Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Loblaws

The Mobile Shop - Virgin HTC One S $0 + $150 Tab + $75 GC Voice Only

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2013 11:53 am
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
i was told that it was sold out, and there's a 'do not order' note on the phone.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2003
2727 posts
419 upvotes
Nepean
The Supestore Mobile Shop in Ottawa on Richmond Road said no to the $150 tab. Said it would show up as $250 on my bill. Said it was a wrong rumour that forums were spreading that all mobile shopts had this deal. Would not give it to me and I was weary of getting stuck with $250 tab. They had one in stock though.
Dec 3, 2012
225 posts
48 upvotes
Scarborough
ippon wrote: i was told that it was sold out, and there's a 'do not order' note on the phone.
Does it apply to already ordered?
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2278 posts
624 upvotes
So I've been handling the two phones for a while and here's what I have found. Here is a few photos (I threw in the Ace II x since I had it lying around... won't be talking about it):

[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/v62g52.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/29fz0go.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/1ypm6a.jpg[/IMG]

Size and build quality

The S2X is definitely bulkier: both in width and thickness. While the housing feels good on the S2X, the One S is even better: it feels soooo thin and yet sturdy. By comparison, the S2X feels bulky and plastic-y. The looks on the One S impresses me because it tries to get away from the iPhone clone look while I can see why Apple sued Samsung.

Screen

S2x's screen is slightly better and cleaner imo. The difference in screen size is noticeable: text on the S2X is easier to read than on the One S. That extra real estate on the screen makes the icons, navigation and typing more comfortable. I didn't notice the higher res screen of the One S much at all.

User Interface (both on stock roms)

HTC's is better. On the S2X, I had to install a few extra apps and such to get the options that I want at a moment's notice (such as switching on/off mobile data without drilling down into the system menu). HTC has all the options that I need ready within a couple of clicks. I prefer the transitions of the One S screens more than the S2X while the application panel is better.

I will admit that I am missing the menu button that the S2X has though: keep pressing the task switcher button on the One S thinking it is a menu button. On the other hand, I don't like the fact that the S2X's buttons are completely invisible in low light.

Battery

Can't really compare due to the fact that I have used the One S much. Non-removable battery on the One S is annoying (well, it is removable with some effort). Removable battery on the S2X is replaceable.

Memory

Both have 16GB onboard. S2X has a microSD while the One S does not. Obvious nod goes to S2X.

Price

S2X was $113 upfront with $100 gift card from BB + 2 x $25 referral + $5 rewardzone bonus. $169.50 tab + $5 or so for the prorated monthly plan + $15 unlock (I know there's a free option now).
TOTAL COST = $147.50

One S was $0 upfront with $75 gift card from PC. $169.50 tab + $5 or so for the prorated monthly plan. Free unlock (will discuss the agony in a new post).
TOTAL COST = $99.50

Conclusions

Both phones are a great value. If you don't need the extra memory or a bigger screen, the One S is the phone to get, especially with it being $50 cheaper.

Having said that, the screen and memory is a pretty big deal for me. Maybe not $50 of a deal, but regardless.

If the cost were the same, I would say it is a toss up. With the prices as they are, the One S is a better value.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2008
1195 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
Any body else having wifi problems? I am not receiving push notifications when my screen is off.
Nov 20, 2008
413 posts
97 upvotes
PennyArcade wrote:
One S was $0 upfront with $75 gift card from PC. $169.50 tab + $5 or so for the prorated monthly plan. Free unlock (will discuss the agony in a new post).
TOTAL COST = $99.50
It's possible to get a PC points bonus too with the PC Financial credit card. I think it's $25 worth.

The girl I spoke to at The Mobile Shop was very helpful and called like 5 stores to get me a One S. She was shocked at the $150 tab and $0 upfront with voice plans.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2278 posts
624 upvotes
So I successfully sim unlocked the phone. Let me tell you, it is NOT easy, even for a person that has rooted and installed custom roms with other phones in the past. Why? because the steps to unlock on xda and other forums have gaps in it that took me a while to figure out.

This post is for the HTC One S that is brand new, no custom firmware etc on it. Also you haven't installed any software on your PC.

I'll try to attempt to lay out the steps here and also fill in some gaps.

SUMMARY

You have to
  1. unlock the bootloader using HTC's approved service
  2. install recovery software to load roms and such
  3. grab unlock codes from your phone

STEP 1: Unlock the Bootloader

• Go to http://htcdev.com/bootloader/
  • Register for an account
  • Once finished, select All Other Supported Models and then click on Begin Unlock Bootloader
  • Agree to the terms and such
  • You will see steps to start unlocking the bootloader. Before that, Make sure you have all the Required Resources on the right side of the screen.
  • Follow the instructions all the way through
  • NOTE: the drivers that the phone installs onto your computer when you hook up the phone as a usb drive are NOT enough to get the bootloader unlocked. You NEED to install HTC Sync.
  • TIP: when they say press power button and the down volume arrow, you don't need to keep holding the power button down after it turns on: just hold the down volume button
  • TIP: make sure you have enabled usb debugging and turned off power boot (forgot what it is called, but you need to ensure that the phone is OFF off).
Congratulations! You have now unlocked your bootloader.

