Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Loblaws

The Mobile Shop - Virgin HTC One S $0 + $150 Tab + $75 GC Voice Only

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 28th, 2013 11:53 am
Jul 6, 2002
719 posts
285 upvotes
Markham
My mobile shop couldn't do a return and rebuy. After the phone was returned, it could not be purchased again because it was a used phone. They are now trying to make it so it will go back into inventory and can be re bought. So stressful.
Jan 25, 2012
324 posts
101 upvotes
jj689 wrote: Set up your account as a corporate account with exchange. I've done that with hotmail and gmail, and I get push emails on CM10.
I did set it up as an Exchange account but it's not working. Yours is working because you are on CM10 rom. There must be something wrong with ICS 4.0.3 that is causing the active sync problem. Maybe I just need to be patient and wait for Jelly Bean at the beginning of next year.
Oct 20, 2007
143 posts
128 upvotes
Edmonton
c5ho wrote: My mobile shop couldn't do a return and rebuy. After the phone was returned, it could not be purchased again because it was a used phone. They are now trying to make it so it will go back into inventory and can be re bought. So stressful.
BS, when it was taking like an hour for RCSS rep to find out how to get me 150$ tab and 100$ GC I asked the guy to run return and sale right after, it went w/o problems.
HTC One S deal price was 15% of Nexus 4 with 90% of the features of N4 ... Mobile shop rep probably wanted the phone for his buddy or for himself.. LOL
May 9, 2012
728 posts
88 upvotes
Just picked up my second one that was shipped in... Deal is still alive!! No stock though.

Gonna try the refer a friend via virgin for 50$ gc and making the phone virtually FREE.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2004
1900 posts
2263 upvotes
Calgary
How do you check to see if a phone is network locked?

I picked up a Refurbished one from Calgary Huntington yesterday. It had a completely new motherboard and new IMEI, so I wanted to see if the motherboard they changed it with is already unlocked. Don't have a micro-SIM to test it out with right now.

Also, there a total of 9 of these across all Mobile Shops in Canada. There are 4 in transit between different stores, so basically there are only 5 phones left in the entire country that can be purchased. Some might be demos, some might be refurbished like the one I purchased, so your chances are not great if you want to pick one up. The deal is still $0 + $150 Tab - $100 GC in the system, plus got an extra $25 GC since it was refurbished. William from that store was great with the activation and extremely nice to deal with.
Sep 21, 2004
11413 posts
7187 upvotes
Calgary
goflamesgo wrote: How do you check to see if a phone is network locked?

I picked up a Refurbished one from Calgary Huntington yesterday. It had a completely new motherboard and new IMEI, so I wanted to see if the motherboard they changed it with is already unlocked. Don't have a micro-SIM to test it out with right now.

Also, there a total of 9 of these across all Mobile Shops in Canada. There are 4 in transit between different stores, so basically there are only 5 phones left in the entire country that can be purchased. Some might be demos, some might be refurbished like the one I purchased, so your chances are not great if you want to pick one up. The deal is still $0 + $150 Tab - $100 GC in the system, plus got an extra $25 GC since it was refurbished. William from that store was great with the activation and extremely nice to deal with.
The only way to test whether it's locked is to pop in a micro sim from another carrier. I asked this question to the seller of the unlock code and was told so.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2008
1195 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
astrotrain wrote: I see, so it takes 3 weeks since you activated the acct for the bill/tab to show up online or in their system. Called Monday still did not show in their system, was told it takes up to 9 days by the Virgin CSR. If the tab and prorated charges does show up online what heading is it under? Is it under the heading My account home, first tab? Currently it shows, your cash balance is $0.00.

Aside: I see over at XDA US customers have a long time ago upgraded to 4.04, Sense 4.1, while we are stuck on 4.03 -Sense 4.0. Why? I am hearing far better battery life on 4.04. Moreover looks like JB is on its way maybe end of the month, I am assuming this roll out will be via HTC and has nothing to do with Virgin, since most of us will no longer have business with the latter.

For the past week I have been busy installing 4.2.1 rom on my tablet haven't touched the phone but looks like an active community at XDA, I see more than half a dozen active roms there but I am getting use to ICS Sense 4 so maybe stock all the way. 4.2.1 adds widgets to the lockscreen which Sense already does anyway so maybe moot point.
Here is the official 4.0.4 update with sense 4.1
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2040129
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
2317 posts
1091 upvotes
supersaiyan wrote: Here is the official 4.0.4 update with sense 4.1
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=2040129
Thanks for this.

So Bell and Virgin stock roms are the same? Do you know of a good guide to installing RUUs, I don't have much experience with flashing phones, only tablets.
Just on skimming some threads it seems I will need to relock the bootloader then plug the phone over USB via fastboot while executing the RUU in Windows?
After that I will lose root then need to unlock the bootloader if I choose to root again.

