21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton

Misleading "Deals" for Fake / Grey Market Products

Example Thread:
amazon-ca-sandisk-ultra-128gb-microsdxc ... b-2260116/

Deal Link:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B073JYC4XM/

At first glance, this reads like a typical Amazon listing, but I think it's a carefully disguised and misleading scam.

Read the listing carefully:
- In the fine print near the bottom, it states "card only" and doesn't come with the retail packaging of any legitimate SD Card.
- At the very bottom of the listing, it clearly states it is a Chinese market product that they are somehow selling in Canada for a cheap price.
Legal Disclaimer
These are new cards sold in China to Chinese. We buy them wholesale. The, packaging and speeds may differ but they work just as good, so this is why they are less expensive,. We do periodic testing and we use them ourselves. Try them, and if not fully satisfied we can replace it or refund your money. Tis The holidays , please keep in mind shipping delays are starting :) We can ship it express to you for $6 extra dollars.
- This is almost certainly a grey market product with zero warranty and could even be a fake, but it LOOKS a lot like a genuine product.

RFD should not be supporting things like this. I think it is an expanding class of scam. Please make it a priority to remove such threads, before more and more people get burned by such 'deals' that which (at best) have no warranty and (at worse) are downright fakes.
- casual gastronomist -
8 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36619 upvotes
Scarborough
It's odd seeing that text on an official Amazon shipped and sold product. The grammar and tone of the legal disclaimer makes me think it might've been leftover from a 3rd party sellers listing. I'm going to reach out to Amazon to see what I can find out.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll report back what I find out.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
TomRFD wrote: It's odd seeing that text on an official Amazon shipped and sold product. The grammar and tone of the legal disclaimer makes me think it might've been leftover from a 3rd party sellers listing. I'm going to reach out to Amazon to see what I can find out.

Thanks for looking into this.

Please be reminded that this has a 'D' rating on FakeSpot, so it's full of fake reviews.
Also, Amazon reportedly co-mingles stock. So you might get a miscellaneous 3rd party seller's product, even if you bought a "Sold by Amazon" item.
- casual gastronomist -
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
18226 posts
36619 upvotes
Scarborough
Jucius Maximus wrote: Thanks for looking into this.

Please be reminded that this has a 'D' rating on FakeSpot, so it's full of fake reviews.
Also, Amazon reportedly co-mingles stock. So you might get a miscellaneous 3rd party seller's product, even if you bought a "Sold by Amazon" item.
There are a lot of 3rd party sellers listed for these memory cards so that might be why the Fakespot grade is so bad. If it's shipped and sold by Amazon I'm not worried as I can easily get my money back if it turns out to be a fake or grey market product.
RFD Staff - Got a question? Send me a private message.
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2016
1232 posts
693 upvotes
TomRFD wrote: There are a lot of 3rd party sellers listed for these memory cards so that might be why the Fakespot grade is so bad. If it's shipped and sold by Amazon I'm not worried as I can easily get my money back if it turns out to be a fake or grey market product.
You might never find out though.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
TomRFD wrote: It's odd seeing that text on an official Amazon shipped and sold product. The grammar and tone of the legal disclaimer makes me think it might've been leftover from a 3rd party sellers listing. I'm going to reach out to Amazon to see what I can find out.

Any update, @TomRFD ?
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
2 month Bump.

This same misleading / grey market deal was posted again.
The Amazon listing still says it's a Chinese product.

New RFD Posting, Apr 11.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2738 posts
1651 upvotes
Ontario
The first two years I used Amazon over 50% of the stuff I got from it was fake...

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)