• Aug 1st, 2006 9:17 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2280 posts
20 upvotes

Mobile Auto Detailing... your thoughts?

I would like a part-time job. My hours are evening and weekend. Tough eh? So I have decided maybe it is best for me to be self-employed. What do you guys think of a quality mobile auto detailing?

It would be nice to have additional income so that I can go to school with less stress.
30 replies
Mar 15, 2004
420 posts
16 upvotes
Hye Azxster, i am thinking of doing the same! If you are looking for a partner, may be we can do something! let me know.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2003
1392 posts
51 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hey if you guys do this, I can hook you up with some detailing equipment and cleaning products.

PM when you get this going.

Things to consider:
- who is responsible for the run-off into the sewer
- liability in case you blow somebody's trim off
Banned
Jul 5, 2005
352 posts
Canucklehead wrote:Hey if you guys do this, I can hook you up with some detailing equipment and cleaning products.

PM when you get this going.

Things to consider:
- who is responsible for the run-off into the sewer
- liability in case you blow somebody's trim off
I'm not so much interested in opening up a detailing business, but moreso in learning how to do it myself (I need a hobby lol).

What do you mean detailing equipment and what kind of cleaning products?

Regarding sewer run off...are car cleaning supplies really that dangerous?
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2003
1392 posts
51 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Detailing equipment:
- spray extractor
- vapour cleaner
- pressure washer

Cleaning Products:
- special cleaners that remove bug, tar, grease, oil, road grime, dirt, battery gunk, etc
- cleaning towels made of polypropylene with raw melted polypropylene drizzled on top...gives "steel wool" like cleaning ability without the risk of scratches
- professional glass cleaner (like Windex but stronger)
- Low-lint scrim-reinforced towels (no streaking)
- latex gloves

In some parts of the country (i.e. Calgary), it is illegal to wash your car on your driveway if the run-off goes in the city sewer system. It's not the car care products that are hazardous, it's the stuff on your car like brake dust, oil, grease that you REMOVE when washing your car. Professional car washes and lube places have waste-water recovery sytems that prevent the crap from going into the sewers.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1326 upvotes
Sauga
Canucklehead wrote:In some parts of the country (i.e. Calgary), it is illegal to wash your car on your driveway if the run-off goes in the city sewer system.
Toronto, too.

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:Z8y ... e_id%3D837 says:
"The City of Toronto's sewer-use bylaw prohibits the direct or indirect discharge of contaminants into sewers, including run-off from vehicles being washed in driveways. An individual faces a fine up to $10,000 for a first offence and up to $20,000 for subsequent offences."
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7931 posts
48 upvotes
Burnaby
Azxster wrote:I would like a part-time job. My hours are evening and weekend. Tough eh? So I have decided maybe it is best for me to be self-employed. What do you guys think of a quality mobile auto detailing?

It would be nice to have additional income so that I can go to school with less stress.

how professional are you?
what sort of products do you use?
Mar 15, 2004
420 posts
16 upvotes
I am not professional but good at it. Did some reasearch on the procedure/process and have done few cars inculding my and the results were very good.

If anyone is interested, i would not mind helping you guys... i will only charge the for the products and i use Meguiars brand. Let me tell you the first time i did my car this year, i was impressed.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
6083 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver
There's at least one person who does this professinally with a big black pickup towing a nice new trailer for this compressors and such. He visits alot of the shows to offer his services.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2280 posts
20 upvotes
Why the need for a compressor?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2002
6083 posts
727 upvotes
Vancouver
Azxster wrote:Why the need for a compressor?
High pressure washer/air.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2003
3922 posts
305 upvotes
Air is used to blow the dust out of vents, cracks, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2003
7931 posts
48 upvotes
Burnaby
Tik wrote:I am not professional but good at it. Did some reasearch on the procedure/process and have done few cars inculding my and the results were very good.

