MK7.5 Volkswagen Golf, GTI, and Golf R Discussion Thread

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2018 12:35 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8670 posts
1113 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Yup I think Long Chan does it in the group.
geokilla wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:07 am
I know Club Wolfsburg members have done them. Can probably ask them if they know any shops that do them. They'd have a list lol.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Dec 19, 2011
816 posts
376 upvotes
Brampton
Looking at the lease prices: looks like 2019 Golf R lease (60 months, 16k kms/year) turns out to be $50 cheaper than 2018 GTI Autobahn because of high residual and 0% lease rate on the R.

Not sure if 0% rate for 60 months is an error.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12110 posts
1917 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
dealsucker wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 3:56 pm
Looking at the lease prices: looks like 2019 Golf R lease (60 months, 16k kms/year) turns out to be $50 cheaper than 2018 GTI Autobahn because of high residual and 0% lease rate on the R.

Not sure if 0% rate for 60 months is an error.
The 0% lease rate is an error. The 2019 GTI lease rate is like 2.9% or 3.9% on Unhaggle.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23234 posts
3538 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 8:19 am
2019 Golf R pricing are out. There's also tons of new colours available. Financing rates are fairly similar to the 2018 right now and since there's no incentives on the 2018, I personally don't see a reason to buy the 2018 unless you need it now.
Price of the .:R has gone up slightly. The manual car is now the same price as the 2018 DSG car was at $42,500; the DSG is more expensive at $43,900. Furthermore, previously the DSG was only $400 more and now it's a whopping $1400 more (like it's 2008 again, lol). Did anything else change to warrant the $1k+ increase? I mean it's still a good deal, just not as good as before.

Also I don't think those colours are really new are they? You could always pay the $3k upcharge and get any VW colour, no? The main colours don't have any upcharge.
Jan 30, 2018
50 posts
9 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:00 pm
Price of the .:R has gone up slightly. The manual car is now the same price as the 2018 DSG car was at $42,500; the DSG is more expensive at $43,900. Furthermore, previously the DSG was only $400 more and now it's a whopping $1400 more (like it's 2008 again, lol). Did anything else change to warrant the $1k+ increase? I mean it's still a good deal, just not as good as before.

Also I don't think those colours are really new are they? You could always pay the $3k upcharge and get any VW colour, no? The main colours don't have any upcharge.
Yeah nothing special, a few new $3000 paint options for the R....
But I am very disappointed I bought a 2018 GTI because the 2019 has the new better 7 speed DSG. Longer service intervals compared to the old 6 speed DSG.....
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23234 posts
3538 upvotes
ahbib82 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:13 pm
But I am very disappointed I bought a 2018 GTI because the 2019 has the new better 7 speed DSG. Longer service intervals compared to the old 6 speed DSG.....
Meh, you can't win 'em all man. Your GTI is still a great car. There's new stuff that comes out every year or few years, unless you decide to do 3-4 yr leases perpetually (or sell your car after a similar time period), you're not really going to be able to stay on top of it all. This of course will be very expensive either way and will typically set you up to be paying perpetually for a car other than the normal perpetual costs like fuel, insurance, maintenance, etc.

Personally I've decided to not bother spending a ton of money on cars anymore. My current one is turning 6yrs old in a few weeks and TBH I don't have any real desire to get rid of it and get a new car because it'll just be more money to spend for not much reason. If I were buying a new car today, it'd be a Golf .:R but as nice as it is and as nice as all the new toys/features are (adaptive cruise, virtual cockpit, etc.) I'm still very happy with my car (esp. after it had some mods on it) and don't plan on getting another car for some time. I could go ahead and do that but I'm a bit "over" car payments and all that. Perhaps in the next 3-4 years or so I'll buy an electric for low-cost commuting (I work like 10 minutes from home so it really is a total waste of fuel everday esp. in winter), but that's about all I forsee.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12110 posts
1917 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ES_Revenge wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:00 pm

