MLT or Forensic Science

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 9:21 pm
[OP]
Aug 6, 2018
11 posts

MLT or Forensic Science

Hi everyone,
I recently got accepted into UOIT for Med Lab Tech and Forensic Science. However, I am undecided on which program is more worth it. So please help me decide. Should I go to MLT or Forensic Science? Which one is easier?
5 replies
Oct 21, 2014
65 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto, ON
What can you do with a Forensic Science degree? CSI is just a tv show btw, it's not real.
May 30, 2018
3 posts
4 upvotes
You should base your pick somewhat on whichever you would enjoy the most, though I would do some google searching to see how forensic science grads are getting employed. Note that forensic does have specializations for whichever area interests you the most. The MLT program is basically a guaranteed job out of school with the way the market is right now, but it can be a very stressful program.
Jan 8, 2010
126 posts
41 upvotes
From what I understand, you need at least a master's degree to work in any forensic science related fields.
Mar 16, 2013
4 posts
2 upvotes
I am a MLT and we have quite a few techs in our lab who have a degree in Forensics, couldn't land a job, so they went back for MLT. There are no jobs in Forensics, and the few that randomly pop up end up having a ridiculous anount of applicants, so your chances are slim. The MLT program isn't hard. It's only hard for people with poor time management skills. You need to memorize a lot of concepts. If the program you applied to is anything like the one I took at Cambrian, expect to have up to 4 tests in one week. You really need to hunker down and use your time wisely, or else your grades can get away from you and you can easily fail. The students who weren't successful in my program were the ones who partied hard on rez every weekend and didn't bother to open their notes.
Jan 10, 2019
1 posts
I am a fourth year student that is taking this UOIT program. It is definitely a challenging program you specialize microbiology,biochem, hematology, transfusion & histology. However, it is very rewarding & their is a lot of jobs & different paths you can take. If you love science and want a challenge this is the program!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)