PC & Video Games

Mirror's Edge - most underrated game this gen (Xbox 360, PS3)????

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2013 12:07 pm
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4453 posts
260 upvotes

Mirror's Edge - most underrated game this gen (Xbox 360, PS3)????

anything more underrated than this game?

Great looking Art style and controls

18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
The art style and visuals are unmatched even today, I never got past about 30 minutes into the game because this game is about flow and the mechanics are not forgiving enough to keep the flow going. I still fire the game up once in a while because I love the bold colors.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto
I have platinum in this game on the PS3, I would say it is one of my hardest earned platinums due to the difficulty.

There was a Mirror's Edge 2 in development but it got cancelled by EA.
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
No, I don't think its underrated. I found reviews from various sites to be in line with what I experienced in the game. Running around was super fun, everything else wasn't.
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes
I played it and it was meh at best for me. I really dont see what the fascination is with it. Just to be clear here, I dont think its bad or anything like that, just that its nothing special. Its unique but it seems to be missing that special something that pulls me into the game. Not sure what it is though.
Dec 4, 2006
354 posts
364 upvotes
St Catharines
I actually just grabbed this used for $3 a few weeks back. Was thinking about bumping it up to the top of the queue after I finish ME3. Anyone want to give me a quick run down /summary? How long is the game? More platformer or more fps? Etc. Thanks!
Banned
Jul 26, 2009
4315 posts
663 upvotes
Toronto
spiderman79 wrote: I actually just grabbed this used for $3 a few weeks back. Was thinking about bumping it up to the top of the queue after I finish ME3. Anyone want to give me a quick run down /summary? How long is the game? More platformer or more fps? Etc. Thanks!
What other games do you have on hold?
This game took me maybe 10 hours (because my laptop was laggy and I couldn't run properly) to complete. Probably aroudn 6-7 hours on average.

Basically, you are in this government controlled place, you are literally an illegal Canada Post employee, you deliver letters.
Most of the game is "3d platforming", running from one place to another, outrunning people. When you do meet people, you just shoot them or kungfu them. The running was strangely addicting, you couldn't stop playing, but once you stop for a day or so, its just so hard to get back into it.
i5-3570K 3.4GHz | ASUS DCII 7850 2Gb
8Gb DDR3 1333MHz | 128GB HyperX SSD + 1Tb HDD
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H | Ultra 650W PSU | Dell 22" 1920x1080 LED
The proud owner of a brand new ASUS T100!!!
Deal Expert
Oct 9, 2003
18045 posts
980 upvotes
spiderman79 wrote: I actually just grabbed this used for $3 a few weeks back. Was thinking about bumping it up to the top of the queue after I finish ME3. Anyone want to give me a quick run down /summary? How long is the game? More platformer or more fps? Etc. Thanks!
Its really not an fps at all, if you play it that way you wont make it very long. One of the trophies is to make it through the whole game without killing anyone if I recall right... take that for what it is.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto
The storyline itself will take maybe 10 hours to finish. It isn't a very long game. The replayability is when you are attempting time attacks and speedruns.

The game is definitely more of a platformer. The first person shooter elements are minimal because the game focus is on running instead of shooting.
Aug 20, 2009
9825 posts
5934 upvotes
I don't know, I liked Mirrors Edge but I wouldn't call it underrated, it had some pretty major flaws that warranted it getting dinged by the press and consumers.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote: I don't know, I liked Mirrors Edge but I wouldn't call it underrated, it had some pretty major flaws that warranted it getting dinged by the press and consumers.
Pretty much this. Freerunning was great, but then the game really ground to a halt when the fighting started.

My most underrated game this gen is Bulletstorm. Such an inventive game that one-upped the game The Club in terms of points-for-kills based gaming, but I think was overlooked for its over-the-top dude-broishness and vulgarity.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
I can imagine if "Mirror's Edge" was able to be played using the "Occulus Rift" VR goggles...the immersion and game experience of Freerunning would be so cool.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
When the gameplay, environmental, and audio design all lined up properly it was phenomenal - easily my favorite experience of this generation. The problem was that those moments are few and far between and the rest of the time its hampered with weak/unnecessary exposition, shoddy and pointless combat mechanics, and environment design that runs counter to the gameplay. I'm waiting with bated breath to see what Dice does with the sequel, but I can easily see why people were turned off by the original.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
Mayosandwich wrote: I paid $600 for it when it came out.
$600 for "Mirror's Edge" when it came out???? You must mean $60.

LOL! I can imagine if someone paid $600 for a game....either that person was on something...or a real sucker! :lol:
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
248 upvotes
I was thinking about getting this game because I don't constantly like violent ones and there are so many sports/racing games you can play. After looking at the trailer though, it seems like it could get a bit annoying to play if you don't get the timing right. I also hate scaling structures like you constantly have to in the Assassin's Creed games. Think I'll pick up one of the two Spiderman games because it also involves some cool movement (though it's more violent) but maybe not this one, great visuals though.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2349 upvotes
Toronto
Nettles wrote: I was thinking about getting this game because I don't constantly like violent ones and there are so many sports/racing games you can play. After looking at the trailer though, it seems like it could get a bit annoying to play if you don't get the timing right. I also hate scaling structures like you constantly have to in the Assassin's Creed games. Think I'll pick up one of the two Spiderman games because it also involves some cool movement (though it's more violent) but maybe not this one, great visuals though.
Yeah if you don't like scaling stuff, you will probably hate Mirrors Edge. A lot of the gameplay is trying to figure out how to reach certain heights, sort of like a puzzle.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
But the scaling is nothing like AC's "Find hand-hold, push up for 45 seconds".

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)