• Aug 14th, 2017 11:37 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6826 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto

Mission to get cheap 10 GbE in the home - Mikrotik CSS326-24G-2S+RM review

So I have this guy arriving next week and will be doing a quick review for anyone interested.

Mikrotik CSS326-24G-2S+RM - came out a few months ago.

This is by far the cheapest 24 port switch with a couple of SFP+ ports out there (new). I understand some folks have already reviewed it and it has some limitations (CPU bound problems) but for some of us who run a server or two in the home and want a fanless, low power 10 GbE switch without the bells and whistles of an L3 switch (and cost) this may be the ticket.

If you want me to test something let me know, right now this is more of a teaser.

And before some jump aboard with statements like who needs 10Gbe etc etc I have countless usecases and scenarios where (my) servers are network thru-put constrained.

Running cost so far:

1. Cheap ebay Mellanox ConnectX-2 cards ($20 each + shipping) - $60 inc. fiber
2. Switch above - $200
Last edited by ichpen on Aug 12th, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1277 posts
270 upvotes
Toronto, ON
That switch is 24 gigabit port....
i7-3970x | ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 | Triple NEC PA301W
FreeNAS & Plex Server Intel XEON E3 1265L V3 | Supermicro X10SAE | 16GB DDR3 ECC RAM | 6 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 Ultrastar RAIDZ2 | 3 X 3TB HGST 7K4000 Ultrastar RAIDZ1
Interactive Brokers | Virtual Brokers
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
3749 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
I am interested. Please post your findings once all is said and done.

Thanks
tehparadox.com is down. Any sites similar to it? All i know is bolt.cd and warez-bb.org. If you know any, msg me.

Thanks
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6826 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 6:35 pm
I didn't look up the specs, but are you saying there are only two 10 GBe ports?
Yes two sfp+ ports only. Given I don't have a need for more at this stage that suits me for the time being.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24783 posts
2548 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ichpen wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 6:42 pm
Yes two sfp+ ports only. Given I don't have a need for more at this stage that suits me for the time being.
Assuming you have 2 servers that will use these two ports, I fail to see the point. If your clients are gigabit, there is no way to saturate the connection unless you have multiple clients accessing the sever concurrently.

If you're just streaming video from these servers, you don't even need the full gigabit speed
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6826 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 6:59 pm
Assuming you have 2 servers that will use these two ports, I fail to see the point. If your clients are gigabit, there is no way to saturate the connection unless you have multiple clients accessing the sever concurrently.

If you're just streaming video from these servers, you don't even need the full gigabit speed
Multiple clients and plenty of vmware activity between the servers saturate the bandwidth plenty of times.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
24783 posts
2548 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
ichpen wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 7:07 pm
Multiple clients and plenty of vmware activity between the servers saturate the bandwidth plenty of times.
Ok, let me know if you find a cheap 10 Gbe switch. I'm looking for more than 2 ports
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6826 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 7:21 pm
Ok, let me know if you find a cheap 10 Gbe switch. I'm looking for more than 2 ports
I'm not really looking any longer and that's not the purpose of the thread.

The next one up is a tp link with 4 sfp+ ports but at over $400 from the US it's a lot more money.

Unifi has a 16 port monster but things get noisy and power hungry at that level so not suitable for me.

If you're looking for 10Gbe copper switches things are still prohibitive. Switches are over 800 and NICs are two or three times more than fiber cards.

This is more of an on the cheap experiment for me.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2002
6826 posts
533 upvotes
Toronto
Received this morning and plugged in.

Updated SwOS to latest 2.4 version.

It's a very very skinny switch, came with rack ears and a power adapter.

Paired instantly to my cheap-o mellanox 10 Gbe cards and oh my, stupid speeds between the 2 10gb clients even on mech drives, I'm hitting the 10Gbit limit on transfers at around 988Mb/s. Another benefit of optics is much lower latency especially on 10GbE.

SwOS unlike Routerboard is not a full blown L3 management OS but it brings some good basics like real time link monitoring, port isolation, LAG, VLANs, Forwarding, Static hosts, SNMP and ACLs. Basically almost everything you need in a switch at home. So far happy with it but it's only an hour into it.