Travel

Misrepresentation at the border

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2020 5:12 pm
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
2 posts

Misrepresentation at the border

Was picking up a package just a few mins away from the border and when I got to the CBSA officer and asked me how much for the package. I basically said a $150 difference from what it was and lied about how many items. I ordered them back in December and completely just guessed how many items and how much in total completely forgetting about the fact that I have to pay tax -.- First time crossing the border by myself as a driver so I didn't pay attention to how to properly bring back goods on land. Yeah I know... I'm stupid but lesson learned.. Also no excuses for lying.. and it's not worth the hassle.

My question is I know this can be an infraction but the officer just said to pay tax and I did. He didn't give me any warnings and he didn't seize the stuff. I was wondering if I have a record of this when crossing borders now

I can't find this information online..
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8373 posts
2238 upvotes
Mississauga
MikaP18886 wrote: Was picking up a package just a few mins away from the border and when I got to the CBSA officer and asked me how much for the package. I basically said a $150 difference from what it was and lied about how many items. I ordered them back in December and completely just guessed how many items and how much in total completely forgetting about the fact that I have to pay tax -.- First time crossing the border by myself as a driver so I didn't pay attention to how to properly bring back goods on land. Yeah I know... I'm stupid but lesson learned.. Also no excuses for lying.. and it's not worth the hassle.

My question is I know this can be an infraction but the officer just said to pay tax and I did. He didn't give me any warnings and he didn't seize the stuff. I was wondering if I have a record of this when crossing borders now

First rule of border crossing is dont lie. You can try to stretch the truth but never lie. In this case I think you are fine. The easiest way to find out is cross over again for a few hours buy gas a few groceries and see what happens when you return. No way to find this information online.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
8403 posts
4143 upvotes
If they were concerned about you lying, you would have known. Based on what happened, I would not worry. I've paid taxes the same way many times when declaring goods.

Next time, when crossing, have all your receipts handy, in case the agent at the booth wants to review them.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2020
2 posts
Thank you!

I was worried since I didn't want to get my dad's car flagged.
May 16, 2017
933 posts
1011 upvotes
MikaP18886 wrote: Was picking up a package just a few mins away from the border and when I got to the CBSA officer and asked me how much for the package. I basically said a $150 difference from what it was and lied about how many items. I ordered them back in December and completely just guessed how many items and how much in total completely forgetting about the fact that I have to pay tax -.- First time crossing the border by myself as a driver so I didn't pay attention to how to properly bring back goods on land. Yeah I know... I'm stupid but lesson learned.. Also no excuses for lying.. and it's not worth the hassle.

I'm assuming the sequence of events is like so:
- You make a verbal declaration,
- You get sent in to make a formal declaration and assessment/payment of taxes & duties.
- You pay & leave.

That is completely normal for anytime you exceed your duty free exemption limits.

For future ref when travelling to the US for a quick (or any) trup to return with goods to Canada:
- have receipts with you and know the amount in advance of getting back to Canada Customs,
- don't lie but rounding the $ amount within reason in a verbal declaration won't bring the law down on you,
- don't buy alcohol or tobacco if you are within the NIL exemption period (they will likely be seized).