• Feb 28th, 2013 11:53 am
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2008
1768 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
RiCHC3 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 1:03 am
Guess you haven't seen the multiple Galaxy S2 threads where the phone is +$400 on Virgin, but $150 tab at Best Buy / Future Shop. In fact, you can even exploit that further and bring it down to the sub $100 range if you consider gift cards + points
Also the Virgin website isn't an accurate representation of the actual cost of the phone because they would cannibalize their distribution partners (Best Buy etc) if they offered better pricing than them.

All in all, it's entirely possible for it to be at this price point.
I have seen those deals and I realize the listed retail price would not be 100% accurate but even if you adjusted it to its proper value it should still be at LEAST $300. Those deals with the S2 have a price on top of the tab and have the GC that offsets the price, which is a hot deal but it makes more sense as the S2 has been around for over a year. The One S however is still a relatively new device that only came out earlier this year. I can understand clearing it out but I don't understand why they'd throw in a GC when selling it for free on the $150 tab is already a smoking hot deal. BUT since I was wrong like I said I will gladly eat crow lol. Congrats to anyone that took advantage of this deal as it's 10x better than those GS2/GS2X deals
© 2015
Nov 18, 2012
6 posts
SURREY
junot111 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 12:50 am
No it doesn't. Just because they all sell it doesn't mean they have the same model

If I'm wrong I will gladly eat crow
All North American HTC One S devices are exactly the same, right down to the FCC code.

EDIT: I have a Fido branded HTC One S that works perfectly on Mobilicity.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2007
2066 posts
327 upvotes
Ottawa
Mobiledeals wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 1:32 am
Deal confirmed at all Mobile Shop locations in BC

$400 device value
$200 agreement credit
$50 credit from Mobile Shop

= $150 tab

$0 in-store

on top of that they give you $75 gift card to the superstore which is awesome.

Hope this helps
so, if you want to cancel it right away, you just have to pay the $150?

Thanks
Dec 8, 2012
37 posts
33 upvotes
Canada
Airbus wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 2:03 am
so, if you want to cancel it right away, you just have to pay the $150?

Thanks
yea I guess, you would want to choose the cheapest plan since you have to give a months notice to cancel if that's what you wanted to do.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2012
1924 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
Mobiledeals wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 1:32 am
Deal confirmed at all Mobile Shop locations in BC

$400 device value
$200 agreement credit
$50 credit from Mobile Shop

= $150 tab

$0 in-store

on top of that they give you $75 gift card to the superstore which is awesome.

Hope this helps
'

what is an agreement credit?? it's like signing a 3-year contract? coz if u break the contract, u have to pay penalty!!
Dec 8, 2012
37 posts
33 upvotes
Canada
lex4ever wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 2:35 am
'

what is an agreement credit?? it's like signing a 3-year contract? coz if u break the contract, u have to pay penalty!!
The agreement credit is just the credit you get when you sign up for a super-tab. Technically the penalty will be $150 since that is what your tab will begin at. It will slowly drop if you continue to use their services at a 10% of what you pay each month for their services. If you decide to leave you pay what remains on your "tab" which is technically your penalty I guess.
Mar 27, 2006
844 posts
117 upvotes
I have this phone and really like it. I got it off kijiji for $170 a few months ago in new condition. Nice upgrade over my sensation 4g...much slimmer and lighter. It does take a micro sim like an i-phone, so consider a cheap sim cutter.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2007
1972 posts
559 upvotes
London
Do they do new activations only or can they do hardware upgrades? I'd pay off my current tab to switch to new phone...
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2009
16576 posts
1492 upvotes
scarberia
need a cheap supertab LTE 'backup' phone!
i5 2500k PC RIP | Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD | Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb SSD | Eco Coolit hybrid | MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) | 16 gb DDR3 RAM | GeForce GTS 450 x 2 SLI | Antec TP 650W modular | Antec 300 case | ACER H236HL IPS | DIR-880L AC router | Buffalo LS421DE NAS | Windows 8.1 Pro
Jun 4, 2007
17 posts
North York
I am just back from RCSS@Dufferin & Steeles and bought the last one. I can confirm the price is $0+75GC+150 Tab. They will restock it this afternoon.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1286 posts
154 upvotes
I will try this at the Don mills RCSS, hope it legit.

the unlock procedure below: Someone try it out and tell me if this works.

http://androidandme.com/2012/06/smartph ... t-exploit/

hile back, HTC Sensation owners realized that HTC included the SIM unlock code for their devices within the /dev/block/mmcblk0p6 block. Since then, HTC has changed a few things and “encrypted the actual SIM unlock code by adding a key generated from the phone’s IMEI number.” In order to generate the SIM unlock code for the HTC One S, users must use their phone’s IMEI number to calculate the encryption key, subtract that number from the UN_Lock_clode to generate the phone’s SIM unlock code.

If multiple sets of numbers get you all flustered, developers have come up with a Bash Script which fully automates the entire process without the need for any fancy calculations.

Obtain HTC One S SIM unlock code with Bash Script

Root your HTC One S
Download Bash Script zip file
Extract unlock.sh file from zip to /system/ folder on HTC One S
execute the .sh file directly from root explorer or open terminal emulator and run:
su <enter>
/system/unlock.sh <enter>
SIM unlock the HTC One S

Once SIM unlock code displays on screen(also saved to /sdcard/sim_unlock_code.txt), write the number down and turn off your HTC One S
Remove the microSIM card from phone
Insert a microSIM card from another service provider and turn the HTC One S back on
When prompted, enter the SIM unlock code
Enjoy your HTC One S on any GSM service provider of your choice.
While this root exploit can be used to get a free SIM unlock code for those with a rooted HTC One S, there are a few other options for those who don’t want to root their device. T-Mobile and most other service providers will give customers an unlock after they have owned the phone for 90 days. If you’re not willing to wait that long, you can always buy a SIM unlock code for the HTC One S for only $12.95 from third-part sources like HTC SIM Unlock.

For a closer look at the HTC One S SIM unlock root exploit, check out the source link below. If you do you the Bash Script (or the manual process with all the fancy calculations) to SIM unlock your phone, leave us a comment below and let us know how the process goes.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
977 upvotes
N/A
zhanglishan wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 11:19 am
I am just back from RCSS@Dufferin & Steeles and bought the last one. I can confirm the price is $0+75GC+150 Tab. They will restock it this afternoon.
gonna head out now to that location.

edit: signed up for 2. one for me, one for a friend in europe.

nothing in stock so picking up tuesday.
when can I call in to change to prepaid?
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
May 25, 2009
343 posts
60 upvotes
junot111 wrote:
Dec 9th, 2012 12:50 am
No it doesn't. Just because they all sell it doesn't mean they have the same model.

If I'm wrong I will gladly eat crow
Don't listen to this n00b. He doesn't know what he's talking about. This phone does work on wind/mobilicity once you unlock it and enter the proper APN settings. If you can get this phone for $150+$75 gift card, it's a no brainer for a phone with a S4 dual core processor.

Unlock the bootloader using the toolkit on xda, and then unlock the sim with a press of a button. Flash P.A.C. Rom and be set with a great android experience.

Using the toolkit is the easiest way, it walks you through all the steps and does a lot of it for you. When flashing roms, depending on your HBoot value, you have to fastboot the boot.img, but the toolkit can do this too (under the flash kernel option, just throw the boot.img from the rom into the kernels folder, included in the .zip)
× < >