Cell Phones

Mobilicity vs. WIND Mobile - The Great Debate!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2016 11:57 am

Poll: Which carrier are you currently subscribing to?

• Total votes: 567. You have voted on this poll.
WIND Mobile

43%
Mobilicity

31%
Other

26%
Nov 25, 2011
422 posts
60 upvotes
201-8 Sampson Mews, …
I was on Mobilicity for over a year. No problems with anything - great prices, service and all. However, their Achilles heel is their data speed. I don't really care about quantity of data, more the quality (speed) for running certain apps (like Skype) that require a decent speed.

When they brought out their '4G' (I used the term laughingly) speeds were still slow. I added the $20 'Premium' (again, I used the term laughingly) and speeds were still slow. Finally I ported to Wind for a deal almost identical to Mobilicitys and now get speeds of, on average, 3-4 times faster (I tested both sitting at my desk at work and couch at home in downtown Toronto) - sometimes as much as 8-10 times faster. And this is without 'Premium' added on, so I'm actually paying less.

I recommend both Mobilicity or Wind though. If data speed is not an issue, Mobilicity just pips Wind; if data speed is an issue for you then it's not even close - Wind by a country mile.
Jun 9, 2012
23 posts
3 upvotes
Vancouver
Just a heads up, In the "Services Terms and Conditions" under Section 4 (3).
Usage that exceeds reasonable personal usage or average usage
patterns may be deemed misuse of the unlimited Service(s) and Mobilicity may, at its sole
and absolute discretion deny, suspend and / or terminate your Service without
reimbursement.
I guess "what you see isn't always what you get".
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2006
9986 posts
416 upvotes
Hi

I need some assistance as Mobilicity is not being clear cut (at least the service reps in store) but I am looking to move from Mobilicity to Wind. I have the $25 promo plan at half off and that ends in May. Mobilicity has already setup automatic payments which occurs on the 19th of every month. So my May bill will be $25+ tax. I want to port over to WIND mobile for their $20 talk and text plan.
I am currently using the Samsung Galaxy Mini.

I talked to Mobilicity about stopping the preauthorized payments so that they won't charge me and then port over but the customer rep was saying if I cancelled it, I would lose my current number and not be able to port over. I do understand that my phone will need to †o be unlocked. Any assistance would be appreciated.

*Just for those interested. Mobilicity service is as described. It varies but for the most part it isn't great (I don't have expectations that WIND will be much better) but when they have a shop at Scarborough Town Centre and then you walk over to The Bay and you lose service, that's just not good enough for me).
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4718 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
thechampion116 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2013 3:09 pm
Hi

I need some assistance as Mobilicity is not being clear cut (at least the service reps in store) but I am looking to move from Mobilicity to Wind. I have the $25 promo plan at half off and that ends in May. Mobilicity has already setup automatic payments which occurs on the 19th of every month. So my May bill will be $25+ tax. I want to port over to WIND mobile for their $20 talk and text plan.

I talked to Mobilicity about stopping the preauthorized payments so that they won't charge me and then port over but the customer rep was saying if I cancelled it, I would lose my current number and not be able to port over. I do understand that my phone will need to †o be unlocked. Any assistance would be appreciated.

*Just for those interested. Mobilicity service is as described. It varies but for the most part it isn't great (I don't have expectations that WIND will be much better) but when they have a shop at Scarborough Town Centre and then you walk over to The Bay and you lose service, that's just not good enough for me).
If I remember correctly Mobi charges your CC 2 or 3 days in advance of your top-up date. So I'd advise you to sign up and port your number 4-5 days or more before the 19th to Wind. In that case, as soon as the port is done, which can range from 15 minutes to 24 hours which is why I recommend to initiate the port several days in advance, your Mobilicity account will be cancelled which shouldn't cause your CC getting charged.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
11433 posts
2107 upvotes
Toronto
thechampion116 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2013 3:09 pm
Hi

@icemasta is correct, you don't need to do anything to an existing account that you want to port out. Porting out will cancel the account. As for your concern about Wind being the same, I can tell you that you will find coverage to be way better than Mobilicity. That is not to say Wind is anywhere near perfect.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14312 posts
1975 upvotes
Toronto
I'm on Wind now but I was using Mobilicity for 2+ years. I can say that Mobilicity has much better voice quality but Wind is miles ahead in data quality and coverage. Overall Wind wins.

Mobilicity Pros
Best Billing System (My Wallet feature was pretty good)
Cheapest Prices
Great Voice Quality

Wind Pros
Great Coverage
Great Data Speeds
Great Account Portal
Deal Fanatic
Jul 27, 2006
9986 posts
416 upvotes
thanks to everyone for the assistance. it is my moms phone so i will port out. she finds the voice quality good on mobilicity but doesn't like that the service cuts in random places within Scarborough and Toronto. It will probably happen for WIND but right now everything comes down to price and Mobilicity had a good promo plan (1/2 half so about 12.50) per month for a year but its now 28.50 after taxes and I ain't saving much going to wind ($20+tax for talk/text) but it should be good enough.
Nov 2, 2011
671 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
I don't understand the windtab. lets say a phone costs 500 bucks, they say you can save some money by putting the balance on the wind tab. How much do you save?
Aug 5, 2013
3 posts
1 upvote
I was with WIND so i know by experience. Their signal level in burlington horrendous, even though they advertise full GTA coverage my phone was dead more times than I want to remember. I got fell for all the reasons you listed below and signed up. Then the problems start, no signal, dropped calls, network not available, call cannot be completed, SOS as signal strength whatever that means. And sure you can cancel as long as you pay for the phone. Plus here's the real kicker no one ill tell you about, a WIND phone will not work properly on another network. I know for a fact as I'm stuck with a $300 BB curve that won't accept a data plan from any provider. Of course WIND won't tell you that when you buy the phone. So rant all you want, from my experience WIND was horrible and I'm still bitter. From what you write its obvious you've never been a Wind subscriber. Checkout windmobilesucks.com

tr!xxy wrote:
Feb 20th, 2012 1:30 pm
This thread will attempt to compare WIND Mobile & Mobilicity to help readers pick between the two. If there is anything that I've missed, send me a PM and I'll edit the post.

Both WIND and Mobilicity run HSPA on the frequency of 1700 MHz. Why is this important? Well, not every handset in the world supports this frequency and so we are somewhat limited as to what phones we may use. Thus, we cannot use the Motorola Razr (with freq. HSDPA 850/900/1900/2100) on either network. We can however use the Nokia N900 (with freq. HSDPA 900/1700/2100) on WIND's or Mobilicity's network.

Sometimes, we have phones such as the Blackberry Bold 9900 with either frequencies of HSDPA 850/1900/2100/800 OR HSDPA 900/1700/2100..so what exactly does that mean? Well, the Big 3 (Rogers, Bell, and TELUS) all use the frequencies of 850/1900 MHz and carry the specific version of the Bold that has frequencies 850/1900/2100/800...1700 is missing which means that this particular version of the Bold WOULD NOT work on Mobilicity or WIND.

Other times, we have phones like the Galaxy Nexus which has frequencies HSDPA 850/900/1700/1900/2100...it has all the bands required, aka a pentaband handset! So, what does this mean? Well, the phone will work on ALL networks in Canada and for the most part anywhere in the world. So the Galaxy Nexus that Rogers carries would work on WIND and vice versa.

To dumb it all up, the only phones that will work on WIND or Mobilicity are PENTABAND handsets, UNLOCKED handsets from T-Mobile USA (this is b/c they also run the same type of network), or any handset from both providers that they actually sell. If you want to check the included frequencies of a phone, visit the GSMarena link at the bottom of the post or visit the manufacturer's website.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now that the confusing part is out of the way, let's get to the comparison.

Coverage: WIND wins.

