Automotive

MK7.5 Volkswagen Golf, GTI, and Golf R Discussion Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2024 3:05 pm
Jan 30, 2018
262 posts
116 upvotes
The MK 7.5 looks better due to the updated matrix LED headlights.
I'm sure others can chime in with more of the differences between the MK7 and 7.5.
Deal Guru
Feb 14, 2006
10084 posts
1418 upvotes
So I've been hearing (from two dealers now) that the 2019 Golf will feature the 1.4T engine instead of the 1.8T.

afretes, any word on this from you?

If this is true, what is everyone's opinions on this?
Deal Guru
Feb 14, 2006
10084 posts
1418 upvotes
Jddd86 wrote: Someone have info about the base Golf getting the 1.4T from new Jetta for 2019? Two different dealers in Montreal told me it would be the case. I think 1.8 tsi will still be available in the wagon. No idea about trims and other changes.
Haha just saw your post but had already posted the same question literally a few minutes before. Whoops!

Wondering the same thing.
Dec 25, 2012
7 posts
1 upvote
EDMONTON
Mark 7 is 2015 through 2017, and Mark 7.5 is 2018+

Updates included:
- Available LED lights on the autobahn trim I believe it was (as opposed to LED running lights)
- 2015-2017 could order the performance pack that included 220HP instead of 210HP, with bigger brakes and limited slip. Those are all included in the GTI 2018 regardless of trim level as far as I know
- I know there are more but those would be good indications to check on first.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19154 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
mcg wrote: If this is true, what is everyone's opinions on this?
If it's paired with the 8 speed automatic, I like this move. Most people don't need that much power in a small hatchback and the 1.4T is very torquey. Europeans already have this engine, or engines with even less power and they can get by no problem. The increase in fuel economy will surely be welcomed. Many of my friends say I'm crazy every time I go more than 1/2 throttle lol.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Oct 26, 2009
852 posts
365 upvotes
The 1.4T is not bad and has around the same tq figure as the 1.8T. I drove the Jetta Wolfsburg edition with 1.4T and it's quite peppy.
Apr 10, 2018
17 posts
1 upvote
I really don't like this auto start/stop feature and every time I get in the car it turns back on. Is there a permanent off setting?
Jun 19, 2018
38 posts
41 upvotes
k am excited to see what's the august incentives like.
Nov 23, 2013
164 posts
135 upvotes
Montreal
Everything still looks the same as last month Disappointed Face
Jan 30, 2018
262 posts
116 upvotes
Not a Ferrari but I still treat it like one lol....my Dark Iron Blue MK7.5 with gloss bronze Konig Ampliform wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and OEM mud flap in one shot.
Images
  • MK7.5 FD side.jpg
Jun 3, 2018
169 posts
159 upvotes
Ok so black looks nice but you best be ready to keep on top of cleaning and caring for it. It shows swirls, very little margin for error lol. Labor of love though...

Also I was quoted $8.77 a litre for factory fill 5W40 Castrol Syntec at the dealer which seems pretty cheap no? Caca tire syntec usually runs me about 10-12 bucks a litre...
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1884 posts
230 upvotes
I went to the dealer and got some info for 2019. Below is a quick rundown of what I noticed.

Golf:
- Trendline is gone, added Exec Line above Highline
- 1.4L TSI 146 HP engine
- MT will be 6 speed now, DSG will be 7 speed
- Digital cockpit still only offered for the R
- LED licence plate lights standard
- LED headlights standard for Exec Line
- Park assist, lane assist, light assist only available as option on Exec Line
- Park distance control is not mentioned

GTI:
- Rabbit trim added in MT and AT which has adaptive damping control DCC including profile selection, GTI front and rear shock absorbers for DCC, Fender 8 speaker system, KESSY, Composition Media, black painted rear spoiler with Vmax lip, Rabbit decal, mirror housings in black, no sunroof, LED headlights standard, AFS, cornering lights, 18" Pretoria Black wheels, floor mats with red piping, manual lumbar support, Clark cloth seating with Rabbit tag, 8-way adjustable front seats with power recline, DAP package available, colours available are pure white, deep black pearl, urano grey, and cornflower blue
- 5 door, 2.0L TSI, 230 HP
- DSG will be 7 speed
- Base GTI will only have 6 speakers, down from the Fender 8
- DAP package does not appear to include park distance control, but the package is available for all trims

