Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
The Mobile Shop

Moto G4 Plus 2016 -$9 or more tax-in, all provinces except Québec

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2017 2:59 pm
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon

Moto G4 Plus 2016 -$9 or more tax-in, all provinces except Québec

Deal Link:
Price:
-$9
Savings:
110% off
Expiry:
September 30, 2017
Retailer:
The Mobile Shop
Moto G4 Plus 2016 32 GB on Koodo, locked to Telus/Koodo/Public, can unlock for $2-5 on eBay or wait until December 1st, or negotiate for free unlock with Koodo CSR.

Math will assume sales tax for ON/BC at time of activation, then switch to an AB number, then go on seasonal hold one month in, and make sure you complete the referral and cancel service on day 91. No need to change billing address. Can't change to AB number? Port one in. Numbers are slightly rounded (ignoring 911 fees, there might be a $28 plan, etc.). Also reduce your costs by referring yourself.

Sim 10*1.13
Tab 240*1.05
First month 30*1.05
Month 2&3 30*1.05
-300 PC points (200k base plus 100k bonus September 29&30)
-25 referral
----------
$1.30
Scratch and win for 10, 25, 50, 75, 100 or 200 PC points, Koodo pays you to take the phone!

Pro's:
  • rootable, custom ROM's
  • 32 GB expandable storage
  • No known bootloop issues
  • Fingerprint scanner
  • Near stock Android
Cons
  • no NFC
Edit: TMS now out of stock. Deal is done. Koodos to all who took the phone and were part of this awesome deal. No province-specific tricks. Grab a Moto G4 Play if any left at TMS and Koodo still pays you to take the phone (similar math, but 100k base PC points and smaller tab, $5 per month or $120).

Good for:
  • giving as gift
  • for those who want a mid-range quickly and go through phones often
  • Experiment with custom ROM's (lots of storage)
  • Maybe selling
  • Inexpensive backup
  • Use as IP camera (good storage)
Moto G4 Plus averages $300 on Kijiji. Doubt it's selling fast at asking listed price, but could easily sell quickly for $200-250 and have it sold within a month. Depending on the value of your time, sell the phone and pocket $100-150 cash on an hour of invested time if you know what you're doing.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Sep 21st, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Thread Summary
As per forum rules, no soliciting referrals to other forum users, also this thread does not encourage anyone to use a fake billing address, nor is it necessary to achieve this deal.
204 replies
Aug 27, 2017
86 posts
132 upvotes
we have some The Mobile Shop in QC also..

I wonder how it compares to Verizon's Moto E4
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
cheapmtl wrote: we have some The Mobile Shop in QC also..

I wonder how it compares to Verizon's Moto E4
Where is there a La boutique mobile in QC? I remember doing a location search and not finding any. Not only that, their website used to be bilingual, now it's in English only.

Moto E4 is a Moto E series, traditionally the lowest tier Moto phones. Moto G4 Plus is a beefed up Moto G. G series is a better budget phone to the E series, and the G4 Plus was a marketing fail since no one wanted mid-range pricing for a beefed up budget phone. Link to comparison chart on GSMArena.

Only advantage for Moto E4 is potentially better LTE network compatibility (newer phone), but I'd take a G4 Plus over an E4 any day if it's the same price.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Sep 21st, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
2gb ram, Canada always gets crippled Moto phones
Last edited by RFDQ1016 on Sep 21st, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
titaniumtux wrote: Where is there a La boutique mobile in QC? I remember doing a location search and not finding any. Not only that, their website used to be bilingual, now it's in English only.

Moto E4 is a Moto E series, traditionally the lowest tier Moto phones. Moto G4 Plus is a beefed up Moto G. G series is a better budget phone to the E series, and the G4 Plus was a marketing fail since no one wanted mid-range pricing for a beefed up budget phone.

Only advantage for Moto E4 is potentially better LTE network compatibility (newer phone), but I'd take a G4 Plus over an E4 any day if it's the same price.
??? It was the best selling Moto G series phone everywhere
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
RFDQ1016 wrote: 2gb ram, Canada always gets crippled Moto phones
I agree. Some Moto's may sell better overseas, but because Canadian variants are generally the lesser variants in RAM and storage, customers usually only grab them quickly if there are good activation incentives.
RFDQ1016 wrote: ??? It was the best selling Moto G series phone everywhere
You think so? Every retailer I consulted about that phone said hardly anyone wanted that phone. I've heard of the odd customer picking one up, but seemed like sales were slow.

Otherwise they would have run out of stock before offering $0 upfront on tab small. Virgin discounted it to $0 upfront on a Silver plan a while ago.

Moto G4 Play is out of stock across many retailers as those have sold fast because of the cheaper price.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
titaniumtux wrote: I agree. Some Moto's may sell better overseas, but because Canadian variants are generally the lesser variants in RAM and storage, customers usually only grab them quickly if there are good activation incentives.

You think so? Every retailer I consulted about that phone said hardly anyone wanted that phone. I've heard of the odd customer picking one up, but seemed like sales were slow.

