Home & Garden

MLS Walk Score? What's yours?

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2012 10:37 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 19, 2007
1467 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto

MLS Walk Score? What's yours?

So was just poking around MLS and I noticed that there is now a "Walk Score" on all the listings in the top box with the core details.

http://www.walkscore.com/live-more/canada/

How new is this? Our current condo gets a 98 (Yonge and Front) which obviously I get. However, my old condo (Parklawn and Queensway) gets an 80. I disagree with that. You would have a solid 15+ minute walk to get to the closest grocery store, transit isn't overly convenient, obviously no real shopping around anywhere (even to pickup a quick lunch or something is probably 10-15 minutes one way)... You would be very hard pressed without a car imho.

Anyway, what does your area score and do you agree? Just find the closest house for sale near you or unit in your building.
16 replies
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
8307 posts
1096 upvotes
Toronto
My walk score was 97, which I agree with. Transit is 100

Toronto ON Canada has a Walk Score of 97. This location is Walker's Paradise which means daily errands do not require a car.

You can walk to coffee at Crema Coffee Co. and buy groceries at Alex Farm Products.

Nearby restaurants include Christina's On The Danforth, Ouzeri, Pan on the Danforth, Mezes, Lolita's Lust, Sushi Delight Japanese Restaurant, Avli Restaurant, and Astoria Shish Kebob House.

Nearby schools include Frankland Community School.

This address Rider's Paradise and has a Transit Score of 100. There are 17 nearby routes: 13 bus, 4 rail, 0 other.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
spintheblackcircle wrote:
Sep 25th, 2012 7:38 pm
So was just poking around MLS and I noticed that there is now a "Walk Score" on all the listings in the top box with the core details.

http://www.walkscore.com/live-more/canada/

How new is this? Our current condo gets a 98 (Yonge and Front) which obviously I get. However, my old condo (Parklawn and Queensway) gets an 80. I disagree with that. You would have a solid 15+ minute walk to get to the closest grocery store, transit isn't overly convenient, obviously no real shopping around anywhere (even to pickup a quick lunch or something is probably 10-15 minutes one way)... You would be very hard pressed without a car imho.

Anyway, what does your area score and do you agree? Just find the closest house for sale near you or unit in your building.
Walkscore? It's been around for at least five years.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 19, 2007
1467 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
45ED wrote:
Sep 25th, 2012 8:48 pm
Walkscore? It's been around for at least five years.
On MLS? No...

I'd never heard of it before, and it certainly only recently made its way on MLS.
You can walk to coffee at The Croissant Tree and buy groceries at Longo's.

Nearby restaurants include Spring Rolls, Canoe, Air Canada Center, Bymark, Ki, Marche Restaurant, Four, and Take Sushi Restaurant.

Nearby schools include Kaplan - Toronto.

This address Rider's Paradise and has a Transit Score of 100. There are 38 nearby routes: 23 bus, 15 rail, 0 other.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Nov 15, 2004
12680 posts
932 upvotes
Toronto
85 for me at Bathurst/St Clair. I'd say that's about right. There's lots of stuff around here within easy walking distance.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
spintheblackcircle wrote:
Sep 25th, 2012 8:52 pm
On MLS? No...

I'd never heard of it before, and it certainly only recently made its way on MLS.
Oh, on MLS? No, that just popped up today. I know that much because I was checking out MLS yesterday myself and it was not in any of the listings I was looking over.

But Walkscore - the service - itself, has been around for five years. Been using it off and on not long after it started. It was good, but required a lot of users in the beginning to input stores for a particular area if the Walkscore map didn't reveal something you knew was there. I believe there's a thread somewhere about it as well.

Edit: Found it.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 29, 2009
5385 posts
102 upvotes
Oakbay, BC: 27 for walk, and 52 for transit.
AcidBomber wrote:
Jan 19th, 2012 8:09 pm
Warning to all (trolls) - next person to post any flamebaits (religious, sexist, racial, etc) gets an automatic ban.
Moderator
User avatar
Sep 30, 2001
25652 posts
4871 upvotes
never heard of this site before, thanks op! i'm a lowly 68 :'(
Don't talk about it, be about it
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
2195 posts
364 upvotes
Ottawa
I put my actual street address, and got a walk score of 68. Since I'm a big walker, having a mall 15 minutes away is no problem; I often walk to Parliament Hill/downtown, which is about an hour. I'm 5 minutes away from miles of bike/walk paths on the Ottawa River, so that should count.

I have a transit score of 74... I'm 4 houses from a transitway stop, which gets me anywhere in a hurry, so I would have rated that better. Maybe because Ottawa doesn't have a subway, we're being compared to other cities?
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 9, 2009
4810 posts
722 upvotes
Walk Score is hit or miss. My new house scored 57 though I'd personally consider it higher. Within a 5-10 walk, I can get to a variety of restaurants and fast food joints, three grocery stores, a mall, a strip mall, two drug stores, a Canadian Tire, several banks and a Walmart is opening any day now.

I suspect my score is brought down by the fact that I'm not walking distance from schools (the closest 'school' listed is a salsa dance school) or parks. I also have a low transit score despite the fact that I have 8 different bus lines within walking distance that will bring me either downtown or to the subway.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1958 upvotes
I got 48 but the info is out of date and extremely incomplete. It lists a movie theatre that has been closed for several years, it misses a nearby plaza with grocery store, restaurants and other amenities that has been there for about 30 years. My home is surrounded by parks but they go almost 2 km to find the nearest outdoor space ignoring numerous parks along the way but also a major city park with many amenities. There is no transit data despite 3 transit routes in under a minute walk. These routes connect to both GO Transit and a city transit terminal.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
80. Pretty good for living in the burbs. To echo others, the walk score has been around for years.
I am within walking distance of every store you could possibly need (along Innes Road) - Walmart, Canadian Tire, Lowes, Future Shop, Dollarama, Loblaws, Metro, Home Depot, Farmboy, Supercentre, Michaels, Home Sense, Winners. Lots of restaurants which I never go to, but are there.

Transit score is stupidly low though 49. Orleans has the highest use of public transit out of all the communities in Ottawa. The 94 is a 5 minute walk which would get you to the man hubs. The 95 is down the hill the other end. Would not walk. The 30/130 is also 5 minute walk.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 31, 2011
4225 posts
55 upvotes
NORTH YORK
spintheblackcircle wrote:
Sep 25th, 2012 7:38 pm
So was just poking around MLS and I noticed that there is now a "Walk Score" on all the listings in the top box with the core details.

http://www.walkscore.com/live-more/canada/

How new is this? Our current condo gets a 98 (Yonge and Front) which obviously I get. However, my old condo (Parklawn and Queensway) gets an 80. I disagree with that. You would have a solid 15+ minute walk to get to the closest grocery store, transit isn't overly convenient, obviously no real shopping around anywhere (even to pickup a quick lunch or something is probably 10-15 minutes one way)... You would be very hard pressed without a car imho.

Anyway, what does your area score and do you agree? Just find the closest house for sale near you or unit in your building.
Noticed that today. 75...
"Internet is serious business" HeeHeeHee.
Losers/trolls waste time posting this "I don't feel like wasting time researching nonsense and trying to disprove the collective theories of a group of people that do not have, or deserve, even the tiniest shred of credibility. I'd rather amuse myself."
× < >

Top