R:
- 2.0L TSI 292 HP engine
- Addition of Kurkuma Yellow Metallic as a "standard" colour choice
- Tire mobility set: 12-volt compressor and tire sealant
- DAP package available and includes park distance control
- Black styling package available with carbon fiber mirror caps and 19" black Pretoria wheels

Sportwagen FWD:
- 1.4L TSI 147 HP engine
- 6 speed MT or 8 speed AT
- Trendline is not offered anymore, only Confortline and Highline available
- Halogen lights standard with LED DRL and LED rear licence plate illumination
- DAP package includes only blind spot, front assist, adaptive cruise

Sportwagen 4MOTION:
- 1.8L TSI 170 HP engine
- 6 speed MT or 6 speed AT DSG
- No Trendline, but added Exec Line. Exec line is only AT.
- 6 speakers standard, except Exec Line has Fender 8
- Exec line has silver roof rails, lower trims have black
- AFS for Exec line only
- Cornering lights for highline and above
- Window chrome trim for Exec line only
- Linear matrix black interior decorative inserts in dash and doors for Exec line, brushed dark metal for lower trims
- DAP package for comfortline and highline includes blind spot, front assist, adaptive cruise
- DAP plus package for Exec line includes light assist, front assist, adaptive cruise, park assist with park distance control, blind spot detection, lane assist

Sportwagen Alltrack:
- 1.8L TSI 170 HP engine
- 6 speed MT or 6 speed AT DSG
- Highline and Exec line trims, both available in MT or AT
- Exec line has 2 SD card slots
- Highline has 6 speakers, Exec line has Fender 8
- Exec line has satellite navigation
- Highline has Composition Media, Exec line Discover Media
- LED headlights for Exec line, but LED DRLs for both trims
- AFS for Exec line
- 17" Valley wheels for Highline, 18" Canyon wheels for Exec line
- 12 way power seats for Exec line, manual 8 way with power recline for highline
- Paddle shifters for Exec line AT only
- Leather seats for Exec line, leatherette for highline
- DAP plus package available for both trims, includes light assist, front assist, adaptive cruise, park assist with park distance control, blind spot detection, and land assist
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19154 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Damn that 7 speed DSG is probably the same as the one in the Golf R. It should help with acceleration and fuel economy. It's a pretty good DSG transmission.
Jan 30, 2018
262 posts
116 upvotes
geokilla wrote: Damn that 7 speed DSG is probably the same as the one in the Golf R. It should help with acceleration and fuel economy. It's a pretty good DSG transmission.
Nothing an APR DSG tune can't fix, heard it really brings the 6 speed dsg to life.
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
19154 posts
9081 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ahbib82 wrote: Nothing an APR DSG tune can't fix, heard it really brings the 6 speed dsg to life.
A TCU tune wouldn't change it from 6 speed to 7 speed.
Jan 30, 2018
262 posts
116 upvotes
geokilla wrote: A TCU tune wouldn't change it from 6 speed to 7 speed.
Just like taking a GTI to the track doesn't turn it into a Ferrari lol......the tune doesn't add an additional gear but it does refine the transmission and tweak it to get smoother shifts better performance/gas mileage.
Sep 29, 2015
552 posts
651 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The rabbit edition sounds like the one to get, but I REALLY don't like black wheels. I wish they had something like the sport model that was in the USA a couple of years ago.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4807 posts
1801 upvotes
I really want the R, but a bit pricy right now
Jul 26, 2018
3 posts
1 upvote
For the base Golf, it sounds like less for money compare with my2018. Better jump on the last units at the dealer!
May 30, 2018
34 posts
9 upvotes
Congrats! The wheels look awesome. I went with PS4Ss as well... how are you finding them comfort-wise? I went with a slightly wider tire at 235/40R18 and found the ride pretty harsh at the OEM recommended 38 PSI... curious to know how it is for you and what size tire you went with.
ahbib82 wrote: Not a Ferrari but I still treat it like one lol....my Dark Iron Blue MK7.5 with gloss bronze Konig Ampliform wheels, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and OEM mud flap in one shot.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)