Cell Phones

MKBHD's 2018 Blind Test, PROVES My Point.

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 6th, 2018 3:10 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17201 posts
1507 upvotes
Woodbridge

MKBHD's 2018 Blind Test, PROVES My Point.

I wasn't shocked with the final result, the winner. I won't spoil it but you will be surprised and proves my point all along.

Cameras in smart phones today are over rated, that people focus too much on it, you don't need to spend $1,000+.

"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
18 replies
Dec 27, 2009
106 posts
40 upvotes
Hola
I was really taken a back to the results as well. But given that it is MKBHD we are talking about he spends some time on explaining the general results.
Online photo platforms obviously compress the resulting images which alters the original image - so the technically best phone camera is almost impossible to detect if such online platforms are indeed the final destination.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2437 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto
Comparing cameras based on ONE photo pretty much has no validity at all.

Would make a little more sense to compare say 10 different photos and have people vote on all cameras instead of doing this "bracket style" based on ONE photo.

Also for the iphone XS vs blackberry photo - if the "photographer" knew how to properly expose MKBHD's face - even just tapping on his face to auto adjust the exposure, it wouldn't have been so dim.

I agree you don't need a $1000 phone camera to take good photos, but you need to know how to take a good picture to begin with. Because if you don't know how to take a picture with a $1000 phone, it'll end up looking worse than a $500 phone.
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10294 posts
522 upvotes
Vancouver
Eliminating a phone from the bracket based on a single picture is stupid.

He does make a good point at the end though, that the platform the pictures end up being shared on is the great equalizer. Most pics are ultimately compressed to hell and viewed on a small screen.
Aug 18, 2018
585 posts
327 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
At the 6:21 mark, he says:
...9 times out of 10, the brighter, more saturated, more punchy contrasty photo won...

...but the brighter photo almost always won
In other words, most people are absolutely clueless when it comes to judging photos. Rather than claim this as some kind of valid "phone camera test", it would be more aptly named "the best phone to use for Instagram/Twitter to get the most likes" test. Winking Face

Also this comment under the video:
Conclusion: People don't know much about photography. Just want a brighter and more saturated photo.
ak-47 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 7:41 pm
I agree you don't need a $1000 phone camera to take good photos, but you need to know how to take a good picture to begin with. Because if you don't know how to take a picture with a $1000 phone, it'll end up looking worse than a $500 phone.
+1
GV/Hangouts
T-Mobile $10/2GB Simple Choice
Mint Mobile 3 months for $20, 5GB/month BF promo
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2008
4280 posts
438 upvotes
I truly believe, that a lot of people just regurgitate what they read from online reviews. For example, when people claim they can feel the difference between the performance of a OnePlus 6T (super duper fast for Android btw) vs another 2018 Android flagship, I don't buy it. I think the difference is so slight, that most people do not feel or notice the difference, but they like to say the OP 6T felt noticeably quicker, because that's what they read online. I've owned almost every Android flagship since about 2015 I think, there are many differences which are quite small, that often get exaggerated. I'm not saying its the case for everyone, but I believe a lot of the public just regurgitate what they read
I am a Koodo customer
Deal Guru
Feb 6, 2003
10294 posts
522 upvotes
Vancouver
arkane wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 9:03 pm
In other words, most people are absolutely clueless when it comes to judging photos. Rather than claim this as some kind of valid "phone camera test", it would be more aptly named "the best phone to use for Instagram/Twitter to get the most likes" test.
Absolutely. If you ask someone to pick the image that looks best, they'll go for color, saturation, brightness. I personally prefer pics that are more true to life. I wish more reviewers pit smartphone cameras against DSLRs so we could get a better idea of what the picture should actually look like without post-processing.
Aug 19, 2018
251 posts
190 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 5:16 pm
I wasn't shocked with the final result, the winner. I won't spoil it but you will be surprised and proves my point all along.

Cameras in smart phones today are over rated, that people focus too much on it, you don't need to spend $1,000+.
It proved that Instagram and Twitter are shitty host if you are serious about picture, and just about any smartphone is good enough for social media.
ak-47 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 7:41 pm
Comparing cameras based on ONE photo pretty much has no validity at all.
Amourek wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 8:45 pm
Eliminating a phone from the bracket based on a single picture is stupid.

He does make a good point at the end though, that the platform the pictures end up being shared on is the great equalizer. Most pics are ultimately compressed to hell and viewed on a small screen.
arkane wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 9:03 pm
In other words, most people are absolutely clueless when it comes to judging photos.

Pretty much this. As soon as MKBHD starting to talk to his friend he realized the contest was flawed to begin with.

Also in my opinion, without an actual reference photo, there is no way to really tell.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17201 posts
1507 upvotes
Woodbridge
That's what I've been saying why do people care so much, upgrading, etc. so they can have the "best" picture uploaded in social media.

Also, making adjustments to settings before taking the picture beats the purpose of the test. Straight up point-and-shoot as majority of users do. I don't know anyone who does with their phones.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1626 posts
453 upvotes
bembol wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 10:52 am
That's what I've been saying why do people care so much, upgrading, etc. so they can have the "best" picture uploaded in social media.

Also, making adjustments to settings before taking the picture beats the purpose of the test. Straight up point-and-shoot as majority of users do. I don't know anyone who does with their phones.
Aren't you the guy who changes phones every few months?
Aug 18, 2018
585 posts
327 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
bembol wrote:

*raises hand*

The auto mode sucks balls for low light and backlit situations, and you really have to play around with the ISO and exposure settings to not blow out everything.
GV/Hangouts
Feb 25, 2014
838 posts
274 upvotes
Ottawa
Amourek wrote:
Dec 4th, 2018 10:04 pm
Absolutely. If you ask someone to pick the image that looks best, they'll go for color, saturation, brightness. I personally prefer pics that are more true to life. I wish more reviewers pit smartphone cameras against DSLRs so we could get a better idea of what the picture should actually look like without post-processing.
If MKBHD included a full-frame DSLR in that test, you just know if would have finished last Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15241 posts
5659 upvotes
Oakville
bembol wrote:

I was just going through camera phones pics of my kids (which is like 99% of the shots I take) last night. Even on my phone, I can see a HUGE quality improvement between the shots I took on my Nexus 6p a couple years ago, vs shots taken recently with my Pixel 2XL. Particularly low light (indoor, evening lamp light shots). I don't give a shit what they look like on social media - if they look better right there on my phone (nevermind looking at them on a computer in Google Photos), that's enough of a reason for me to upgrade.

Oh, and "tapping on the screen to expose the correct part of the image" is hardly "making adjustments" in any meaningful way. It's as much a part of taking the picture as framing the image correctly. I don't know a single person that *doesn't* do that. So that's the *bare minimum* that should have been done with this test, if he's going to be judging it on individual photos, as opposed to taking an aggregate score in multiple lighting situations.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
2437 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 2:40 pm
Oh, and "tapping on the screen to expose the correct part of the image" is hardly "making adjustments" in any meaningful way. It's as much a part of taking the picture as framing the image correctly. I don't know a single person that *doesn't* do that. So that's the *bare minimum* that should have been done with this test, if he's going to be judging it on individual photos, as opposed to taking an aggregate score in multiple lighting situations.
+ 1. Even my mom who is 65 and cell phone illiterate knows to tap on the person's face to focus before snapping the pic Face With Tears Of Joy
Aug 18, 2018
585 posts
327 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
yow2kvil wrote:
Dec 5th, 2018 12:39 pm
If MKBHD included a full-frame DSLR in that test, you just know if would have finished last Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Sad but true lol Face With Tears Of Joy
GV/Hangouts