Page 2 of 7

Re: MK808 Dual Core Android 4.1 TV BOX CortexA9 1GB RAM 8GB ROM 49.99 freeship Canada

Posted: Dec 1st, 2012 5:47 am
by TechDNA
felix wrote: Does this let you play mkv 720p movies off your external usb hard drive smoothly? And if so, transfer files to this external drive from a computer in another room via wifi? Is a mouse/keyboard needed to play the movies?
If so, then what is the benefit of buying a Western Digital media player or similar device for twice the price?
That sort of hits the nail on the head I agree why would anyone pay double for a WD player when the PCSticks coming out lately do the same and more for less? There are countless posts online of people using it to stream movies over wifi and mkv files from their computer or saved on a microsd card and using a media player called moboplayer
leidreamer wrote: do not buy it people, this one has wifi issue, if you google it, you will know. and neo g4 will be better than this one
I do not agree with you at all as your comment is written because it seems like and many people have said that the early versions of the MK808 were not built properly and have wifi issues but that the later builds have been revised to include a double antenna for increased wifi reception and also include a double heatsink for increased heat management. Instead I think that you should caution people from buying used models on ebay or try to find some way to buy only the new build version if they are buying from an online webstore. If they buy a new version with the double antenna and the double heatsink and put the custom ROM on it from Freaktab that I mentioned above people seem to believe that they have made the best buy of the entire year with this little PCstick for $50.
In fact they talk about it so highly that I started questioning myself whether or not the MX1 that I purchased was a better buy or not because the MK808 is lower price. The neo G4 is just too expensive for what you get and there are too many cheaper options now that do as much or more than that one.

Re: MK808 Dual Core Android 4.1 TV BOX CortexA9 1GB RAM 8GB ROM 49.99 freeship Canada

Posted: Dec 3rd, 2012 6:26 pm
by djjungly
has anyone ordered from this site? is this even legit site? i am thinking of ordering keyboard and the tv :)

Posted: Dec 4th, 2012 5:22 am
by TechDNA
felix wrote: Can this be controlled wirelessly using an Android 4.1 phone? Would actually be better than using mouse and keyboard. Is that what the OTG port used for?
I did not know this before but I found out through trying to make heads or tails of the specs on some of these PCsticks that OTG port just means miniusb port that is what they call it in Asia and maybe Europe too. If you want to control it with your phone you have to use one of the remote control apps that you can get on the Google Android store but I think the one that I found costs maybe $4 or $5 and it is just called droid remote.
djjungly wrote: has anyone ordered from this site? is this even legit site? i am thinking of ordering keyboard and the tv :)
I have ordered from them **mine will be here on Wedensday!** and also seen quite a lot of comments about them when searching for the same question you asked and they have information on them on Resellers Ratings with a review score of 9.5.

Posted: Dec 4th, 2012 1:31 pm
by rngun
Does xbmc run smoothly on it? I know some sticks had issues, but I don't remember which ones.

Posted: Dec 4th, 2012 1:39 pm
by yoshim
My order is at "Payment Confirmed(Processing)". Anyone know when they ship? I guess it will take approx 3 weeks to arrive from HK/China so we won't see it before Christmas?

Posted: Dec 4th, 2012 1:42 pm
by EugW
TechDNA wrote: I do not agree with you at all as your comment is written because it seems like and many people have said that the early versions of the MK808 were not built properly and have wifi issues but that the later builds have been revised to include a double antenna for increased wifi reception and also include a double heatsink for increased heat management. Instead I think that you should caution people from buying used models on ebay or try to find some way to buy only the new build version if they are buying from an online webstore. If they buy a new version with the double antenna and the double heatsink and put the custom ROM on it from Freaktab that I mentioned above people seem to believe that they have made the best buy of the entire year with this little PCstick for $50.
In fact they talk about it so highly that I started questioning myself whether or not the MX1 that I purchased was a better buy or not because the MK808 is lower price.
I have read posts that suggest part of the WiFi issue is still software, so to improve things one still needs a modded ROM.
The neo G4 is just too expensive for what you get and there are too many cheaper options now that do as much or more than that one.
Well, all of these things are under $100 so it's not like they're breaking the bank. If the $75 neo G4 truly had better software and stability out of the box, that'd easily be worth the extra $25, at least if it came with Android 4.1 that is. To put it another way, if Google released one of these as a Nexus MiniPC, I'd pay over $100 for it.

Posted: Dec 10th, 2012 5:01 pm
by gr8dlr
Hey TechDNA,

did you get the unit yet? Any first impressions to report back on? Considering buying one soon or perhaps waiting to hear from others who have posted their impressions.

Posted: Dec 10th, 2012 8:16 pm
by sk8tr
gr8dlr wrote: Hey TechDNA,

did you get the unit yet? Any first impressions to report back on? Considering buying one soon or perhaps waiting to hear from others who have posted their impressions.
+1

Posted: Dec 10th, 2012 10:12 pm
by kool1
I ordered 2 weeks, nothing so far...

Posted: Dec 18th, 2012 9:42 pm
by Kinata
Got mine too, wifi connect isnt great and very inconsistent.

Posted: Dec 18th, 2012 9:58 pm
by kool1
Mine is at the post office, will pick up tomorrow.

Hope it's ok -

Posted: Dec 19th, 2012 9:41 am
by dkmwong
Kinata wrote: Got mine too, wifi connect isnt great and very inconsistent.
I noticed the same thing with the stock rom. Wifi stability improved significantly for me when I flashed a 3rd party rom. This is the rom I used: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php? ... Custom-ROM

Posted: Dec 19th, 2012 10:02 am
by Kinata
dkmwong wrote: I noticed the same thing with the stock rom. Wifi stability improved significantly for me when I flashed a 3rd party rom. This is the rom I used: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php? ... Custom-ROM
Thanks i'll try it out when i get back from my vacation.

Also switching my router to use only channel 11 helped a little bit.

Posted: Dec 19th, 2012 10:04 am
by DragOnT
^^^

Does anyone know if the above ROM works on the MK808B ??

TIA

Posted: Dec 19th, 2012 10:09 am
by CenturySam
order from them at dec 2 item is still at Singapore, International item processed in origin country

Posted: Dec 19th, 2012 10:16 am
by Super strokey
Are there any devices like this that actually have a ethernet port? Hate using wifi when i have a port literally beside my tv.

Posted: Dec 19th, 2012 10:22 am
by michibahn
got mine.. unusable! wifi drops horribly. won't connect to a WPA2 wifi encryption so you need to change your wifi setting to WPA unless you root it! just a waste of time and money...

Posted: Dec 19th, 2012 10:27 am
by davidwumtl
apparently, someone has shared a better deal than this already hot-android-4-1-google-tv-dongle-full-h ... a-1275380/

Posted: Dec 19th, 2012 10:28 am
by Sheed30
Super strokey wrote: Are there any devices like this that actually have a ethernet port? Hate using wifi when i have a port literally beside my tv.
The MINIX NEO X5 as an ethernet port on the unit.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/NEO-X5-R ... 12604.html

Posted: Dec 19th, 2012 10:30 am
by lifeisfuneh
michibahn wrote: got mine.. unusable! wifi drops horribly. won't connect to a WPA2 wifi encryption so you need to change your wifi setting to WPA unless you root it! just a waste of time and money...
Did you try to update with 3rd party FW ?