I wonder why there was no OTA update to 4.04 for Virgin?
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2008
1195 posts
189 upvotes
Toronto
Just relock your bootloader(if yoiu unlocked it) turn on usb debugging and run the ruu exe file on your computer.
Apr 26, 2007
48 posts
Toronto
I have been using my phone for a few days now - unlocked and running on wind - and i have noticed that my battery dies VERY FAST. My brightness is set to 0% and i mostly only text. The phone says that my screen is using up 70% of the battery power. I have no clue what to do.. is anyone else experiencing a similar situation? Any tips to improve the battery life?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2830 posts
700 upvotes
Ottawa
thecoolguy_sony wrote: I have been using my phone for a few days now - unlocked and running on wind - and i have noticed that my battery dies VERY FAST. My brightness is set to 0% and i mostly only text. The phone says that my screen is using up 70% of the battery power. I have no clue what to do.. is anyone else experiencing a similar situation? Any tips to improve the battery life?
Typical for HTC phone with Sense, battery hog to its finest
hotprime wrote: BS, when it was taking like an hour for RCSS rep to find out how to get me 150$ tab and 100$ GC I asked the guy to run return and sale right after, it went w/o problems.
HTC One S deal price was 15% of Nexus 4 with 90% of the features of N4 ... Mobile shop rep probably wanted the phone for his buddy or for himself.. LOL
You're joking right?
May 9, 2012
728 posts
88 upvotes
thecoolguy_sony wrote: I have been using my phone for a few days now - unlocked and running on wind - and i have noticed that my battery dies VERY FAST. My brightness is set to 0% and i mostly only text. The phone says that my screen is using up 70% of the battery power. I have no clue what to do.. is anyone else experiencing a similar situation? Any tips to improve the battery life?
I read somewhere the pentile screen it uses only uses power to display colour, and that a black background should help a bit.

Other than that, I think a full charge should last a day. You could probably play on this baby 4 hours straight from full to empty (dont know who uses a phone more than that a day)
Apr 26, 2007
48 posts
Toronto
Kwonie wrote: Typical for HTC phone with Sense, battery hog to its finest
seems like it..
jagerbombs wrote: I read somewhere the pentile screen it uses only uses power to display colour, and that a black background should help a bit.

Other than that, I think a full charge should last a day. You could probably play on this baby 4 hours straight from full to empty (dont know who uses a phone more than that a day)
Actually, with light-moderate use this phone lasts me just 5hr on the dot.. i was expecting at least 8hrs since that is what my friend with One S on wind is getting and he is a much heavier user. I am wondering if my battery might be defective?
May 9, 2012
728 posts
88 upvotes
Maybe... Take a screen shot of your battery screen and upload it, I'm curious and want to compare
Apr 26, 2007
48 posts
Toronto
jagerbombs wrote: Maybe... Take a screen shot of your battery screen and upload it, I'm curious and want to compare
http://tinypic.com/r/350qveg/6
http://tinypic.com/r/29ft8ox/6

This one shows 7hrs b/c I didn't use it for a long time after the charge and even afterwards, my usage was very low (first pic shows only 2hrs and 50min use) and involved mainly messaging (as can be seen in the second link).

Btw, my display was set to 0% brightness the whole time. That is why it is surprising that display used up 73% of the battery.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2830 posts
700 upvotes
Ottawa
thecoolguy_sony wrote: http://tinypic.com/r/350qveg/6

This one shows 7hrs b/c I didn't use it for a long time after the charge and even afterwards, my usage was very low (first pic shows only 2hrs and 50min use) and involved mainly messaging (as can be seen in the second link).

Btw, my display was set to 0% brightness the whole time. That is why it is surprising that display used up 73% of the battery.
Try it out for another day or two and see if it gets better. If it doesn't, try calling Virgin or talk to them at a Kiosk and see if there's anything they can do. Even if you switched to Prepaid, you'll still be covered by Warranty, not to mention you got the phone just recently. If anything they might just swap it out for you with a new one.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
thecoolguy_sony wrote: http://tinypic.com/r/350qveg/6

Check your screen timeout. Looks to me, your phone isn't going into standby and/or idle. Set each setting from 15s to 10mins and make sure its actually turning off the display.

How to check if it goes to sleep/idle/standy by? Only way i know is, under setting-wifi-advance click "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to "Never". Now, when your phones goes to sleep wait 5mins and turn on the phone. If WiFi is off, then it went to sleep and turned off wifi automatically but it will turn it on soon after you wake it so need to watch it carefully. If WiFi is still on, then something is wrong.

Maybe do factory reset?
Apr 26, 2007
48 posts
Toronto
Kwonie wrote: Try it out for another day or two and see if it gets better. If it doesn't, try calling Virgin or talk to them at a Kiosk and see if there's anything they can do. Even if you switched to Prepaid, you'll still be covered by Warranty, not to mention you got the phone just recently. If anything they might just swap it out for you with a new one.
Yeah that is probably going to be my last option.
peteryorkuca wrote: Check your screen timeout. Looks to me, your phone isn't going into standby and/or idle. Set each setting from 15s to 10mins and make sure its actually turning off the display.

How to check if it goes to sleep/idle/standy by? Only way i know is, under setting-wifi-advance click "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to "Never". Now, when your phones goes to sleep wait 5mins and turn on the phone. If WiFi is off, then it went to sleep and turned off wifi automatically but it will turn it on soon after you wake it so need to watch it carefully. If WiFi is still on, then something is wrong.

Maybe do factory reset?
Thanks! I will try this out as soon as my phone finishes charging.
Apr 26, 2007
48 posts
Toronto
peteryorkuca wrote: Check your screen timeout. Looks to me, your phone isn't going into standby and/or idle. Set each setting from 15s to 10mins and make sure its actually turning off the display.

Maybe do factory reset?
I factory reset my phone and tried your way to check if my phone was going into standby/idle and seems like it doesn't go into standby. The wifi is connected from the moment i turn it back on after 5ish minutes. My setting for sleep after inactivity was set to 2mins.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)