Otherwise they would have run out of stock before offering $0 upfront on tab small. Virgin discounted it to $0 upfront on a Silver plan a while ago.

Moto G4 Play is out of stock across many retailers as those have sold fast because of the cheaper price.
It probably didn't sell well in Canada, but in USA, India etc it sold really well
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
RFDQ1016 wrote: It probably didn't sell well in Canada, but in USA, India etc it sold really well
That'd make sense. In those markets, it was probably a better deal stacked against other handsets on their shelves.
Aug 14, 2009
494 posts
812 upvotes
AB
Any idea if existing Koodo users with no Tab remaining would be eligible without any hoops/maneuvers etc?
Dec 27, 2007
22706 posts
15194 upvotes
Kitchener
titaniumtux wrote: but I'd take a G4 Plus over an E4 any day if it's the same price.
But its not the same price, its roughly half the price right off the bat without the typical jumping through Koodo hoops.
So the question to ask would be: at a "slightly" bigger screen with higher resolution and a nonremovable battery while everything else "almost" the same .. is the 2016 G4 plus twice the phone the 2017 E4 is ?!
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
2859 posts
2535 upvotes
Vancouveresque
No NFC either
Nobody cares which companies you use/subscribe to on a monthly basis unless there is a deal to be had. Why advertise for them in your forum signature?
Nov 17, 2006
91 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
The retail price for the unit is $120. Hardly worth the hassle to do all that.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3654 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
It has no compass.

But the G4 plus will receive the official Android O

Otherwise, great phone.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
5259 posts
3654 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
kochi1984 wrote: The retail price for the unit is $120. Hardly worth the hassle to do all that.
Where can you buy one for that price?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
trendless wrote: Any idea if existing Koodo users with no Tab remaining would be eligible without any hoops/maneuvers etc?
You wouldn't get PC points on an upgrade, meaning you'd have to call loyalty, negotiate a tab credit, etc. Refer yourself and add a line as a new activation to your account. Only upgrade to phones that don't offer gift cards on Koodo.
aasoror wrote: But its not the same price, its roughly half the price right off the bat without the typical jumping through Koodo hoops.
So the question to ask would be: at a "slightly" bigger screen with higher resolution and a nonremovable battery while everything else "almost" the same .. is the 2016 G4 plus twice the phone the 2017 E4 is ?!
Probably better resale value. Major benefit to "last year's phone" is better custom ROM compatibility. Koodo doesn't carry the E4. For many of us, The Mobile Shop is more accessible than a US Costco.
GeeCee wrote: No NFC either
That I mentioned. Sadly, I think only Indian variants get NFC on G series. Still pretty awesome for a multimedia device.
kochi1984 wrote: The retail price for the unit is $120. Hardly worth the hassle to do all that.
Carriers list retail price $400 for Moto G4 Plus. If you can buy it outright for $120, then by all means. Please share the link. Also, if there's a bonus 100k PC points this or next weekend or a spin and win at TMS and includes Koodo, then you may even get the phone at a net zero through this deal.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5529 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
Is this only for new activations?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2006
2805 posts
390 upvotes
Toronto
my moto x play still better :D
Kijiji links aren't permitted in signatures. Only links to our BST forum.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Wiseman wrote: Is this only for new activations?
Yes, it is. If you're already with Koodo, then refer yourself.
fatkinglet wrote: my moto x play still better :D
Agreed! I love the Moto X Play! One of my favourite phones! Currently using Moto Z Play, but keeping the X Play as a backup. I never said the G4+ in an amazing phone, but still a good deal on a $400 2016 Moto. Mind you, our Moto X Play only has 16 GB storage, and you can now extract phones with 16 GB storage on Koodo at TMS for less than a case of beer when promo's peak.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18402 posts
9704 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Unless you need a phone right away, I'd suggest ordering the Verizon Moto E4 from Amazon.com for roughly $60 Cdn all in. Removable battery. No hassle, no sign up / cancel game, no wasting time going to the store. You can also order as many as you want / need. Unlock is under $4.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Kurtz7834 wrote: Unless you need a phone right away, I'd suggest ordering the Verizon Moto E4 from Amazon.com for roughly $60 Cdn all in.
Cold deal, only 16 GB storage. You can extract a 16 GB phone (Samsung J3/Moto G Play/LG X Power) for less than a case of beer when promo's peak on Koodo at The Mobile Shop, certainly cheaper than the Moto E4. For a 2017 phone, wait for promo's to hike on the LG X Power 2, The Mobile Shop now carries it on all carriers. Though they won't get the Moto G5 due to carrier exclusivity, they will certainly get the next gen Samsung budget phone.

Custom ROM's will likely get you OS support on the G4+ for as long as the E4. I'll take the bigger storage on the older phone if it's roughly the same money.

As an existing Koodo customer, I can burst to six lines any time and this to me is more than enough. I'm used to the "hassle" you speak of. For those who don't want the hassle, then sure, the Verizon Moto E4 is a decent deal, especially given that carriers here gave it a retail price of $200.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Sep 22nd, 2017 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)