wrist HRM, no point on looking at other brands, no one comes even close in regards to accuracy. Mio somehow figured out a way to do it but they use some proprietary technology or algorithms or something that no one else has been able to match so far... unless you go with a company that uses MIO HRM readers in their watches like TomTom...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1785 upvotes
Montreal
Mio is excellent and that strikes me as a good deal. However, I have the Scosche Rhythm + and prefer it to the Mio Link.
Phils
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14470 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote: Considering the apple watch is now out, these should be in the $50 range
Did you type that troll post with your $500 Apple watch? Bet you feel like a winner this morning.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
A bit off topic, but the new Garmin FR225 (uses the Mio sensors) now has the optical HR built into the bottom; it's super nice (good review from DC Rainmaker) but I find it too bulky; since I just got my 910XT (at $150) I think I'll wait until Garmin comes out with a bit smaller unit, the FR225 seems really bulky on the wrist.

Mio Link review: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/01/mio- ... -look.html

In terms of these optical sensors the most accurate are the ones from Mio and Valencell (according to DC Rainmaker).
Ref: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/05/garm ... al-hr.html
Dec 13, 2012
837 posts
600 upvotes
TORONTO
thanks OP. Quite interested in the Mio Fuse as I was looking for a watch/wristband with HR. Anyone here have any comments about tracking heart rate with Fuse while weight lifting? I read on a Amazon review that while the readings are accurate for running/cardio stuff, it's rather off for weight training.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
How can they be off? The sensors are accurate; the only way that the sensors are off is that if the band is not snug on your skin and light gets in between the band and your skin, which would throw off the sensor reading.
Dec 13, 2012
837 posts
600 upvotes
TORONTO
vodka wrote: How can they be off? The sensors are accurate; the only way that the sensors are off is that if the band is not snug on your skin and light gets in between the band and your skin, which would throw off the sensor reading.
ok i did some googling and it seems that wrist-based optical HR sensors aren't really accurate for weight lifting. This is from a response on apple discussions:

While lifting weights, heart rate monitors on your wrist (including the heart rate monitor on the apple watch) are very inaccurate (this is normal). This is because when you constrict your muscles when lifting weights the muscles in your arms tighten up and restrict blood flow to your wrist, as a result your BPM will read lower then expected. When you stop lifting the weight and rest a while (in your case you stop lifting weight to restart your apple watch) your muscles relax and allow the blood to reach your wrist, as a result your BPM will be more accurate. Heart rate monitors on your wrist are not accurate when your are lifting weights, but they are very accurate when you do activities that do not use your arm muscles, such as running, yoga, and normal activities. Don't worry your apple watch is running properly, it is just that heart weight monitors on wrists do not give accurate results when weight lifting.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2007
2952 posts
1061 upvotes
Seems like a plausible explanation, but w/o any kind of proof (i.e. chest strap HRM vs wrist based HRM readings) this is all theory of course.

I can tell you that I paddle and my forearm muscles get super lactic during my races/trainings and there are no issues with the wrist based HRM; I believe there is a recommendation from MIO that if you bike with it, you wear should wear it with the sensors on the inside of your arm...
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2006
6685 posts
3696 upvotes
Canada,Eh!
How do you guys workout with free-weights with any kind of a heart rate monitor on your wrist???

I've tried before, but always find that the watch gets in the way of doing exercises like cable x-overs, dumbbell lifts (with PowerBlocks) , and the chest strap is in the worst possible spot for flat bench presses and preacher curls.
It'd be nice to get an accurate heart-rate reading while lifting, but it's one of the few exercises/sports where I find monitoring gets in the way.

Owning several different model Polar HRM's, I do love using them for indoor rowing on a Concept II, treadmills & bikes, especially if the machine's computer is Polar compatible and I can skip wearing the watch part.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2006
1203 posts
59 upvotes
Woodbridge
lbmeyer wrote: ok i did some googling and it seems that wrist-based optical HR sensors aren't really accurate for weight lifting. This is from a response on apple discussions:

While lifting weights, heart rate monitors on your wrist (including the heart rate monitor on the apple watch) are very inaccurate (this is normal). This is because when you constrict your muscles when lifting weights the muscles in your arms tighten up and restrict blood flow to your wrist, as a result your BPM will read lower then expected. When you stop lifting the weight and rest a while (in your case you stop lifting weight to restart your apple watch) your muscles relax and allow the blood to reach your wrist, as a result your BPM will be more accurate. Heart rate monitors on your wrist are not accurate when your are lifting weights, but they are very accurate when you do activities that do not use your arm muscles, such as running, yoga, and normal activities. Don't worry your apple watch is running properly, it is just that heart weight monitors on wrists do not give accurate results when weight lifting.
Can confirm.... Tried the Mio fuse before getting new polar v800, its pretty good for cardio, but still don't find it as accurate a chest strap(best way to describe deficiency is laggy) but definitely better then anything else out there. Completely, useless for weightlifting.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2006
1203 posts
59 upvotes
Woodbridge
Woah! wrote: It'd be nice to get an accurate heart-rate reading while lifting, but it's one of the few exercises/sports where I find monitoring gets in the way.
Flat bench? weird I have no issues with chest strap but I guess everyone is different. First time I hear of chest strap getting in the way of any bench exercises. Preacher curls and anything where your chest is pressed against the machine could be a issue for some people.

The worst thing about wrist hrms is they're way more bulky then normal training watches.
Dec 13, 2012
837 posts
600 upvotes
TORONTO
camber wrote: Can confirm.... Tried the Mio fuse before getting new polar v800, its pretty good for cardio, but still don't find it as accurate a chest strap(best way to describe deficiency is laggy) but definitely better then anything else out there. Completely, useless for weightlifting.
Thanks for feedback and confirmation. Guess I'll just not rely on it for when doing weights.