Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Amazon.ca

Miracle-Gro AeroGarden Extra with Gourmet Herb Seed Pod Kit - $159.95

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 25th, 2016 1:28 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43247 upvotes
ONTARIO
I saw some guy on YouTube growing cukes in his Aerogarden. Would be cool to try that.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5314 posts
1250 upvotes
cquilliam wrote:
BobSagget wrote:
Funny I was writing out a post almost identical to yours and I hit refresh before posting to see if anyone else had posted in the mean time.
Yeah the pricing on that site is nuts when you factor in conversion and the crazy shipping fee.

I was thinking that buying a 50-pack of grow sponges for $15 and re-using the plastic baskets that come with the herb kit included with the pack along with my own seeds would be a better value.
https://www.amazon.ca/Miracle-Gro-AeroG ... s=aerogrow
I think this is the way to go. I got my Aerogarden Harvest Elite as a wedding gift, and we were running with the international basil kit for the last 5 months or so, they turned out fantastic (I'm obsessed with basil). So recently, I did a cleaning of the Aerogarden while I decided on what to grow next. I had a few extra plants left over, a couple of Dill's from seeds that came with the Aerogarden. I took the seeds out of the pods and planted some red and green bell peppers from seeds straight from fresh peppers, and so far, they're growing amazingly. So, I think the next batch of things I'm buy is just the grow spunges and re-usable pods.

I love my aerogarden.
Just to clarify, these "pods" come with sponge/seed(s) in them. If I want to grow something else, I don't need to buy extra sponges, I can just remove the existing seeds?
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43247 upvotes
ONTARIO
JustBob wrote:
cquilliam wrote:
BobSagget wrote:
Funny I was writing out a post almost identical to yours and I hit refresh before posting to see if anyone else had posted in the mean time.
Yeah the pricing on that site is nuts when you factor in conversion and the crazy shipping fee.

I was thinking that buying a 50-pack of grow sponges for $15 and re-using the plastic baskets that come with the herb kit included with the pack along with my own seeds would be a better value.
https://www.amazon.ca/Miracle-Gro-AeroG ... s=aerogrow
I think this is the way to go. I got my Aerogarden Harvest Elite as a wedding gift, and we were running with the international basil kit for the last 5 months or so, they turned out fantastic (I'm obsessed with basil). So recently, I did a cleaning of the Aerogarden while I decided on what to grow next. I had a few extra plants left over, a couple of Dill's from seeds that came with the Aerogarden. I took the seeds out of the pods and planted some red and green bell peppers from seeds straight from fresh peppers, and so far, they're growing amazingly. So, I think the next batch of things I'm buy is just the grow spunges and re-usable pods.

I love my aerogarden.
Just to clarify, these "pods" come with sponge/seed(s) in them. If I want to grow something else, I don't need to buy extra sponges, I can just remove the existing seeds?
Yes, you can take seeds out of a sponge and replace them with your own if you wanted to.
There's probably a better one, but here's the first video I found on YouTube of someone replacing the seeds in a seed pod kit with his own.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 25, 2010
5314 posts
1250 upvotes
Thanks Bob, looks easy enough!
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43247 upvotes
ONTARIO
This is quite cool. Saw this pic on Reddit. This is what I'm hoping my results are like, but with peppers.

Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43247 upvotes
ONTARIO
We have lift off!

One of them is different looking because I used a seed pod from the herb kit that came with the machine and scraped out the seeds and replaced them with pepper seeds. I obviously missed one and I think a thai basil started to grow!

As of yesterday the 2 lighter colour ones were literally not even there at all, then I checked it tonight and holy moly they sprouted up fast and are already overtaking the dark green one that's been slowly growing for days now.

Soon time to lose the dome and snip off a couple of them.

Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43247 upvotes
ONTARIO
Decided to take another picture yesterday of my progress. This is coming along nicely. Very fun to watch it grow.

Jan 18, 2012
221 posts
140 upvotes
That looks awesome.

I just ordered the Ultra version lightning deal 50% off Amazon. I can't wait to start growing... The only issue I have is that the plant food is pretty much NPK fertilizers.... not truly organic.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43247 upvotes
ONTARIO
I am sure if you do your research, you might be able to find a suitable alternative fertilizer.
I bought another brand to try because I had heard it is good. It's definitely not organic though. It's called FloraNova by General Hydroponics. Looking forward to trying it out on my next feeding cycle to see if it makes a difference compared to the Aerogarden kind.

I am glad I have been documenting the progress with pictures. Because I find it so cool to look at that picture above that I posted and realize that was taken just 8 days ago. You can see the second set of true leaves are just starting to grow out on it. Today those second set are much larger and you can even see the third and fourth set coming in.

(excuse the duct tape lol, i dont have proper spacers to cover the unused pods, so i am using tape)
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43247 upvotes
ONTARIO
Felt like updating again. Once again can't believe looking at that pic above it was just a month ago.
My pepper plant is starting to grow little flowers. Was hard to get a pic of them, but there looks to be 7-8 or so. Very exciting.

You can see a tiny one in the middle in this pic: