• Oct 20th, 2018 1:43 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5259 posts
1886 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
eugene188 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2018 10:53 pm
wow. this turned out so different compared to the Public Mobile price increase.
It's unlikely that the CCTS would have done anything for PM customers if they continued with the price increase. The only difference is that PM backed down because of the backlash. For some reason, most Mobilicity customers seem to have been rather quiet over the price increase. We must be vocal on social media and resist price gouging in order for change to occur.
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Mar 14, 2017
101 posts
34 upvotes
One difference may be that with PM, the mod posted on the forum that people can keep their plans after with "no surprises". If you have written PEO Engineering Law exam you would have come across this: In terms of contract laws, that phrase is a "gratuitous promise" within the context of the contract. Based on case laws, the court will most likely prevent ("equitable estoppel") the party from breaking the contract - ie. although the terms of the contract says 30-day notice regarding price increase, they are forced to have carried out the "gratuitous promise" of "no surprises".

On the other hand, I don't believe Chatr/Rogers ever made similar promise.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2013
5259 posts
1886 upvotes
redflagdeals.com
XeniaOnatopp wrote:
Feb 24th, 2018 2:30 am
One difference may be that with PM, the mod posted on the forum that people can keep their plans after with "no surprises". I
Some comments from the CCTS Commissioner:
“If I’m a telecom, I’m learning that consumers do have some power and that their collective action can make a difference,” Howard Maker [CCTS Commissioner] told ITBusiness.ca one week after CCTS received more than 1,600 customer complaints about Public Mobile’s sudden price hike on data. On average, the CCTS receives a little more than 9,000 complaints per year. “The other thing I’m learning is, if I promise my customers something, I should live up to that and if I don’t, I’m going to have to be accountable for that decision,” he [Howard Maker] says.

While Public Mobile has since reversed its decision to raise the price of its popular $40/4GB plan, Maker says two things made this price-hike different from the ones other Telecoms sometimes introduce, which almost always upsets customers. First, he says Public Mobile had seemingly promised its customers that they wouldn’t change the plan while they were still subscribed to it, and then did so anyway. Secondly, the way customers shared their concerns and organized on social media to resist the change and identify the problem was fierce.

“It was unprecedented,” Maker says, pointing to the sheer number of complaints the CCTS received. “We’ve never had a situation where we had this many attempts to file complaints in such a short amount of time.”
Source: https://www.itworldcanada.com/article/t ... ner/402083
A wise RFD'er once said, "Buy now, think later."
I like wearing tinfoil hats.

¯\_(-.-)_/¯

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ "Behold!"
Apr 10, 2011
956 posts
472 upvotes
Vancouver
Chatr Mobilicity customers and the CCTS...

The CCTS doesn't have access to the documents related to the Rogers agreement to buy Mobilicity. As such, they say they can only check if Chatr is meeting the terms of its regular Chatr prepaid customer agreement.

The CCTS recommends going through another government agency such as the competition bureau, advertising bureau, etc.

The light $30-35 payout is always there but they say this doesn't force you to stop exploring other channels.

For the $30-35, Rogers is hoping to reduce the complainers considerably, though they feel they have no legal obligations to do so.

Rogers made soft subjective comments at the time of the switchover but never made hard legal statements about maintaining prices. This is why Rogers channeled it through their noncontractual Chatr prepaid division and NOT their regular mobility companies. This was a very smart legal decision.

The CCTS said that this is the main reason that we have no case with Rogers.

Had Chatr try to raise prices immediately at the switchover, the case might have been much better. Our Mobilicity group, 200,000 strong, could have acted together. Waiting a year was also a brilliant legal move for Rogers.

It's unfortunate that there isn't yet some law office that would pickup the case, obtain the internal fed/Rogers communications early on.

It would be like Ford making an agreement with the auto union to never strike for a 10% increase each year. Afterwards, transferring 99% of its manufacturing to Mexico. Rogers obtained the spectrum by structuring a great no-obligation deal for themselves.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
12423 posts
1103 upvotes
Mississauga
RxMills wrote:
Mar 20th, 2018 4:09 pm
Chatr Mobilicity customers and the CCTS...

The CCTS doesn't have access to the documents related to the Rogers agreement to buy Mobilicity. As such, they say they can only check if Chatr is meeting the terms of its regular Chatr prepaid customer agreement.

The CCTS recommends going through another government agency such as the competition bureau, advertising bureau, etc.

The light $30-35 payout is always there but they say this doesn't force you to stop exploring other channels.

For the $30-35, Rogers is hoping to reduce the complainers considerably, though they feel they have no legal obligations to do so.

