Cell Phones

Mobilicity vs. WIND Mobile - The Great Debate!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2016 11:57 am

Poll: Which carrier are you currently subscribing to?

• Total votes: 567. You have voted on this poll.
WIND Mobile

43%
Mobilicity

31%
Other

26%
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4718 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
Used to be with Mobilicity with the $35 FnF plan but switched to Wind's AITF $35 plan last December.

Wind does a better job on providing signal to to commercial coverage such as malls and stores, this is mainly due to the repeaters they have installed.
However, Mobilicity does a much better job in the residential side. For example in my house and other houses I've visited and compared, I always had a better signal with Mobilicity than Wind. It's not that Wind didn't always work in the houses, it just wasn't as good as Mobilicity.

Voice quality wise, Mobilicity wins hands down. Mobilicity provided crystal clear voice while Wind, it has gotten better, does randomly suffer from half-duplex issue which can get annoying.

In the end I did switch to Wind due to better commercial coverage such as at my school and malls, and to the fact they are geared to be next national carrier and being that my plans were the same price it didn't hurt to switch over.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2007
3423 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
good deals but all the phones support 1800 or w/e and not 1700

like sony ericsson RAY I WANT
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7487 posts
329 upvotes
Canada
I'm with Wind and Rogers, and in my areas in Toronto and Ottawa, I get comparable reception, fewer dropped calls and faster data speeds with Wind surprisingly.

Maybe it's just my area, but, makes me feel good to have my HMP with Wind.

I hope T-Mobile in the US continues to grow, because without T-Mo, Wind and Mobilicity are both dead.

Can't comment on Mobilicity, but, I'm happy with the number of cities Wind is covered in. And free receiving texts from anywhere in the world is a great perk, especially when I'm traveling to the US
He died for me, I live for him
youtube videos are not allowed in signatures (links or embeds)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2005
7410 posts
422 upvotes
Im planning to go over to wind....is the Nexus phone or Galaxy S II part of any tab packages?.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
8775 posts
590 upvotes
gizmo8 wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2012 10:47 am
Im planning to go over to wind....is the Nexus phone or Galaxy S II part of any tab packages?.
Nexus S is free on tab+ and Galaxy Nexus is 249 on tab+. SGS2 isn't supported by the network.
[OP]
Oct 10, 2008
668 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
taro-chan wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2012 12:52 pm
Nexus S is free on tab+ and Galaxy Nexus is 249 on tab+. SGS2 isn't supported by the network.

The Samsung Galaxy SII X from TELUS will work with WIND/Mobilicity, however you wouldn't get any subsidy as opposed to buying on Tab from WIND.
I hope T-Mobile in the US continues to grow, because without T-Mo, Wind and Mobilicity are both dead.
I don't think AWS in the US is going anywhere, T-Mobile may still want out but they'd have to sell to another company and of course, they can't sell to AT&T.
I remember reading that Dish Network may have been interested in purchasing T-Mobile.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1167 posts
72 upvotes
Kitchener
Anyone think we'll see those great plans again like HMP and AITF or is Wind getting to big now to offer deals like that?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4718 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
X-Nemesis wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2012 3:50 pm
Anyone think we'll see those great plans again like HMP and AITF or is Wind getting to big now to offer deals like that?

Wind and Mobilicity will always have promos until their networks are much more comparable to the Big 3. However the question is how good the promo's will be are debatable. For example, I'm sure we will see if the HMP pop up every now and then but seeing it at say $45 wouldn't be surprising as the network gets bigger.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2002
1167 posts
72 upvotes
Kitchener
It makes me wonder...Wind was allowed to operate in Canada to stimulate some real competition price wise. But the impression I get is that the bigger THEY get, the more like the big 3 they'll become and in the end...more companies but absolutely no real competition for us the consumer...thoughts?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2006
4718 posts
441 upvotes
Toronto
X-Nemesis wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2012 4:41 pm
It makes me wonder...Wind was allowed to operate in Canada to stimulate some real competition price wise. But the impression I get is that the bigger THEY get, the more like the big 3 they'll become and in the end...more companies but absolutely no real competition for us the consumer...thoughts?

Considering that Wind's and Mobilicity's initial pricing was nowhere near competitive may speak something.
One of the biggest reasons the pricing is low is because they can't exactly compete with the Big 3 in terms of coverage, reception, and phone selection. Disregarding that, it's prob. best to at least secure the plan + price now from Wind and Mobilicity because we will not see this pricing forever, especially unlimited data for $10.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
554 upvotes
shannn wrote:
Feb 21st, 2012 11:20 pm
I'm with Wind and Rogers, and in my areas in Toronto and Ottawa, I get comparable reception, fewer dropped calls and faster data speeds with Wind surprisingly.

Maybe it's just my area, but, makes me feel good to have my HMP with Wind.

Can't comment on Mobilicity, but, I'm happy with the number of cities Wind is covered in. And free receiving texts from anywhere in the world is a great perk, especially when I'm traveling to the US

receiving texts is free anywhere in the world on rogers as well I'm pretty sure?

Wind and mobilicity are dead period, it's just a race to see which one folds first.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7487 posts
329 upvotes
Canada
gilboman wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2012 5:26 pm
receiving texts is free anywhere in the world on rogers as well I'm pretty sure?

Wind and mobilicity are dead period, it's just a race to see which one folds first.

Kinda like how Jeremy Lin is going to forever PG off the bench, and who is all fluke, right? ;)

Always the pessimist, lol. Wind will be fine heading into the future. With them opening shop in Regina, Winnipeg and Halifax soon, as well as expanding coverage in BC and Ontario, I wouldn't be surprised if they surpass 600K subs this year, and hopefully 1 million by 2014 as they continue to expand and improve coverage. Mobilicity, I'm not too sure.

And Rogers texts are free incoming only if you have a text plan, otherwise you are paying 20 cents per text in Canada and the US, not sure about the rest of the world, but I would assume it is also free with a text plan (which is a recent change btw, something to thank Wind and Mobilicity for increasing competition in Canada).
He died for me, I live for him
youtube videos are not allowed in signatures (links or embeds)
× < >