Reason being is that when they launched they planned to become a national provider and have recently been expanding aggressively. Currently, they offer services in the GTA (which includes Hamilton), Ottawa, Barrie, Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph, part of the Niagara Region, and London. Outside of Ontario, WIND has coverage in Gatineau, Quebec; Calgary and Edmonton in Alberta; and the GVA, Whistler and Abbotsford cities in British Columbia. Last I recall, there are plans to expand to Halifax and Manitoba as well as Saskatchewan.

Mobilicity, on the other hand, has not expanded at all since they have launched. Currently, they offer services in the GTA, Ottawa including Gatineau, Calgary, Edmonton, and the GVA. I have not heard of any plans to expand.

One should also note that covered areas vary. For example, while WIND covers Pickering, Ajax, and Oshawa as part of the GTA...Mobilicity does not.

Roaming: Mobilicity wins.

Roaming is when you use another network that you do NOT subscribe to. And so the question is...when we're outside of the coverage area? WE GET NO SERVICE?!!?! No. You DO get service, just not from either provider's network instead both providers roam on Rogers' network in Canada. And the great thing is that even with roaming, you'll probably still pay less than what you would on the Big 3 b/c they would charge you LD for being outside your LOCAL CALLING AREA. Back to WIND and Mobilicity though, WIND offers roaming in Canada at a rate of 0.25/per min for phone calls and 0.15/per text for SMS. Mobilicity, on the other hand, offers roaming at a rate of 0.20/per min for phone calls and 0.10/per text for SMS. Most of Mobilicity's plans also include some roaming minutes. Data services; don't even use it...stick to Wi-Fi.

Reception: WIND wins (up for debate).

Some people swear by Mobilicity and some swear by WIND. Here is what I CAN tell you however...overall; WIND has better signal strength b/c they have more antennas and towers set up, so kudos to WIND for that. However, there are some that claim Mobilicity's voice quality is a lot better than WIND. Reason being? Probably b/c there are fewer users on the network. IMO, when WIND began...yes, they had some weird things going on during voice calls but about almost a year ago, calls have been fine for me. Reason I give WIND the win for this b/c what good is supposed voice quality if signal strength is not there? Reception varies from person to person...the winner of this category can change which is why I've said it's up for debate.

Data Services: Varies.

Inconsistency will be plenty with regards to speed as it depends on what part of the city you're in, how many users are connected to a specific tower, congestion, etc. I have seen amazing speeds on both providers but also pathetic ones as well. Both providers offer UNLIMITED DATA but that does NOT mean your speed is UNLIMITED as well. WIND's FU (fair usage, not f**k you) policy is that after 5GB of data in a month, they MAY slow your speed down (10GB, if you have the tethering add-on). Mobilicity does NOT have a DEFINED FU policy, however according to HowardForums...it is apparently 100MB/15 mins; you can work out the math for a month.

Unlocking: WIND wins.

After 3 months of purchase, WIND will give you the unlock code for a handset for $10. Mobilicity does not currently offer unlock codes.

Plans: Varies.

Mobilicity has 4 different plans while WIND has 2. I can't decide what will work for you so that's for you to research.

Postpaid/Prepaid: WIND wins.

Mobilicity is strictly prepaid, which means if you have a $25 plan...you must pay the whole amount on your top-up day or you have no service. This offers complete bill control but also inconvenience for those who forget often...there is always pre-authorized payments however. WIND offers both prepaid and postpaid as well, which is like any other regular bill that you receive. Their prepaid refills are also available at many stores such as Macs and 7/11. For the sole reason that WIND provides BOTH options, WIND
Aug 5, 2013
3 posts
1 upvote
You're missing key information
I was with WIND so i know by experience. Their signal level in burlington horrendous, even though they advertise full GTA coverage my phone was dead more times than I want to remember. I got fell for all the reasons you listed below and signed up. Then the problems start, no signal, dropped calls, network not available, call cannot be completed, SOS as signal strength whatever that means. And sure you can cancel as long as you pay for the phone. Plus here's the real kicker no one ill tell you about, a WIND phone will not work properly on another network. I know for a fact as I'm stuck with a $300 BB curve that won't accept a data plan from any provider. Of course WIND won't tell you that when you buy the phone. So rant all you want, from my experience WIND was horrible and I'm still bitter. From what you write its obvious you've never been a Wind subscriber. Checkout windmobilesucks.com

