• Aug 20th, 2018 1:23 am
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8686 posts
504 upvotes
Vaughan
guessaaa wrote:
Aug 1st, 2018 1:32 pm
I went to the dealer and got some info for 2019. Below is a quick rundown of what I noticed.

Golf:
- Trendline is gone, added Exec Line above Highline
- 1.4L TSI 146 HP engine
- MT will be 6 speed now, DSG will be 7 speed
- Digital cockpit still only offered for the R
- LED licence plate lights standard
- LED headlights standard for Exec Line
- Park assist, lane assist, light assist only available as option on Exec Line
- Park distance control is not mentioned
Oh yeah, 6 speed manual. After my R lease is done July 2019 I might finance a Golf. I want one to keep.

But so tempting to buy out my R for 24K after the term is done. Decisions! I want something that's fun but economical, and I heard the 1.4T can get fuel economy close to the TDI's.
Jan 30, 2018
26 posts
3 upvotes
GuelphVW wrote:
Aug 1st, 2018 11:06 pm
Nice! Are you running at 38 PSI or did you go lower? I ran at 38 for a bit and found the suspension was uncomfortably firm.

I went with a 235/40R18... agreed they’re not quite as nimble but the traction is insane. I love how predictable the tire is at the limit in corners as well. They give you plenty of warning that your about to get too far out of line.
The tires are inflated to spec on the door jam. Whatever that is.
The Konig wheels are 19kg compared to the 25kg of stock alloys.
I'm more of a show than go guy if I wanted to track the car I wouldn't have bought a front wheel drive car based on an economy car.
It's a nice car actually like the interior more than anything else.....
Jan 17, 2017
72 posts
64 upvotes
mcg wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2018 12:03 am
Oh yeah, 6 speed manual. After my R lease is done July 2019 I might finance a Golf. I want one to keep.

But so tempting to buy out my R for 24K after the term is done. Decisions! I want something that's fun but economical, and I heard the 1.4T can get fuel economy close to the TDI's.
No gas engine will ever come close to tdi...
My buddies 2012 TDI gets close to 55mpg highway ..
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11767 posts
1729 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I know I said I wasn't going to put much stuff in the OP because we have enthusiast forums for that, but I'm thinking of putting down some important information. Strut pucks, OBDeleven coding, Club Wolfsburg for GTA owners. What do you guys think?
GuelphVW wrote:
Aug 1st, 2018 11:02 pm
That was me! One of the members sent me a tire pressure chart and I used it to calculate the correct tire pressure, which is actually 34 PSI... adjusted it to that yesterday and the ride was much, much better. I even called Michelin Canada and they confirmed 34 was the correct PSI given the non-OEM size (235/40R18) and higher load capacity (95 vs 92).

The strut puck issue definitely occurred to me... I plan on popping by the dealer at some point to take a look, but the reduced pressure seems to have done the true trick.

That said, I’m thinking about selling the PS4Ss and buying them again in stock size or maybe even switching to the AS3+. I bought the VW tire warranty and found out recently that it only covers replacement and repairs for tires that are the exact size of the OEM tires and wheels.
Do you mind sending me the chart as well? If you sell the tires, I'd be interested in buying them Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Dealsfordina wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2018 5:50 am
The emissions may not be worth it though. According to the trip computer, I got 38MPG round trip on Saturday from Toronto to Elora/Waterloo. This was with a bit of city and side road 80Km/H speed limit driving. I have no reason to doubt the regular 1.4T or 1.8T can get over 40MPG. Sure it's not 55MPG but less emissions and honestly, how often do you do strict highway driving?
Nov 8, 2017
487 posts
85 upvotes
Dealsfordina wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2018 5:50 am
Is that before or after VW's dieselgate emission update? I've heard many complaints after the engine update.
May 30, 2018
29 posts
8 upvotes
Given there are so many variations between our GTI and the US GTI, I think it would be a good idea to have a source for Canadian-specific information. For instance, this is where I was able to confirm that ‘18 GTI’s had the limited slip diff...

I’ll send you a PM with the chart! And if I end us selling the tires, I’ll connect with you first for sure :-)
geokilla wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2018 8:25 am
I know I said I wasn't going to put much stuff in the OP because we have enthusiast forums for that, but I'm thinking of putting down some important information. Strut pucks, OBDeleven coding, Club Wolfsburg for GTA owners. What do you guys think?

