Investing

Missed the boat on Popeyes - Burger King Owner to Buy Popeyes Chicken for $1.8 Billion

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2017 8:50 am
[OP]
Apr 9, 2012
581 posts
162 upvotes
Markham

Missed the boat on Popeyes - Burger King Owner to Buy Popeyes Chicken for $1.8 Billion

Burger King Owner to Buy Popeyes Chicken for $1.8 Billion

damn, who else missed the boat on Popeyes?

With all of the new Popeyes stores that showed up in my neighbourhood these past 2 years; it shouldve been a good indicator to buy the stock.
4 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2014
1127 posts
1145 upvotes
Burlington, ON
I missed too, but no need to worry. Every investor has missed hundreds of avenues for profit. You can't track every opportunity and even if you could you wouldn't have enough capital to exploit them.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
2883 posts
1796 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
atang810 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2017 11:03 am
Burger King Owner to Buy Popeyes Chicken for $1.8 Billion

damn, who else missed the boat on Popeyes?

With all of the new Popeyes stores that showed up in my neighbourhood these past 2 years; it shouldve been a good indicator to buy the stock.
Hindsight bias - don't beat yourself up. No one can predict who will get acquired!
Nov 4, 2012
363 posts
49 upvotes
Burnaby
Yeah, they were saying in the news that they were not going to buy Popeyes last week. Today all of a sudden they bought it.

I like popeyes fried chicken over kfc or churchs chicken.

It's too bad they dont pay a dividend.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2014
2927 posts
2313 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
There are many mergers, buyouts that ultimately fail, so even if the rumour mill might say a possible merger or even an announced buyout, they can ultimately fail....

consider

Rite Aid was supposed to be bought at $9 a share by Walgreens, but because of regulatory issues and store sell downs to meet FTC approval, the buyout price dropped to mid $5. Made for some great trades in the meantime.... but if you bought on anticipation for approval, you lost big time.

Unilever, Kraft. With buyout news, Unilever shot up to about $50 and with the withdrawal is now back at $45. Not as extreme, but say you bought anticipating a higher bid by Kraft, now you are down 10% on a company that is a slower growing value play.

So before you go chasing for buyouts, be very careful of the risks involved.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $6200/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/sask-pen ... ns-2167222