There's most definitely internal changes to the Golf R that isn't documented or made knowledgeable to the public. Engineers and manufacturers do this every year. Heck they make these changes even during the middle of a model year without classifying it as a different model year
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
23234 posts
3538 upvotes
geokilla wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 10:53 pm
There's most definitely internal changes to the Golf R that isn't documented or made knowledgeable to the public. Engineers and manufacturers do this every year. Heck they make these changes even during the middle of a model year without classifying it as a different model year
Well yeah, I know that. What I meant was, is there anything different (really meaning extra) over the previous year to justify the price jump? Doesn't look like it? Strangely the manual goes up by "only" $400 but the DSG car goes up by $1400. All other things being equal one would think they should have both went up by the same amount. Instead the latter goes up by another $1000. Not really a complaint (since I'm not buying one) but just an observation.
Aug 22, 2011
143 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
ahbib82 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 9:13 pm
Would you kindly elaborate on the longer service interval for the new 7 speed DSG
Jan 30, 2018
50 posts
9 upvotes
epinephrine wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:28 am
Would you kindly elaborate on the longer service interval for the new 7 speed DSG
I believe the new service interval for the 7 speed DSG is 80,000km. As opposed to 40,000km for the 6 speed DSG.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2006
2301 posts
10 upvotes
GTA
ahbib82 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 1:41 am
I believe the new service interval for the 7 speed DSG is 80,000km. As opposed to 40,000km for the 6 speed DSG.
DSG service would be 60,000KM [40,000 miles US schedule?] for the 6 speed.
Dec 5, 2017
16 posts
4 upvotes
ignites wrote:
Nov 6th, 2018 8:59 pm
Just for fun... what do you think the story is behind this GTI w/ 4,465 km? https://401dixievolkswagen.ca/used/Volk ... 3983c7.htm

Dealer said it was trade-in but carfax only shows 1 registration with no accident or any records really.

Story doesnt add up.
The previous owner wanted a bigger car .... right and he couldn't figure that before buying it, sure!
Jun 19, 2018
18 posts
2 upvotes
ahbib82 wrote:
Sorry to see a dark iron blue base GTI get damaged like that. Hope you are doing ok. Hopefully insurance gives you 100% what you paid I believe that it might be an option for some insurance to give 100% value for the first year of ownership. I have that coverage myself. Maybe you can use that money to buy a 2019 rabbit GTI......

Thanks for your kindly reply. I got email this morning from estimator say it’s gonna be a write off for me. 100% at fault tho. Sound good, I might should wait and get a 2019 GTI instead with the check, plus the 1% vwplus rate off. Here around only 1 base manual priced at 35k available.
Dec 2, 2017
11 posts
6 upvotes
Could be true. I bought a 2018 gti and As much as I like the car sometimes I think It would be better as a weekend car vs every day. But I’m old and starting to put more of a premium on comfort. It is a fun car though!
Nov 8, 2018
1 posts
Skifanatic wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 7:50 pm
Could be true. I bought a 2018 gti and As much as I like the car sometimes I think It would be better as a weekend car vs every day. But I’m old and starting to put more of a premium on comfort. It is a fun car though!
Got a '18 GTI in September on a good deal (as I see reading these boards, lurking!) with R wheels thrown in, white silver. My gf currently has a 2015 MK7 1.8T and we continue to use that for daily needs, errands etc as I work from home and she commutes without traffic/going into the city. We're in QC, close to Montreal.

I find it comfortable, even though I am getting older as well, but it can be rough on our mostly poor roads I'll admit. I have a 2007 MKV GTI that I bought new back then and have been the sole owner of, barn stored (literally, lol) for a future project, and it did run smoother. My previous daily was an '08 Acura TL (blasphemy!) that was showing it's age. The GTI so so much more fun to drive and really just my type of car in general but I understand what you're saying. The comfort levels are very different. I much prefer the seats etc. on the GTI, of course but if we did another 30+ hour of driving road trip like we did in my gf's Golf I'd take her Golf or the old TL before the GTI for sure. Though I'd miss it through twisty fun well paved roads.

I guess this is my intro post, too. Was browsing looking at winter setups since I have the MK7.5 and my set of 16" Yoko iG52C's from the MKV don't fit. Trying to figure out what to get. Still undecided between 18's on the R (Praetorian) wheels or a full 17 set. Kinda wish I didn't have the bigger brakes tbh!