If anyone is interested, i would not mind helping you guys... i will only charge the for the products and i use Meguiars brand. Let me tell you the first time i did my car this year, i was impressed.
could u let me know briefly ur procedures so we know what sort of calibre u are in

then maybe we can give u an idea what u should be charging

compressed air isnt all that necessary
it is great for getting the water off the car to speed up drying time

but a good vacuum/blower like Metro can do that too with a vacuum function good for interior work
so all in one to save space

most professional detailers use Zaino from what i know
Meguiars does almost as good of a job though and is much cheaper
Mar 15, 2004
420 posts
16 upvotes
Here are the steps;

1. Hand wash and dry
2. Clay the whole car
3. Hand wash again
4. Scratch remover (swirlmarks)
5. seal with wax
Feb 17, 2004
790 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
Try starting off with some neighbors or people on car forums. Build your clientele slowly and your results will advertise your skills. If it is sub-par, then you need to brush up your skills before investing in a 'mobile' business.

Don't take it the wrong way, but the steps you've listed below are very basic. Reading up on detailing and doing a couple cars is a far step from being a professional and making a mobile business.

Being a good detailer requires experience in diagnosing paint condition and what products and tools to use on the paint. Doing a Meguiar's 3-step is cake...any Joe can do that by hand. Now, if customers come to you with problems like "I got these circular holograms from the last detailer, can you remove them" or "I got this etching on my paint due to bird poop that I let sit for a week, can you get rid of it" will you be able to fix the problem? Detailing is a process and knowing which products and tools to use in each situation. Just using a "swirl remover" will not solve the problem and give your car a mirror shine.

You should also have tools such as a dual action polisher (porter cable -- not no cheapo craftsman or [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=24]canadian tire[/rfdlink] junk), as well as a highspeed rotary (something like a dewalt dw849 or a makita). Doing things by hand takes too long. Plus, you CANNOT take out swirls by hand.

Most professional detailers DO NOT use Zaino btw. Zaino is a product that is mainly used by enthusiasts. Zaino does not have enough of a spectrum of products to be used in a body shop or detailing environment. Most detailers will use 3M and Meguiars. Enthusiasts use Zaino, 3M, Meguiars, PoorBoy's, P21S, Pinnacle, etc...

I started off a long time ago doing a few cars, then word gets around and you build up a good core of clients. If you do excellent work, the clients will keep coming back year after year for you to work on their cars. Like I suggested before, go on some local car forums and post some before and after pictures of your work for people to evaluate your skills.

Tik wrote:Here are the steps;

1. Hand wash and dry
2. Clay the whole car
3. Hand wash again
4. Scratch remover (swirlmarks)
5. seal with wax
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2003
1392 posts
51 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Find out who reputable car detailers are and get your car detailed, watch them in action, talk to the customers etc.

Links:
Autopia
Detail City
mobileworks
carwashguys
automotive forums

From the Meguiars Australia website...."What causes swirl marks?

Swirl marks are actually microscopic scratches in the finish. Swirls are often caused by the use of a buffer with the wrong type of polishing pad and/or wax or polish. Automatic car washes can also cause swirls, especially on late model vehicles with clear coat paints. Another way to cause swirl marks is hand application, or removal of products using a harsh material. Pads and cloths that with micro abrasives (from falling on the ground or improper storage) are also a cause of swirls marks. To avoid swirls, thoroughly wash all dirt particles from your finish before applying polish or wax. Always use a 100% terry cloth towel because its nap draws any contaminants on the surface into the towel instead of allowing them to scratch the sensitive paint. "
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2005
6292 posts
38091 upvotes
Montreal
I've found that doing a couple of cars at first is the key...then move onto doing car shows and etc...that was what I've done. I do it freely though for fun (I once spent 6hrs detailing a car bumper-to-bumper just to get it nice and clean).

I've always used to use Meguiar's..I was friends with a Montreal wholesaler, so I got good prices. But he's since gone out of business. i've thought about opening my own business for weekend work and special events..we'll see...
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2005
2280 posts
20 upvotes
I'm going to start with friends/families and rely on word of mouth.

Even a PC DAP will not cut it for a professional as time = money, rotary is much faster however it takes skills to use one.