Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4208 upvotes
Toronto (Central)

The Missing (BBC) TV Show

The Missing just finished up it's first season - like Fargo and True Detective, it is more a mini-series than a show.
I watched it all over 2 days, and all I can say is - amazing.

Taking place in the past/present in the UK/France, it is the definition of being glued to your screen.
Cinematography (watch it in HD), acting (especially from the French inspector), twist/turns and its European feel make it one of the best shows I've seen.

Anyone watch this?
Thoughts?

25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
Thanks for this. I hadn't heard of it, but it sounded like something I would find interesting based on your description. I have only watched the first episode so far, but will definitely watch the others likely over this week. Have enjoyed it so far.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4208 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
sillysimms wrote: Thanks for this. I hadn't heard of it, but it sounded like something I would find interesting based on your description. I have only watched the first episode so far, but will definitely watch the others likely over this week. Have enjoyed it so far.
I found the ending of the first one so intense - in terms of following the yellow scarf trail.
What did you think?

It just gets better and better as it goes on. I'd love to hear your thoughts on here while you're watching it/finish it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
Yes, I found the discovery of the picture in the basement to be powerful. As well, as the mother of a young child, the worry that something could happen is always there, so I can identify with the anguish of the parents.

It will be interesting to see the story unfold as the episodes go on and find out what happened to the relationship between the parents and how the story develops...I am sure there will be a lot of twists that keep you glued to the screen.
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4208 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
sillysimms wrote: Yes, I found the discovery of the picture in the basement to be powerful. As well, as the mother of a young child, the worry that something could happen is always there, so I can identify with the anguish of the parents.

It will be interesting to see the story unfold as the episodes go on and find out what happened to the relationship between the parents and how the story develops...I am sure there will be a lot of twists that keep you glued to the screen.
You got it spot on!
I watched the last 5 episodes in one sitting :cheesygri

When you're done, I'll share with you what I thought of the ending.
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
newt_101 wrote: You got it spot on!
I watched the last 5 episodes in one sitting :cheesygri

When you're done, I'll share with you what I thought of the ending.
Wow...Binge Watching, huh? Nice! :)

It's becoming the new fad among TV show fans these days...watching entire seasons over the course of a day or two.
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4208 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Scorpionsy wrote: Wow...Binge Watching, huh? Nice! :)

It's becoming the new fad among TV show fans these days...watching entire seasons over the course of a day or two.
This one, Enlightened and Fargo have been the 3 shows I've done this for so far.
Watch the first episode dude and tell me what you think
Deal Guru
Oct 22, 2009
11854 posts
2822 upvotes
Toronto
newt_101 wrote: This one, Enlightened and Fargo have been the 3 shows I've done this for so far.
Watch the first episode dude and tell me what you think
I will check it out soon.

But first I am binge watching season 2 of NBC's Hannibal (amazing cinematography and shots on that show)...have 5 episodes left.

Then I have to finish the last 4 episodes or so of True Detective. :)
~~~~~~~~~~> Get...THAT DEAL...Over Here!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
2171 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the suggestion. Will be watching the last episode tonight. I have a spoiler question but on mobile so I can't white font my question.

I agree with you...great acting and story is pretty good!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4208 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Dragon120 wrote: Thanks for the suggestion. Will be watching the last episode tonight. I have a spoiler question but on mobile so I can't white font my question.

I agree with you...great acting and story is pretty good!
Glad you're liking it! The inspector was my favourite character, but the father was really dedicated too.

You are a strong person for being able to stop watching it with one episode left.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
2171 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
Well, it was getting late and the wife needed to wake up early for work.

Spoiler: Why did the former inspector got shanked in jail? During the previous visit, you can tell the inmate beside them was listening to their conversation.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4208 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Dragon120 wrote: Well, it was getting late and the wife needed to wake up early for work.

Spoiler: Why did the former inspector got shanked in jail? During the previous visit, you can tell the inmate beside them was listening to their conversation.
Ziane?
I think it could be a lot of things: cops turned criminals are not liked by other criminals, perhaps his past (what he did to his wife) has come back to haunt him when they found out who he was/what he did, or as you said what the guy next to him was hearing.

Did you finish the show? If so, share what you thought of the ending and I'll share my views.
Note: By changing the text in here to 'white' you can keep the spoilers to the absolute minimum.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
4128 posts
946 upvotes
Sask.
Thanks for this recommendation - watched the first three, like it a lot!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4208 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
natalka wrote: Thanks for this recommendation - watched the first three, like it a lot!
Keep us updated - I was heavily hooked after the first episode.

Note: I saw the whole show in HD, but one episode I watched was not, and what a disappointment it was have France/UK shown with such diminished quality.
Reminder - Watch it in HD
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
2171 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
Newt_101: my thoughts on the ending...spoiler below with white fonts.

I think the last episode could have split into two parts because with only 10 minutes remaining, I felt they rushed to the ending. IE: how did the father traveled all the way to Russia? How did he know to knock on room 108?

Overall, a really good show. It's a breathe of fresh air to watch other regional shows vs the typical American shows (which is the norm for us). If you have other recommendations with similar genre as this, please post.

Thanks again.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4208 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
Dragon120 wrote: Newt_101: my thoughts on the ending...spoiler below with white fonts.

I think the last episode could have split into two parts because with only 10 minutes remaining, I felt they rushed to the ending. IE: how did the father traveled all the way to Russia? How did he know to knock on room 108?

Overall, a really good show. It's a breathe of fresh air to watch other regional shows vs the typical American shows (which is the norm for us). If you have other recommendations with similar genre as this, please post.

Thanks again.
Glad you enjoyed it.
I'm looking into starting a few new shows: Broadchurch, The Bridge (Danish), The Killing (Danish) - this one was remade for Netflix, and Black Mirror (UK). When I start one and if it grabs me, I'll post on here.
If you haven't watched Fargo/True Detective/Luther/Sherlock, those are all excellent for popular stuff.

In terms of the ending (white font):

Tony goes all over Russian towns because he's obsessed (Remember there was also talk that the 'package had traveled to the Far East'. You can see he's aged, and he hasn't been able to let go from the belief that he won't find Oliver.
Russian police have commented that he's already been bothering other kids about finding his son.
However, when he does finally knock on 108, I believe it IS Oliver who's there - the dad is very detail-oriented. Take a look at this pic https://twitter.com/emma__winter/status ... 3962607616
Mar 30, 2007
507 posts
372 upvotes
Toronto
My God what a show. The ending was really dark and heavy. Thanks for the recommendation.
For anyone who liked this show I would also recommend another BBC drama The Fall. The first season in on Netflix and the 2nd season just ended.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4208 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
kashman wrote: My God what a show. The ending was really dark and heavy. Thanks for the recommendation.
For anyone who liked this show I would also recommend another BBC drama The Fall. The first season in on Netflix and the 2nd season just ended.
I heard The Fall is good. I'm going to give it a try.

What you think of the ending of The Missing?
(I put my thoughts in my last post above)
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2891 posts
259 upvotes
newt_101 wrote: I heard The Fall is good. I'm going to give it a try.

What you think of the ending of The Missing?
(I put my thoughts in my last post above)
The Missing is a great show for anyone interested :D

The Fall is also very good. And not sure if you ever watched The Tunnel? Also great. The US version is called The Bridge (which is itself freakin awesome and goes beyond one season).
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance