• Dec 13th, 2012 10:21 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 22, 2007
989 posts
295 upvotes
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2012 7:32 pm
From the wording it seems that only premium data get's the maximum speed.
But that would put Mobilicity at a competitive disadvantage compared to Wind, which provides HSPA+ speeds to all their data users with phones that support it.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
32677 posts
5542 upvotes
sengook wrote:
Oct 25th, 2012 7:04 pm
From the wording it's automatically given.

Basic is full 21Mbps limited to 6GB then throttled after
Premium is full 21Mbps limited to 20GB then throttled after.
Nice. I'm on Bell (no LTE for me) and I never get more than 4Mbps on its HSPA+ network. If actual speed is 1/4 of this, would still be a very good deal for those living, commuting, working places with good reception/coverage.
Tbaytel prepaid nano SIM cards for sale $75 obo
tbaytel-prepaid-nano-sim-cards-sale-75-obo-2043514/
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
2269 posts
504 upvotes
What is the point of this if signal is bad.
Banned
Oct 7, 2012
35 posts
3 upvotes
im still not getting it. Been everywhere around Toronto and either I get no signal or crappy low download speeds at upto 4mbit/s..

How can anyone even claim to offer 21mbit/s full speed data?
Banned
Oct 19, 2010
7433 posts
1137 upvotes
Mississauga East
I ran speed test twice - using Nokia N8

Here is what I got in eastern part of Mississauga - in the house

Consistency is bad - for a while I could not even do the test.
Jan 3, 2006
360 posts
10 upvotes
20GB, aren't all they're plans unlimited?

Edit: I have a hard time using over a gig
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2004
4713 posts
252 upvotes
Coquitlam
hot_ride wrote:
Oct 25th, 2012 9:13 pm

20 GB @ full speed.
HOW CAN I BE GOING BROKE WHEN I'M SAVING SO MUCH MONEY!?
MY EBAY FEEDBACK
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1148 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto, ON
hot_ride wrote:
Oct 25th, 2012 9:13 pm

Yes it's just their throttle limit after the limit you go slower.

Pretend you have a scooter that has an endless supply of fuel always in it. Now you can move that scooter forever at it's max speed which is slow (45km/h??). Okay, now let's say you somehow modified it so it had a BOOSTER that lasted 60 minutes and you could afford to refill it only once a month. Now let's say if you pay someone else extra money they can make that BOOSTER last 200 minutes but you have to keep paying them extra to do it for you every month.

You can boost for as much as you can within your month but after it's gone you just go at your regular max speed...

okay that was a ***** example. Also, this is why I think they had it worded so that the speed is 21Mbps for everyone not just prem data ppl. My basis is really the T-mobile model which works the same way and I've heard mobi and t are very friendly.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1453 posts
91 upvotes
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Oct 25th, 2012 8:53 pm
At least you can even load the speedtest site. Let alone run a test.
Indeed, those are very good results. I get similar ones ( a bit less download but more upload) on fido in Metrotown area. Mobilicity here would be 50kbps upload (but In practice not actually working at all) and maybe 700kbps download. Essentially mobilicity data was completely useless (e.g. Unable to upload a single photo to skydrive for example). Signal was not a problem at all, which can only mean they completely and utterly oversubscribed. A bad signal gives you some hope for future improvement (new tower). An over subscription indicates a way of doing business that gives no hope for improvement.
Banned
Oct 19, 2010
7433 posts
1137 upvotes
Mississauga East
Can anyone else do a speed test of the data speeds they get through their handset connected to laptop?
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14299 posts
1970 upvotes
Toronto
sengook wrote:
Oct 25th, 2012 9:20 pm
Yes it's just their throttle limit after the limit you go slower.

Pretend you have a scooter that has an endless supply of fuel always in it. Now you can move that scooter forever at it's max speed which is slow (45km/h??). Okay, now let's say you somehow modified it so it had a BOOSTER that lasted 60 minutes and you could afford to refill it only once a month. Now let's say if you pay someone else extra money they can make that BOOSTER last 200 minutes but you have to keep paying them extra to do it for you every month.

You can boost for as much as you can within your month but after it's gone you just go at your regular max speed...

okay that was a ***** example. Also, this is why I think they had it worded so that the speed is 21Mbps for everyone not just prem data ppl. My basis is really the T-mobile model which works the same way and I've heard mobi and t are very friendly.
Or think of it as Nickel Cadmium vs Lithium-Ion.
× < >