Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 24, 2015
131 posts
14 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON

MIR(Mail In Rebates)

Anyone bother with MIR? For me I can't stand it. I never use it and never will. Is not worth the hassle imo. Anyone here beg to differ? Post your thoughts here about it.
20 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16873 posts
9213 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
oo2k15 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2015 1:22 am
Anyone bother with MIR? For me I can't stand it. I never use it and never will. Is not worth the hassle imo. Anyone here beg to differ? Post your thoughts here about it.
Anyone bother to use RFD Forum search to look for existing information and comments about topics that have been discussed and discussed and discussed for years—before they start yet another thread about the same topic?
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2567 posts
1611 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
oo2k15 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2015 1:22 am
...and that, my friend, is why companies will continue to offer them and not reduce their prices instead.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Mar 17, 2015
145 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Mostly a horrible waste of time, mostly, however , if you had a coupon for $50 or $100 off, your telling me you wont go through the effort to mail it?
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2007
1833 posts
597 upvotes
Guelph
Berkley fishing line, buy 2 spools get $8 mir. Received after 3 weeks.

Minn Kota trolling motor rebate, $25 amex card. Mailed in 1 month ago. Received email confirmation, shipped out.

No problems here.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2012
2865 posts
657 upvotes
Toronto
I've only done 2 mir. Got 1st after like 6-8 weeks, didn't get 2nd because I mailed it a day late.
¯\_(・_・)_/¯
This line is heavy..
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
5156 posts
1209 upvotes
Kanata
Does anyone know how this even came to be? We pay taxes on the original price, then we have to print it out, and stamp it and mail it out. The $15 on MIR is now suddenly ~12.xx

I hate it, I don't buy things with MIR attached to them. It's such a bad practice that's been allowed to continue. I've seen certain stores increase prices of item, then attach an MIR to it and call it a sale.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
47232 posts
5166 upvotes
Toronto
Tabooger wrote:
Apr 30th, 2015 2:10 pm
Does anyone know how this even came to be? We pay taxes on the original price, then we have to print it out, and stamp it and mail it out. The $15 on MIR is now suddenly ~12.xx

I hate it, I don't buy things with MIR attached to them. It's such a bad practice that's been allowed to continue. I've seen certain stores increase prices of item, then attach an MIR to it and call it a sale.
Tigerdirect, that's why they're gone. I avoid MIR if possible but if the deal is good with a bit of MIR then sure why not, worst case you lose a bit but the deal still ends up being good. If it was a higher amount for the MIR then i'd be hesitant because i've had like two out five not come in despite mailing it in time and what not.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1719 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
For the most part, "MIR"="Main In RIPOFF".

Avoid.

On the positive side, the three worst offenders, in my experience, are now gone/going: OD, FS, and - everybody hates them - TD.

Karma. :)
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2007
1833 posts
597 upvotes
Guelph
Tornado F2 wrote:
May 1st, 2015 11:14 pm
For the most part, "MIR"="Main In RIPOFF".

Avoid.

On the positive side, the three worst offenders, in my experience, are now gone/going: OD, FS, and - everybody hates them - TD.

Karma. :)
TD is still in business.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5025 posts
4122 upvotes
Toronto
I do them all the time because it's the only way to get new computer hardware at a discount.

Out of a couple of dozen I did in the past couple of years, only 1 was denied from Amazon. I called them and they resolved it, their system failed to scan the invoice from Amazon correctly. So far just about everything is from 4myrebate with a few exceptions, it generally works if you are good at following instructions and are ready to follow up on it if it fails.

I never tried TD however.

It's a hassle yes, complexity is done on purpose to discourage people doing it. They could do online processing easily, but they don't because so many MIRs never get collected and expire.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30141 posts
1361 upvotes
Fernando Po
I hate rebates, and nowadays, they're down right stupid. Anything under $10 you're not going to come out ahead after sending the material to the states ($1.50) and the effort required. I would ignore any rebate under $20. Another thing annoying is when a store publishes after rebate prices to lure you in. Its not a honest way of doing business. Anyway, I am aware of it and remove the rebate price when making a decision (less than $20 that is). Anything over $20 I do the work and send in the material begrudgingly. Anything over $30 is a no-no, wouldn't even consider the purchase. ASRock is the worst lately. They have large rebates and they're conditional on your getting all the material to them within ten days of invoice. Good luck with that.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
751 upvotes
Vancouver
Hassle, yes
Would i buy one without MIR at higher price? No, ill still take the one with MIR.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
31372 posts
2773 upvotes
Winnipeg
avoid anything with multiple MIR, although I've only seen that with TD, also avoid any MIR item from TD