Do you mind sending me the chart as well? If you sell the tires, I'd be interested in buying them Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

The emissions may not be worth it though. According to the trip computer, I got 38MPG round trip on Saturday from Toronto to Elora/Waterloo. This was with a bit of city and side road 80Km/H speed limit driving. I have no reason to doubt the regular 1.4T or 1.8T can get over 40MPG. Sure it's not 55MPG but less emissions and honestly, how often do you do strict highway driving?
Jan 17, 2017
72 posts
64 upvotes
Bb0231 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2018 9:36 am
Is that before or after VW's dieselgate emission update? I've heard many complaints after the engine update.
You only have to comply with the emmision update to show the province once. After that he flashed it back to the Malone tune lol. Rolling coal all day
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2005
1828 posts
183 upvotes
Bb0231 wrote:
Aug 2nd, 2018 9:36 am
I have a 2015 TDI with the phase 1 update that the dealer forced on me during an oil change before the court settlement was final. This past weekend I went on a road trip, two adults, mostly highway @ 70-80 mph, but a lot of mountain slow, winding, national park travel as well (sea level to 1600 m). Using litres pumped vs km driven full tank to full tank, I averaged 4.67 L/100 km which is about 50 mpg.
Sep 22, 2017
11 posts
Kaeoue wrote:
Jul 28th, 2018 1:56 pm
How do you tell if you have an MK7 or MK7.5 GTI?
Front bumper is different (fogs lights grilles), exhaust tips are bigger on MK7.5, new wheels style...
Jun 4, 2015
87 posts
76 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
My GTI was supposed to be delivered August 16, after a month long gruelling wait...

Got word on Wednesday it's going to be delayed..

Loudly Crying FaceLoudly Crying FaceLoudly Crying Face
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11767 posts
1729 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Updated OP with some information.
Jun 30, 2009
160 posts
35 upvotes
Looking to buy a golf for my wife and I. We are expecting a kid, but still want a small car. My wife will be doing most of the driving in this car. Which one do you recommed. Was thinking the comfort line Golf.

Is there a price suggestion for comfort Golf in this thread? How much should I be negotiating?

We want to take advantage of the 0% financing. Any other incenstives? Appreciate any help or tips
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
7367 posts
3827 upvotes
Markham
Just to add to the TDI discussion about MPG, you can get 50-55mpg on the Golf TDI if you drive carefully and don’t rake it on the left lane. It is realistic even after Phase 1 and Phase 2 TDI fix.

I, however, love to drive fast on the left lane and put pedal to the metal. I average around 45mpg. Highway that is.
Sep 4, 2005
893 posts
35 upvotes
alkyne wrote:
Aug 11th, 2018 12:07 pm
Looking to buy a golf for my wife and I. We are expecting a kid, but still want a small car. My wife will be doing most of the driving in this car. Which one do you recommed. Was thinking the comfort line Golf.

Is there a price suggestion for comfort Golf in this thread? How much should I be negotiating?

We want to take advantage of the 0% financing. Any other incenstives? Appreciate any help or tips
You want at least a Comfortline so you'd get leatherette seats (easier to clean). With a little one on the way, I would suggest spending slightly more and get the wagon (which is also available with AWD if you desire)
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2005
2335 posts
107 upvotes
I test drove 2018 Golf R last week at Dixie auto mall. I drove the course twice, then the salesman took the same course twice. So much fun, rotflol the rev match on downshift in both manual & auto modes.

Although mechanically identical to the Audi S3, the lane assist capability is downgraded from what I saw on YouTube. I didn't try it due to speed and road condition. The S3 can navigate a curve; the Golf R only ping pong between lane markings, I read the system simply brakes the wheel to bring the car back rather than controls the steering. Would like to have Golf R owners to clarify this. What improvement and is new in 2019 DAP.

Cons:
- Inferior lane assist
- small trunk
- thigh bolster interferes entry and exit
- 91 Octane gas

Pro:
- Rev match downshift lol
- Crazy fast
- Crazy lateral grip
- Interior design

It is a VW, do I need extended warranty?
What is the consensus on VW reliability and high maintenance cost?

I have WRX, Fusion Sport, Stinger on my list, want a fun AWD car at less than 50k otr.
Last edited by rambokid on Aug 15th, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.