tr!xxy wrote:
Feb 20th, 2012 1:30 pm
This thread will attempt to compare WIND Mobile & Mobilicity to help readers pick between the two. If there is anything that I've missed, send me a PM and I'll edit the post.

Both WIND and Mobilicity run HSPA on the frequency of 1700 MHz. Why is this important? Well, not every handset in the world supports this frequency and so we are somewhat limited as to what phones we may use. Thus, we cannot use the Motorola Razr (with freq. HSDPA 850/900/1900/2100) on either network. We can however use the Nokia N900 (with freq. HSDPA 900/1700/2100) on WIND's or Mobilicity's network.

Sometimes, we have phones such as the Blackberry Bold 9900 with either frequencies of HSDPA 850/1900/2100/800 OR HSDPA 900/1700/2100..so what exactly does that mean? Well, the Big 3 (Rogers, Bell, and TELUS) all use the frequencies of 850/1900 MHz and carry the specific version of the Bold that has frequencies 850/1900/2100/800...1700 is missing which means that this particular version of the Bold WOULD NOT work on Mobilicity or WIND.

Other times, we have phones like the Galaxy Nexus which has frequencies HSDPA 850/900/1700/1900/2100...it has all the bands required, aka a pentaband handset! So, what does this mean? Well, the phone will work on ALL networks in Canada and for the most part anywhere in the world. So the Galaxy Nexus that Rogers carries would work on WIND and vice versa.

To dumb it all up, the only phones that will work on WIND or Mobilicity are PENTABAND handsets, UNLOCKED handsets from T-Mobile USA (this is b/c they also run the same type of network), or any handset from both providers that they actually sell. If you want to check the included frequencies of a phone, visit the GSMarena link at the bottom of the post or visit the manufacturer's website.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

Now that the confusing part is out of the way, let's get to the comparison.

Coverage: WIND wins.

Reason being is that when they launched they planned to become a national provider and have recently been expanding aggressively. Currently, they offer services in the GTA (which includes Hamilton), Ottawa, Barrie, Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph, part of the Niagara Region, and London. Outside of Ontario, WIND has coverage in Gatineau, Quebec; Calgary and Edmonton in Alberta; and the GVA, Whistler and Abbotsford cities in British Columbia. Last I recall, there are plans to expand to Halifax and Manitoba as well as Saskatchewan.

Mobilicity, on the other hand, has not expanded at all since they have launched. Currently, they offer services in the GTA, Ottawa including Gatineau, Calgary, Edmonton, and the GVA. I have not heard of any plans to expand.

One should also note that covered areas vary. For example, while WIND covers Pickering, Ajax, and Oshawa as part of the GTA...Mobilicity does not.

Roaming: Mobilicity wins.

Roaming is when you use another network that you do NOT subscribe to. And so the question is...when we're outside of the coverage area? WE GET NO SERVICE?!!?! No. You DO get service, just not from either provider's network instead both providers roam on Rogers' network in Canada. And the great thing is that even with roaming, you'll probably still pay less than what you would on the Big 3 b/c they would charge you LD for being outside your LOCAL CALLING AREA. Back to WIND and Mobilicity though, WIND offers roaming in Canada at a rate of 0.25/per min for phone calls and 0.15/per text for SMS. Mobilicity, on the other hand, offers roaming at a rate of 0.20/per min for phone calls and 0.10/per text for SMS. Most of Mobilicity's plans also include some roaming minutes. Data services; don't even use it...stick to Wi-Fi.

Reception: WIND wins (up for debate).

