Mobile hotspot in U.S. with Roam Mobility

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2017 3:14 pm
[OP]
Jul 7, 2003
321 posts
90 upvotes

Mobile hotspot in U.S. with Roam Mobility

Travelling to US for a week and was thinking of getting a 1GB data only plan with Roam Mobility to creating a mobile hotspot so I can share the data plan with a few people. I have ordered the RM sim cards but need a device. If I can get something like a Alcatel Linkzone or something similar that works on the T-Mobile network, can I just slap in the RM sim card and then I'm good to go? Where is the best place to find such a device? I see some on Ebay but I'm running short on time. Is there a better option or somewhere in Canada that I can buy a mobile hotspot device?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3956 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
audiohs wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 8:27 am
Travelling to US for a week and was thinking of getting a 1GB data only plan with Roam Mobility to creating a mobile hotspot so I can share the data plan with a few people. I have ordered the RM sim cards but need a device. If I can get something like a Alcatel Linkzone or something similar that works on the T-Mobile network, can I just slap in the RM sim card and then I'm good to go? Where is the best place to find such a device? I see some on Ebay but I'm running short on time. Is there a better option or somewhere in Canada that I can buy a mobile hotspot device?
Most unlocked smartphone can create a wifi hotspot from the SIM. What is the model of your cell or the other people going with you?
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS & incoming call
[OP]
Jul 7, 2003
321 posts
90 upvotes
Our phones are all locked to our respective carriers (Rogers/Cityfone and Telus/Koodo) and we don't have the Roam At Home option. I figured I could create a hotspot and then people can still use their devices normally without having the need to swap sim cards, etc.
Oct 29, 2008
280 posts
83 upvotes
L4J
audiohs wrote:
... I see some on Ebay but I'm running short on time. ...
Unlock your Rogers/Cityfone.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3956 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
St.Genis wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:02 am
It just takes a few minutes. Expense $ is something else
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
[OP]
Jul 7, 2003
321 posts
90 upvotes
St.Genis wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 10:02 am
It's a corporate work phone so I don't think IT will do it for me. I suppose I could use my wife's iphone 6 but that would mean I would need to put in the RM sim card into her phone (assuming it works on TMo's network). But means she wouldn't receive any calls or texts to her regular number since she'll have a US number with the RM sim card inserted. Guess it's not the end of the world. Anyone know how many devices can connect to an iphone hotspot and what the range is?
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
12045 posts
956 upvotes
Toronto
My brother is currently in new York with a roam sim. There are three people tethering off his unlocked Samsung s3.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
3956 posts
436 upvotes
NORTH YORK
audiohs wrote:
This solution is probably the cheapest.
Go to any one of those little store and ask to buy a cheap unlocked cellular phone. That has to be a working one but you would not mind one with a cracked screen. I think you will get it at around $40-50 at the most. Most likely you are to get it around $20-30
After the trip to the US, try to get the deal (Fido 3 Gb $15 a month). And use the phone as a wifi hotspot generator in the car/briefcase.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
Dec 6, 2012
137 posts
36 upvotes
Montréal, QC
This is why I have an unlocked phone, my Zenfone2 even has support for t-mobile band, so in the US with RoamMobility I was able to use it as an hotspot at 30MB+/s, but it drains the battery quickly. I now have a ZTE Falcon Z917 hotspot, unlocked too, so I can put any SIM in it, works well in whole USA and Canada on LTE.
You can buy the same hotspot in T-Mobile store or their new alcatel.