Automotive

MK7.5 Volkswagen Golf, GTI, and Golf R Discussion Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2018 2:32 pm
Dec 2, 2017
11 posts
6 upvotes
I just put my Michelin winters on with alloys and it rides better than with the all season pirellis that came with the car. Mine is a base model so 17 inch
Apr 3, 2008
235 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
I see the 2019 Golf R has been live on vw website.

Do we know when we can expect to see the 2019 Golf GTI (even the Rabbit Edition) to show up on the website? Very eager to see the details...
Aug 20, 2006
85 posts
7 upvotes
@Rowdy10

I am looking to get a base GTi w/ DAP, do you mind sending me a breakdown of how much you paid? I am a terrible negotiator and need some pointers!

Thank you.
Rowdy10 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 9:13 pm
Got a '18 GTI in September on a good deal (as I see reading these boards, lurking!) with R wheels thrown in, white silver. My gf currently has a 2015 MK7 1.8T and we continue to use that for daily needs, errands etc as I work from home and she commutes without traffic/going into the city. We're in QC, close to Montreal.

I find it comfortable, even though I am getting older as well, but it can be rough on our mostly poor roads I'll admit. I have a 2007 MKV GTI that I bought new back then and have been the sole owner of, barn stored (literally, lol) for a future project, and it did run smoother. My previous daily was an '08 Acura TL (blasphemy!) that was showing it's age. The GTI so so much more fun to drive and really just my type of car in general but I understand what you're saying. The comfort levels are very different. I much prefer the seats etc. on the GTI, of course but if we did another 30+ hour of driving road trip like we did in my gf's Golf I'd take her Golf or the old TL before the GTI for sure. Though I'd miss it through twisty fun well paved roads.

I guess this is my intro post, too. Was browsing looking at winter setups since I have the MK7.5 and my set of 16" Yoko iG52C's from the MKV don't fit. Trying to figure out what to get. Still undecided between 18's on the R (Praetorian) wheels or a full 17 set. Kinda wish I didn't have the bigger brakes tbh!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12119 posts
1920 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
geokilla wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 9:56 pm
Anyone interested in OEM MK7.5 taillights? The one that are sold in the rest of the world? Club Wolfsburg may be planning a group buy. It'll give us back dedicated turn signals which are currently missing in North American Golfs. Basically the signals would be like the white GTI.
Last call for them. Commit now or forever hold your peace.
Jan 30, 2018
50 posts
9 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 7:35 pm
Last call for them. Commit now or forever hold your peace.
Based on this install video I am definitely 100% passing on this. Seems like a lot of things could break...........
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8861 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
Don't like the look of the MK7.5 euro lights. MK7 euro all the way lol.

The upgrade from the stock lamps for MK7 was well needed since they weren't LED, but the MK7.5 standard LEDs are actually not bad at all, giving people less reason to upgrade. I actually haven't seen a single one on the road yet.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12119 posts
1920 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
mcg wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 4:30 pm
Don't like the look of the MK7.5 euro lights. MK7 euro all the way lol.

The upgrade from the stock lamps for MK7 was well needed since they weren't LED, but the MK7.5 standard LEDs are actually not bad at all, giving people less reason to upgrade. I actually haven't seen a single one on the road yet.
Losing a brake light when I use my turn signals is the reason I'm paying almost $1k to upgrade.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8861 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
geokilla wrote:
Nov 15th, 2018 9:35 pm
Losing a brake light when I use my turn signals is the reason I'm paying almost $1k to upgrade.
True, I remember paying around 800-900 during the MK7 euro tail light group buy in Club Wolfsburg.

Best cosmetic mod you can ever do for the car, makes your Golf unique. A cop actually followed me a year or two ago to a stop light just to ask me where I got my tail lights. Almost crapped my pants at first lol.
Jan 30, 2018
50 posts
9 upvotes
Took my Dark Iron Blue MK7.5 GTI Autobahn with Finland made 225 40 18 Nokian tires on my stock Milton/Dallas VW wheels in the snow today for some test runs.

All vehicle settings are set to sport.

Not bad felt the car brake itself when taking a snow covered corner at higher than I should have speed. Good braking performance, hard to spin the car, traction control is strong and comes on like crazy.

Should have gotten 45 profile tires though, more tread better for winter, ah well lesson learned.
Oct 26, 2012
455 posts
617 upvotes
fml I wish I read this thread before buying my 16" tires off kijiji. Went to the tire shop to put them on and was informed that they don't fit, I need at least 17" but Kijiji is a bit empty right now. What should I be expecting to pay?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12119 posts
1920 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
fatcowxlive wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 11:16 am
fml I wish I read this thread before buying my 16" tires off kijiji. Went to the tire shop to put them on and was informed that they don't fit, I need at least 17" but Kijiji is a bit empty right now. What should I be expecting to pay?
Visit Advan Tires in Scarborough if you're a Toronto resident. They'll hook you up with a deal. Tell them I sent you.
Oct 26, 2012
455 posts
617 upvotes
Ecsta wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2018 10:41 am
225/45/17 is the most common 17" winter tire size on the GTI/R... I run 215/50/17 because i wanted extra sidewall and have had issues with potholes and thats the most tire i can fit (also exact same speedo as OEM tires on the R).

Most 17"s should fit over the performance pack brakes but some won't depending on the design/style.
You have no issue with the 215/50/17s?
Jan 17, 2009
303 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
fatcowxlive wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 11:42 am
You have no issue with the 215/50/17s?
Not really, i'll get a slight rub if i hit a big bump while turning, but that only seems to happen a couple times a year so i haven't bothered with the fender screw mod. They're Yokohama Ice Guards on 17x17.5" wheels. 225/45/17 is a more common size, but bunch of people on the forums run 205/50/17 or 215/50/17.

Got my set from SimplyTire.