• Oct 24th, 2012 11:00 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 19, 2012
66 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary

Mirorless Camera which to consider Lumix gf2 or Olympus E-PL2

Looking to purchase a decent Mirorless Camera, something that takes better pictures than standard digital camera but not as bulky as a full size DSLR.

I am considering between these 2 models, the Lumix gf2 or Olympus E-PL2.

Both have decent reviews but I am leading more towards the Olympus because of image stabilizer and j.
12 replies
Jul 28, 2007
42 posts
26 upvotes
Did you consider the Sony NEX series? I've been doing tons of research lately myself since I'm planning to get one. I'm still flip-flopping between DSLR and mirrorless though...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6564 posts
264 upvotes
Markham
There's an Art & Photography forum...
This space for rent
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
Of the two, I'd take the PL2
- better jpg quality
- inbody stabilization

The NEX would be superior to both, but the lenses tend to be a bit larger.
Sep 19, 2012
66 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
Mr Nobody wrote: There's an Art & Photography forum...
My mistake maybe we can have this thread moved over to the right Forum
Sep 19, 2012
66 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
Sony make a great product but the lenses are too big for what I want it for, it's not actually for me it's for the folks as a X Mas gift. They want something better than a basic digital camera but still compact.

What about the Nikon 1 J1 or J2 vs the Olympus?
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
You won't go wrong with the PL2 or PL3.

The Nikon's advantage is mainly its better focussing (more accurate/faster), but it won't have better picture quality. If you can get a good deal on one, it's worth considering.
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10544 posts
4141 upvotes
Toronto
jdm1985 wrote: Sony make a great product but the lenses are too big for what I want it for, it's not actually for me it's for the folks as a X Mas gift. They want something better than a basic digital camera but still compact.

What about the Nikon 1 J1 or J2 vs the Olympus?
They probably won't be taking advantage of the interchangeable lens aspect right? Why not get something like a Canon S110/100, Olympus XZ-1/2 or if you got more cash a Sony RX100?

Yeah it sucks that Panny doesn't have in-body stabilization :/. Olympus has it so it can take advantage of it's in-body stabilization to use all those good Panny lenses without stabilization.
Sep 19, 2012
66 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
That's the thing they will be switching to a longer zoom lense when required but want the small body and lens for the majority of the time. They do want the Flexibly also when I borrow the camera :) .

I've been reading and a lot of the reviews are going towards the Nikon 1 J1 with VR lense over the Olympus E-Pl2 or 3
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10544 posts
4141 upvotes
Toronto
Micro 4/3rd has more lens options though since it's been around longer. Nikon has limited amount of lenses unless you use an adapter.
Sep 19, 2012
66 posts
3 upvotes
Calgary
So between the Pany GF 1, GF 2 and Olympus E-Pl2 you would go with the Olymp
Jun 27, 2007
215 posts
36 upvotes
The latest E-PM2 or E-PL5 of course, they have the best Sony sensors nowadays, better than OM-D and on par with the latest Sony NEX-6. Sony does not have good lenses for its NEX line.

Just wait for the Christmas discounts. gf2 and E-PL2 ere too outdated with mediocre picture quality by today's standards.
jdm1985 wrote: Looking to purchase a decent Mirorless Camera, something that takes better pictures than standard digital camera but not as bulky as a full size DSLR.

I am considering between these 2 models, the Lumix gf2 or Olympus E-PL2.

Both have decent reviews but I am leading more towards the Olympus because of image stabilizer and j.
Jun 27, 2007
215 posts
36 upvotes
Don't go with Nikon 1, it is a dead-end technology and a huge mistake from Nikon. The sensor is too small but cameras and lenses are still large. If you are OK with P&S then looks at Sony RX100 (better sensor) or Panasonic LX7 (better lens).

If you are looking for a system camera with interchangeable lenses, your best bet would be Olympus E-PM2 or E-PL5 if you need the best picture quality and auto-focus. But they have pretty small LCD.

Sony NEX-6 with new pancake lens is pretty compact too but it looks like the lens itself is not good (unless those tests were done with faulty lenses). Micro 4/3 at least has a proven list of very high-quality lenses and E-PM2/E-PL5 has the best available sensor for now.

You can also wait for newer Panasonic cameras if they have GH3 sensor in them (which is the same as E-PM2/E-PL5 according to rumors).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)