Some people swear by Mobilicity and some swear by WIND. Here is what I CAN tell you however...overall; WIND has better signal strength b/c they have more antennas and towers set up, so kudos to WIND for that. However, there are some that claim Mobilicity's voice quality is a lot better than WIND. Reason being? Probably b/c there are fewer users on the network. IMO, when WIND began...yes, they had some weird things going on during voice calls but about almost a year ago, calls have been fine for me. Reason I give WIND the win for this b/c what good is supposed voice quality if signal strength is not there? Reception varies from person to person...the winner of this category can change which is why I've said it's up for debate.

Data Services: Varies.

Inconsistency will be plenty with regards to speed as it depends on what part of the city you're in, how many users are connected to a specific tower, congestion, etc. I have seen amazing speeds on both providers but also pathetic ones as well. Both providers offer UNLIMITED DATA but that does NOT mean your speed is UNLIMITED as well. WIND's FU (fair usage, not f**k you) policy is that after 5GB of data in a month, they MAY slow your speed down (10GB, if you have the tethering add-on). Mobilicity does NOT have a DEFINED FU policy, however according to HowardForums...it is apparently 100MB/15 mins; you can work out the math for a month.

Unlocking: WIND wins.

After 3 months of purchase, WIND will give you the unlock code for a handset for $10. Mobilicity does not currently offer unlock codes.

Plans: Varies.

Mobilicity has 4 different plans while WIND has 2. I can't decide what will work for you so that's for you to research.

Postpaid/Prepaid: WIND wins.

Mobilicity is strictly prepaid, which means if you have a $25 plan...you must pay the whole amount on your top-up day or you have no service. This offers complete bill control but also inconvenience for those who forget often...there is always pre-authorized payments however. WIND offers both prepaid and postpaid as well, which is like any other regular bill that you receive. Their prepaid refills are also available at many stores such as Macs and 7/11. For the sole reason that WIND provides BOTH options, WIND
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2008
1768 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
ilapastel wrote:
May 13th, 2013 1:43 pm
I don't understand the windtab. lets say a phone costs 500 bucks, they say you can save some money by putting the balance on the wind tab. How much do you save?
$500 phone
-$300 windTAB
=$200 price upfront

10% of your plan cost gets paid off each month

depending on when you sign up, in 2 or 3 years the remaining tab balance will be cleared
© 2015
Sep 5, 2011
27 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
they reception is pretty bad and strange... :(
I live near North York and go to York U and the reception is really sucky.
I have a $25+tax plan that I started in January but I'm gonna change it to Wind soon cuz the reception is TOO sucky on Campus. I even called to ask and I know they have a tower near campus but I get ROAMING on most of the campus!! (And even in basements) Which is totally stupid since I'm inside Toronto. So basically, I have NO RECEPTION on campus unless I go to the 2nd floor of the main campus library (Scott). That's the only spot where my phone works. I have to say having no reception AT ALL on most of the campus is pretty dangerous. The campus is pretty big and there are a lot assault cases at York so it's def a big issue not being able to call 911.

For phone calls and just getting reception bars in general: I can't call/speak if my phone is pointed away from the window which is really strange. And when I come out of the subway, I don't automatically get reception. I have to turn my phone on and off or turn the airplane mode on and off. (I have a Nexus 4 but I doubt it's my phone's problem.)
For text messages, it usually works well but sometimes I don't get photos until the next day. This probably has to do with the reception.
Internet's really slow but I usually just use text and Wifi so it's not that big of a deal. But it IS really, really slow unless you have 4 bars.

Just a question for anyone with Wind, anyone know how the quality is at York? What about inside buildings?
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3616 posts
49 upvotes
lorish wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2013 10:19 am

Just a question for anyone with Wind, anyone know how the quality is at York? What about inside buildings?
Some spots in curtis/basement of Ross is a no go, just way too much concrete. everywhere else is fine for me

for data i am usually around 2000kbps, but is can vary from ~500 to ~4000. Air York plus is in most buildings I use so i'm not on data very much.
× < >