Rogers made soft subjective comments at the time of the switchover but never made hard legal statements about maintaining prices. This is why Rogers channeled it through their noncontractual Chatr prepaid division and NOT their regular mobility companies. This was a very smart legal decision.

The CCTS said that this is the main reason that we have no case with Rogers.

Had Chatr try to raise prices immediately at the switchover, the case might have been much better. Our Mobilicity group, 200,000 strong, could have acted together. Waiting a year was also a brilliant legal move for Rogers.

It's unfortunate that there isn't yet some law office that would pickup the case, obtain the internal fed/Rogers communications early on.

It would be like Ford making an agreement with the auto union to never strike for a 10% increase each year. Afterwards, transferring 99% of its manufacturing to Mexico. Rogers obtained the spectrum by structuring a great no-obligation deal for themselves.
Can we have the digital media/blogs involved in this?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7309 posts
1151 upvotes
Symbol87 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 12:23 pm
Anyone with the $25 plan able to confirm they don't have data outside the home zones? I'm thinking of purchasing this plan for $200 but the last thing I'd need is the gps data to stop working in the middle of the highway
That guy is full of doo doo. We all know the plans and the details had massive typos in them at the time when they were introduced.

ANyways, here's a snapshop of what it says today.
Images
  • 1.PNG
Jul 22, 2016
66 posts
34 upvotes
Just received another text. My $35 plan is getting a $5 increase again starting in October.

$30->$35->$40
Apr 10, 2011
956 posts
472 upvotes
Vancouver
Wizerman wrote:
Mar 25th, 2018 2:58 pm
Hi,

I can confirm:
Received text message from Chatr Wireless stating that starting Oct 2018, current plan of $35.00 + taxes will be invoiced at $40.00+taxes. (Unlimited call/text and MMS in North America from Chatr Zone, International text, 6GB Data etc)

Briefly: Initially it was $30.00 plan from Mobilicity --> moved to Chatr for same price and features --> Later on, before some months, Chatr increased it to $35.00 and.... now, $40.00.

Simply, it appears that Chatr (Original Mobilicity customer) will be merged in Rogers OR will be invoiced at Rogers rates (THE parent company)...... Again, Wireless monopoly will remain in effect in Canada...
An incrediblely insightful post. Wow, before long, the Mobilicity benefit will be ZERO from Chatr/Rogers. Their plan to grab the spectrum and dump the Mobilicity customers has worked perfectly for Rogers' lawyers.
Apr 10, 2011
956 posts
472 upvotes
Vancouver
Wizerman wrote:
Mar 25th, 2018 2:58 pm
Hi,

I can confirm:
Received text message from Chatr Wireless stating that starting Oct 2018, current plan of $35.00 + taxes will be invoiced at $40.00+taxes. (Unlimited call/text and MMS in North America from Chatr Zone, International text, 6GB Data etc)

Briefly: Initially it was $30.00 plan from Mobilicity --> moved to Chatr for same price and features --> Later on, before some months, Chatr increased it to $35.00 and.... now, $40.00.

Simply, it appears that Chatr (Original Mobilicity customer) will be merged in Rogers OR will be invoiced at Rogers rates (THE parent company)...... Again, Wireless monopoly will remain in effect in Canada...
An incrediblely insightful post. Wow, before long, the Mobilicity benefit will be ZERO from Chatr/Rogers. Their plan to grab the spectrum and dump the Mobilicity customers has worked perfectly for Rogers'.

Why aren't the precise details of the Rogers deal with the federal government made public? Otherwise no one from the federal government will monitor Rogers' compliance towards the agreement.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
5751 posts
1204 upvotes
Toronto
Aryagorn wrote:
Mar 25th, 2018 3:05 pm
Just received another text. My $35 plan is getting a $5 increase again starting in October.

$30->$35->$40
Oh man - that sucks !!!!

They keep increasing the price for people with plans of $30and up but the people on $25 plan get untouched ?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1689 posts
907 upvotes
Toronto
I am beyond confused. I signed up for 3 accounts with mobilicity at the same time (same day, same dealer), 2 of them got price increases of $5/month, but 1 is still at the original rate.
Apr 14, 2003
209 posts
7 upvotes
I'm on the $25 BF plan. I just received a text for a $5 increase.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2006
2727 posts
213 upvotes
Toronto
Just got a text for a $5 price increase on my $35 plan.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
5751 posts
1204 upvotes
Toronto
Hello- wrote:
Jun 4th, 2018 1:20 pm
Just got a text for a $5 price increase on my $35 plan.
Time to get out