Cell Phones

Mobilicity vs. WIND Mobile - The Great Debate!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 10th, 2016 11:57 am

Poll: Which carrier are you currently subscribing to?

• Total votes: 567. You have voted on this poll.
WIND Mobile

43%
Mobilicity

31%
Other

26%
[OP]
Oct 10, 2008
668 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
gilboman wrote:
Feb 22nd, 2012 5:26 pm
receiving texts is free anywhere in the world on rogers as well I'm pretty sure?

Wind and mobilicity are dead period, it's just a race to see which one folds first.

I don't get this pessimism either, even if you're not subscribing to either carrier...you're still benefiting from them because of the increased competition they bring. Competition creates innovation which in the end serves the consumer better. On a side note, the poll now has Mobilicity nearly tied to WIND...interesting.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 26, 2003
8783 posts
594 upvotes
tr!xxy wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2012 1:12 pm
I don't get this pessimism either, even if you're not subscribing to either carrier...you're still benefiting from them because of the increased competition they bring.
Competition creates innovation which in the end serves the consumer better. On a side note, the poll now has Mobilicity nearly tied to WIND...interesting.
Agreed. And worse case, they both get bought out by an existing carrier and your plan gets grandfathered into that carrier.
[OP]
Oct 10, 2008
668 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
WIND Mobile customers, you can now activate add-ons through the My Account portal...
Can anyone tell me if Mobilicity has this as well?

[OP]
Oct 10, 2008
668 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
Mobilicity is back with an awesome plan! Again as the 1st post states, leading by providing value. They will be bringing back the $25BTS plan and will also offer a $100 port-in credit. For those that don't know, the $25 BTS Plan offers the following:

+ Unlimited Local Calling
+ Unlimited CAN/US SMS & MMS
+ Unlimited Data
+ Caller ID
+ unlimited Mobilicity-to-Mobilicity calling
- voicemail is not included, $8/mth extra.

http://mobilicity.ca/make-the-leap/
Mar 23, 2004
33699 posts
2293 upvotes
Markham
tr!xxy wrote:
Feb 26th, 2012 3:27 pm
WIND Mobile customers, you can now activate add-ons through the My Account portal...
Can anyone tell me if Mobilicity has this as well?

yes mobi has that as well.
「もし、奇跡を起こせたら……」
[OP]
Oct 10, 2008
668 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like WIND is no longer competing with Mobilicity, price-wise...
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9452 posts
885 upvotes
How so ?
tr!xxy wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2012 10:45 pm
Looks like WIND is no longer competing with Mobilicity, price-wise...
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2009
2074 posts
61 upvotes
sexyj wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2012 11:06 pm
How so ?

Maybe cause people are always comparing Wind's Reg plans with Mobi's Promo's...

IMHO, I still think Wind is the bigger bang for the buck..

Although I get the occasional drop call but that doesn't happen till I start talking like 2 hr at a time..
I can Code Exx BMWs
Nov 2, 2011
292 posts
97 upvotes
LANGLEY
I have a question about Mobilicity.

It would win for me if I had to pick one today as Wind's network cuts off right in my neighbourhood...

I am thinking of signing up for this after my Bell contract but was wondering one thing.

http://mobilicity.ca/plans/unlimited-plans/

On those plans it says North American text and video messaging. That includes outside their normal coverage zone as well right? And calling outside their zone on those plans is the $0.20 a minute right?
Jul 24, 2008
762 posts
27 upvotes
CMvan46 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2012 6:29 am
I have a question about Mobilicity.

It would win for me if I had to pick one today as Wind's network cuts off right in my neighbourhood...

I am thinking of signing up for this after my Bell contract but was wondering one thing.

http://mobilicity.ca/plans/unlimited-plans/

On those plans it says North American text and video messaging. That includes outside their normal coverage zone as well right? And calling outside their zone on those plans is the $0.20 a minute right?

texting outside the home zone is 10 cents in/out.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9452 posts
885 upvotes
I ported my mobi $25 BTS to wind's $25 plan with BB.

I have 2 lines with wind,

1- HMP with android phone
2- $25 plan with bb

The wind coverage is just better, I signed up with mobi back in november hoping it would expand the coverage into Hamilton back now, but nop. So the $25 plan from wind is perfect for me.
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]
Jul 7, 2006
260 posts
53 upvotes
Scarborough
I would have to agree with sexyj. I had been using Mobilicity until the end of December, and comparing it with Wind in Scarborough, there is no comparison. Wind has better coverage and reception compared to Mobilicity period. Mobilicity's network is a lot more inconsistent in terms of network reception, as it dropped frequently without warning. I've also been using Wind in Waterloo, and haven't had any major issues with coverage.
Deal Guru
Dec 12, 2009
11449 posts
2112 upvotes
Toronto
If you are within mobilicity's coverage area, it is a no brainer. They win on value by a country mile. Wind has made it very clear, they want in on the robellus club. The new plans with 100 megs of data speaks for itself.
Penalty Box
Feb 10, 2007
9452 posts
885 upvotes
Not sure what you are talking about the wind $25 plan.

No carrier outside of the AWS/CDMA spectrum is offering 100MB data (with BIS) + unlimited local calling for $25.

BIS alone cost at least $5 / mo on most carriers.

will888 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2012 6:08 pm
If you are within mobilicity's coverage area, it is a no brainer. They win on value by a country mile. Wind has made it very clear, they want in on the robellus club. The new plans with 100 megs of data speaks for itself.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2003
1334 posts
2718 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the future LTE prospects of Mobilicity and Wind. Following the federal government's recent decision on the rules regarding the upcoming wireless spectrum auction, Wind announced they were boycotting the auction. Mobilicity, however, said they were going to be aggressive in bidding for spectrum. So in a couple years' time, perhaps Wind could be left behind once the Big 3 and Mobi start rolling out LTE networks in the 700 MHz band, which would have very good building penetration...

I also seem to recall reading some articles recently about that Egyptian billioniare from Orascom Telecom (which is the main financial backer for Wind Mobile) and how he said investing in Wind in Canada's telecom industry was an investment that he regretted.

Personally, I've never tried Wind nor Mobi yet, but have been thinking about porting over from Rogers...
RFD Member # 3476!
× < >