Tags:
None
Sep 23, 2013
654 posts
809 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Mirrorless or P&S as 2nd camera

Hey all,

I've been thinking for some time now about getting a second camera to complement my 5d mark iii and im not sure which direction to go. I want something small for days I dont want to lug the tank around. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

It would be used 90% of the time for stills and my main subjects would be my 2 toddler sons. I dont want to spend more than $700-$800 and I'm not married to Canon by any means.

Thanks in advance
28 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1897 posts
557 upvotes
North York
Sounds like an a6000 to me.
Sep 23, 2013
654 posts
809 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
thericyip wrote: Sounds like an a6000 to me.
yes, I've read quite a bit on the image quality of sony sensors. If going the sony mirrorless route, would you recommend I get the adaptor for my canon glass? If so, I fear a may be going back to a heavy load. Is sony's 16-50mm any good?
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
Olympus E-M10. Smaller body than the A6000 but it has a better selection of lenses. You can use Panasonic lenses as well.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
hartzfizzo wrote: yes, I've read quite a bit on the image quality of sony sensors. If going the sony mirrorless route, would you recommend I get the adaptor for my canon glass? If so, I fear a may be going back to a heavy load. Is sony's 16-50mm any good?
The 16-50 is an A-OK lens. Don't expect it to produce miracles but it won't let you down with a versatile range. 16mm is great for selfies.

As an olympus fan boi, i suggest you go smaller and look at Olympus. Yes image quality is not as great but who cares it's an awesome camera system that's fast, small and tons of small lenses to choose from. My workhorse is a 6D and fun camera an Olympus E-PL5.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
If it was me, I would look for small camera with a prime like the x100 or similar. No need for interchange lenses
Sep 23, 2013
654 posts
809 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Olympus E-M10. Smaller body than the A6000 but it has a better selection of lenses. You can use Panasonic lenses as well.
Another great choice, and it seems I can't go wrong with the IQ of either. To help end the thread, would you guys recommend that i abandon the notion of an advanced p&s like a G1X?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15620 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
MoonDoggy wrote: If it was me, I would look for small camera with a prime like the x100 or similar. No need for interchange lenses
I would go an extra step further and say to get a smaller camera with a small zoom that is water resistant/proof so that you can take it to places where you wouldn't take out your Canon - ie, the ball room, beach, taking a walk in the park...
Sep 23, 2013
654 posts
809 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
MoonDoggy wrote: If it was me, I would look for small camera with a prime like the x100 or similar. No need for interchange lenses
Thank you but I'm afraid it's out of my price range. You are referring to the Fuji X100T correct?
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3849 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
hartzfizzo wrote: Thank you but I'm afraid it's out of my price range. You are referring to the Fuji X100T correct?
At least one of them (x100, x100s, x100t). Fuji usually have really good sales too.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19713 posts
13577 upvotes
Ottawa
I find the hardest problem with my toddler is that she won’t stay still. I have lots of blurry shots indoors when my shutter speed is too low.

So compact mirror less body + prime or a compact like a RX100 where you can shoot wide open at f1.8 at ISO800 or more.

I find I use my RX100 more than my m43 body for casual toddler shots. I still keep it hanging off my belt and it’s there when I need it.

Actually a RX100 and Sony Action Cam captures the majority of my toddler stills/movies. The action cam is great for movies because you don’t worry about focusing it and you can run, follow and shoot. The field of view is so wide that you just point it in the general direction.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: I find the hardest problem with my toddler is that she won’t stay still. I have lots of blurry shots indoors when my shutter speed is too low.

So compact mirror less body + prime or a compact like a RX100 where you can shoot wide open at f1.8 at ISO800 or more.

I find I use my RX100 more than my m43 body for casual toddler shots. I still keep it hanging off my belt and it’s there when I need it.

Actually a RX100 and Sony Action Cam captures the majority of my toddler stills/movies. The action cam is great for movies because you don’t worry about focusing it and you can run, follow and shoot. The field of view is so wide that you just point it in the general direction.
ISO 800? Take it up to 3200!
Sep 23, 2013
654 posts
809 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
warpdrive wrote: I find the hardest problem with my toddler is that she won’t stay still. I have lots of blurry shots indoors when my shutter speed is too low.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. My two dudes are going a million miles a second which necessitated the 2nd camera. I couldnt run along with them with my 5d and 70-200 constantly banging against my hip. So I just bring it out every so often. Then when I dont have it, they give me gold and all I can do is take a mental picture.

I also got a gopro hero4 for for action/water movies, fwiw.

so yeah, given my subjects: a small size with speed is critical. It would be sick if I could fit it in my pocket.

Edit: By "pocket", I mean cargo shorts or jacket pocket, not skinny jeans pocket.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3536 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: I did say "or more"
MOAR!

Also OP, definitely look at the lens selection range of all different systems.
Sep 23, 2013
654 posts
809 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
What about the RX100 M2 or M3 that people are so ga-ga with? Should that be an avenue I explore?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
7631 posts
2175 upvotes
thericyip wrote: Sounds like an a6000 to me.
+1, I was using a Sony Nex 5N then now using Sony a6000 as my second camera. Don't go for P&S as you might as well use your phone.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7750 posts
1635 upvotes
For the most part, Mirrorless should still be better than P&S by AF performance and Photo Quality for the same price range.

It would already be quit a big drop for weight from Pro class DSLR to mirrorless, there is no need for a P&S.

Only go for P&S if you must need something that you can carry in a pocket but the Mirrorless are really not that big compared to the biggest P&S out there.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Sep 23, 2013
654 posts
809 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
hdom wrote: For the most part, Mirrorless should still be better than P&S by AF performance and Photo Quality for the same price range.

It would already be quit a big drop for weight from Pro class DSLR to mirrorless, there is no need for a P&S.

Only go for P&S if you must need something that you can carry in a pocket but the Mirrorless are really not that big compared to the biggest P&S out there.
This is a tuff one, because I'm not entirely sure what my number 1 priority is with this purchase: PQ or size.

On the one hand, I really want something I can put into my pocket cuz I'll be chasing 2 rugrats.
On the other, I also want the best picture quality I can get for my $$

A6000 or RX100? I can really go either way. I handled both at a local store and the size diff is quite significant. From all reports, the kit lens on the a6000 is garbage when you consider the beast that it is mounted to. So to maximize PQ I will have to invest in better glass which I dont really want to do.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
^ Depends if you want <28mm or >100mm, and better lowlight capability with future glass purchases.