Step 2: Install recovery software
  • put your phone into fastboot mode (you did this when you unlocked your bootloader in step 1)
  • go to http://www.clockworkmod.com/rommanagerGo to http://htcdev.com/bootloader/
  • Find the correct file for the One S. I downloaded the Download Touch Recovery 5.8.3.1
  • Place the CWM File where the fastboot.exe is (Downloaded with the SDK and we used it to unlock the bootloader)
  • Now open the cmd and navigate to the folder where the CWM File is located
  • Type: fastboot flash recovery name_of_the_recovery.img (note: make sure you type in "recovery" between "flash" and the filename)

Congratulations! You now can install roms and such onto your phone

Step 3: Get that stupid sim unlock
  • download SuperSU via http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1538053
  • I installed SuperSU using recovery, which means installing the zip file using CWM, which is described as below:
  • put the SuperSU file onto the root directory of your phone
  • power down the phone
  • get into CWM by holding the volume up button while turning the phone on (hold onto the volume up button)
  • select install zip from sdcard
  • find and select the SuperSU file
  • click yes
  • reboot the phone
  • install busybox from google play
  • go to http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1693491 and follow the steps there (I used method 2 and it worked like a charm)
  • NOTE: You need busybox to run the "strings" command that the unlock procedure asks for
  • NOTE: I could not get method 3 to work because I could not copy anything into the /system/ directory... probably due to write permissions.
Congrats! your phone is now UNLOCKED, ROOTED, SIM UNLOCKED, and can accept CUSTOM FIRMWARES.

Quite a lot of steps. I agree that paying a couple of bucks to sim unlock is easier, but rooting your phone is useful to install more powerful apps and such, so might as well get a sim unlock for free.

Hmmm... maybe I should make this a new thread in a subforum to increase visibility.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2003
1406 posts
454 upvotes
Brampton, ON
supersaiyan wrote: Any body else having wifi problems? I am not receiving push notifications when my screen is off.
you can thank HTC smartsync for that. See the following thread at XDA on how to disable it:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1708492

edit: apparently the app is no longer available, but someone put a link to the apk file on the last page of that thread.
Dec 3, 2012
225 posts
48 upvotes
Scarborough
Can someone advise about cancellation. I haven't got my phone yet, but the rep said he had to activate it otherwise the other store wouldn't ship.

I will receive on Monday. Can I switch to prepay even though I don't have the phone?
Nov 14, 2012
50 posts
12 upvotes
Id hold off, If you switch out and somethings not right with the phone you might end up being SOL
Feb 29, 2012
61 posts
3 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
I called too see if there were any left (there weren't) and they offered me the Motorola RAZR V XT885 from Virgin for $0+$200 tab and a $100 gift card. Not as good as the One S deal, but still a decent option for people who missed out.
Apr 26, 2007
48 posts
Toronto
zone1885 wrote: I called too see if there were any left (there weren't) and they offered me the Motorola RAZR V XT885 from Virgin for $0+$200 tab and a $100 gift card. Not as good as the One S deal, but still a decent option for people who missed out.
Hey, can u specify who offered u that deal?
Dec 3, 2012
225 posts
48 upvotes
Scarborough
WilliamRiot wrote: Id hold off, If you switch out and somethings not right with the phone you might end up being SOL

I had to google being SOL... but now I understand!! :P
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2317 posts
1091 upvotes
PennyArcade wrote: So I successfully sim unlocked the phone. Let me tell you, it is NOT easy, even for a person that has rooted and installed custom roms with other phones in the past. Why? because the steps to unlock on xda and other forums have gaps in it that took me a while to figure out.

This post is for the HTC One S that is brand new, no custom firmware etc on it. Also you haven't installed any software on your PC.

I'll try to attempt to lay out the steps here and also fill in some gaps.

SUMMARY

You have to
  1. unlock the bootloader using HTC's approved service
  2. install recovery software to load roms and such
  3. grab unlock codes from your phone

STEP 1: Unlock the Bootloader

• Go to http://htcdev.com/bootloader/
  • Register for an account
  • Once finished, select All Other Supported Models and then click on Begin Unlock Bootloader
  • Agree to the terms and such
  • You will see steps to start unlocking the bootloader. Before that, Make sure you have all the Required Resources on the right side of the screen.
  • Follow the instructions all the way through
  • NOTE: the drivers that the phone installs onto your computer when you hook up the phone as a usb drive are NOT enough to get the bootloader unlocked. You NEED to install HTC Sync.
  • TIP: when they say press power button and the down volume arrow, you don't need to keep holding the power button down after it turns on: just hold the down volume button
  • TIP: make sure you have enabled usb debugging and turned off power boot (forgot what it is called, but you need to ensure that the phone is OFF off).
Congratulations! You have now unlocked your bootloader.
Much appreciate you amalgamating these steps, waiting for my phone to fully charge but looking at the unlock bootloader steps, seems I am screwed using windows 8 as the Android sdk versions only support Windows 7. I read to the end where it ask you to copy a token over then hit submit, what happens after that?

This procedure to root the OneS looks like hell, I have been rooting and romming tablets that have one click options etc., but these steps above scare the sh!!t out of me. lol

Btw: who called to pay off their tab yet? Is there an option to see your full tab and all charges online?
Apr 26, 2007
48 posts
Toronto
@ FriedFrog
[QUOTE]Don't tell him... he's a spy[/QUOTE]
loll wth, i just want a phone.. if not the htc then moto razr
Dec 3, 2012
225 posts
48 upvotes
Scarborough
thecoolguy_sony wrote: @ FriedFrog

loll wth, i just want a phone.. if not the htc then moto razr
Aaaaw ok then... Good Luck with the phone.. I got an S one on order :-)
Apr 26, 2007
48 posts
Toronto
I would def prefer the S over razr but seems like S if sold out .. might try out my local RCSS but from what everyone is saying, it seems like a long shot
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A
crappo.
can't install all the drivers for some reason. getting a bunch of errors, likely due to some msxml conflict.
my 3yr old laptop's been acting up lately, and i am not gonna waste time sorting it out since i'm getting a new laptop next week.
damn, gonna have to ebay it to unlock it for now.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2317 posts
1091 upvotes
^^^ What OS are you using, I tried using the allinone S tool and it failed to install the HTC drivers on Win 8, might try EBay as well.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)