• Oct 1st, 2017 4:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
2294 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
Just came back from RCSS and here is what I have found out.

1. The minimum you can put on the tab is $1, but the Koodo system has problem this time, so I could not go through. Usually it is doable, but I may have bad luck. Actually it was activated successfully, so maybe my rep did not know how to finish the process correctly (or maybe I should leave $24 on the tab).

2. If you see upfront cost less than $130, it is right. When they have such no tax event, they use a simple discount rate for calculation on all phone cost and then deduct credits.. In ON, you will pay something like $123.xx.

3. They have enough stock in the country right now, so they can easily get 1 from another store.

4. It is very popular in the store.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan + Knowroaming sticker
Carry Tel 25M Fiber
May 26, 2011
14 posts
2 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Thanks OP! I got the last one at my local mobile shop :D.

My rep paid $120+tax upfront cost with yet to be rewarded points. I paid $0 upfront and left with +$150 in PC points.

I also signed up for a $40 plan promo. 1G LTE, 500mins, unlim 5pm. Not sure if the plan is a terrific deal, but I figure I'll try it.

BTW Probably already said since I left this morning at page 4 and we're on page 9 as I write this...Koodo updated their price for the G5 back to $120 + $240 small tab this morning.
Referral is ony $25 now though.

Edit: just looked at my bill. Maybe my rep screwed it up. I left with +150k points...I don't have a 3 month clause though. Says I can cancel at any time.
Last edited by narfed101 on Aug 12th, 2017 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 29, 2007
408 posts
104 upvotes
North America
narfed101 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 6:59 pm
Thanks OP! I got the last one at my local mobile shop :D.

My rep paid $120+tax upfront cost with yet to be rewarded points. I paid $0 upfront and left with +$150 in PC points.

I also signed up for a $40 plan promo. 1G LTE, 300mins, unlim 5pm. Not sure if the plan is a terrific deal, but I figure I'll try it.

BTW Probably already said since I left this morning at page 4 and we're on page 9 as I write this...Koodo updated their price for the G5 back to $120 + $240 small tab this morning.
Referral is ony $25 now though.

Edit: just looked at my bill. Maybe my rep screwed it up. I left with +150k points.
Which shop is this? I didn't have time earlier to go, now I do... If there's no stock, I'll just go to the next one nearest me.
I might just call into the person I got my G4's from last time and have them hold two or get two for me... grrr, decisions!
Best RFD Purchases: Flight Deals, Cell/Laptops/Tablets, Clothing/Shoes.
Thanks to RFD for helping me with spending money, I feel so poor now!
Dec 26, 2010
802 posts
226 upvotes
Kamloops, BC
No luck getting points applied to upfront costs. Rep said he can do it if I had the number or name of a person who had it applied to upfront costs, that way it would look like he was matching it. Without one he said he didnt have the authority to do so.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
1807 posts
489 upvotes
Ontario
Is this math right? I already got the lg g4?

240 tab + 120 front + 10 sim - 300 PT = $70. Then $45 for 3 month $15 seasonal hold = $115 less $50 self referral is $65 for phone? This is pre tax.
Jul 29, 2007
408 posts
104 upvotes
North America
Dynasty12345 wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 7:33 pm
Is this math right? I already got the lg g4?

240 tab + 120 front + 10 sim - 300 PT = $70. Then $45 for 3 month $15 seasonal hold = $115 less $50 self referral is $65 for phone? This is pre tax.
You're off by a little bit, it's $25 for referral. All in all, roughly $95 pre-tax for this phone is an awesome deal if you can get your hands on a piece.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
2294 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
Saltywetguy wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 7:59 pm
You're off by a little bit, it's $25 for referral. All in all, roughly $95 pre-tax for this phone is an awesome deal if you can get your hands on a piece.
Self referral is $50.
Carry Tel 25M Fiber
Oct 19, 2007
937 posts
130 upvotes
45.467253°N, 75.5123…
wally_walrus wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 3:34 pm
Same contract here without the 90 days clause... Will be cancelling soon, I'm really curious how they'll argue about this
On second thoughts, I think I'll try harder to put the account on seasonal hold and leave the cancellation as last option. I urge everyone to consider this - excessive number of cancellations could motivate Koodo to tighten the rules so we won't be able to get nice phones for good prices anymore. Right now they're the only ones still allowing this...
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
2294 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
wally_walrus wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 8:13 pm
On second thoughts, I think I'll try harder to put the account on seasonal hold and leave the cancellation as last option. I urge everyone to consider this - excessive number of cancellations could motivate Koodo to tighten the rules so we won't be able to get nice phones for good prices anymore. Right now they're the only ones still allowing this...
Exactly. I always stay for 90 days. Another reason is that I want to make sure that the rep who sold the phone to me will get the commission, especially that I may go back to the same store to get other phones in the future.
Carry Tel 25M Fiber
Jul 29, 2007
408 posts
104 upvotes
North America
wally_walrus wrote:
That's a great thought! I totally agree with this, as I had grabbed the two G4's at a great deal (practically free with the 300K points each, 1.5 months ago). The deal is sweet as it is for an amazing phone also at 300K points each, I would also recommend getting the referral credits and staying the 90 days. Give the sales person/TMS and Koodo some slim gains or profits and allow us more amazing deals in the years to come! They are awesome as is. OMG, I think the only other player to provide similar service but a crappier phone would be Roger's MVNO - Zoomer, that's whole new topic though....
Mar 6, 2015
88 posts
153 upvotes
Fredericton, NB
wally_walrus wrote:
I'm sorry, but no. I'm not going to give carriers that have been scamming us for years with overpriced plans a break because they gave a deal on an older model phone.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2007
2191 posts
221 upvotes
North York
I just put in my order for the phone, I got the contract and the phone will come by Tuesday morning. I got the serial number and the phone number. Calculations are as follows:

Phone Cost 704.00
Tab Amount -240.00
Activation Bonus -344.00
Upfront Phone Cost 120.00

Monthly charge 28.00
Tab 10.00
Total mthly Charge 38.00 + Tax

They allowed me to use 120 points for the upfront charge - Actually this was an disadvantage in a way. As when I pay off tab - it will be balance outstanding + tax. So in a way using 120,000 pts cost me the tax component. Balance of 180,000 points went to my PC card

Question: If I have a previous Koodo Sim, can I use that on this new phone? If so, I can then return the $10 SIM they sold me today.

BTW. salesperson mentioned that that was the last phone. Is that what they saying to everyone?
Oct 7, 2008
794 posts
100 upvotes
I don't think you can re use sims
Jul 29, 2007
408 posts
104 upvotes
North America
sheriffabc wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 8:42 pm
Question: If I have a previous Koodo Sim, can I use that on this new phone? If so, I can then return the $10 SIM they sold me today.
Answer: No you can't return that SIM as it's tied to your account already. If you would like to use another SIM, you can do whatever you want as long as that SIM works.
In other words, If that SIM has an active account, it will work, if that SIM has an invalid or expired/suspended or ported out account, it's useless - dump that sim away!
Oct 7, 2008
794 posts
100 upvotes
bunmin wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 8:37 pm
I'm sorry, but no. I'm not going to give carriers that have been scamming us for years with overpriced plans a break because they gave a deal on an older model phone.
You'll get more wool if you don't kill the sheep.