• Last Updated:
  • May 5th, 2015 7:18 am
Tags:
None
Mar 17, 2015
145 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mail ins are a incognito way of making most people pay full price while being able to market a lower price. I bet the actual redemption of mail in rebates are 10% or less. Just lower the price of the item, don't play around with people.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Exocet77 wrote:
May 2nd, 2015 5:11 am
TD is still in business.
Hence "going". At least in the B&M sense.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
Clasher01 wrote:
May 4th, 2015 3:07 pm
mail ins are a incognito way of making most people pay full price while being able to market a lower price. I bet the actual redemption of mail in rebates are 10% or less. Just lower the price of the item, don't play around with people.
I used to send for all the promised rebates, correctly fulfilling all requirements. Some stores/manufacturers honoured their MIRs flawlessly. But others - esp TD, FS, OD - didn't, even when followed up with emails/phone calls. Eventually I just stopped buying anything with a MIR (considering them nothing but ripoffs) and avoided those 3 retailers where possible. It seems to be the only recourse consumers in this country (except perhaps QC) have.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41820 posts
1718 upvotes
Ali proudly stood up…
divx wrote:
May 4th, 2015 2:37 am
avoid anything with multiple MIR, although I've only seen that with TD, also avoid any MIR item from TD
It used to annoy me that US customers got better deals than CDNs after the MIR was factored in, because at the time their MIRs were in US$ while ours - at the same numerical amount - were in less-valuable CDN$. We also paid higher taxes on the pre-MIR price. And probably higher shipping fees too. Foolishly I still believed their promises though, and ordered quite a lot from them, building several custom desktop PCs. Eventually though I came to realise that despite all the hassle no MIR of $10 or more arrived, even when I followed their instructions to the most minute detail. At that point I stopped even looking at their site, and never once stepped into their stores. Around the same time I realised that OD were just as bad. There is evidence to indicate that both companies were actually part of the same corporation, as was one of TD's rebate processing companies. It's all just a scam, which I (and many other customers it seems) refused to keep falling for. They can't go out of business completely soon enough.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6020 posts
782 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I think of MIR as icing on the cake. I don't expect it to come so when it does it's quite a nice surprise. Also I avoid the big rebates like getting $50 off as they get too risky. Having said all that I think I was ever denied twice so MIR has been generally good to me. Still it's a hassle that I can do without.
There's a sucker born every minute.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30016 posts
1315 upvotes
Fernando Po
number8888 wrote:
May 4th, 2015 5:01 pm
I think of MIR as icing on the cake. I don't expect it to come so when it does it's quite a nice surprise. Also I avoid the big rebates like getting $50 off as they get too risky. Having said all that I think I was ever denied twice so MIR has been generally good to me. Still it's a hassle that I can do without.
Just don't buy anything based on the after rebate price.