EX- Moblicity plans are dishonored by Robbers

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 18th, 2017 12:58 am
Banned
Sep 5, 2016
344 posts
370 upvotes

EX- Moblicity plans are dishonored by Robbers

Robbers again repeat old tricks after takeover Moblicity client. After one year they start kick out grandfathered EX Moblicity plans & start increasing price with old Robbers pet fashion. I received this message yesterday

“ chatr service msg: On your next anniversary date of 11/20/2017 your service fee will increase by $5 per month.

Also, starting on Oct 25, 2017 the pay-per-use rates for your chatr services will be changing. You can view all rate changes at www.chatrmobile.com/ppuchanges732 . All other features included in your plan will remain the same.

This change is made in accordance with the CRTC Wireless Code. If you wish to change or cancel your chatr service please contact us at www.chatrmobile.com/contactus . “
30 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
There is not increase for the $25 plan.

They raised my $30 plan to $35 next month. Next month, I will be moving to Zoomer Wireless $36 plan with LTE data and no zone restriction. I use about 300 - 400MB data per month. I will pay $30 with zone restriction. For $35, I will not put up with the zone restriction and max data speed of 3Mbps
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Oct 14, 2009
470 posts
83 upvotes
OP, what plan are you on currently with the ex-Mobilicity plan?

I am on $25 per month and luckily, there was no increase. In fact, international texting is now included in my plan. Before the change, it is only north america.

Though they increased all other pay per use rates.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
I have a $30 plan. $35 after Nov 16. I will be porting my number to Zoomer $36 plan on Nov 10. I only uses 400MB data/m. I prefer no zones plan and free roaming within Canada.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3914 posts
4767 upvotes
Canada
I'm on $30/6Gb which is now $35.

To me, the increase is like a landlord installing a new door and raising your rent, even though you're on a lease and have provincial rent controls.

Complete BS.

There's the CRTC complaints website that's an easy input form. Each complaint has to be followed up personally by a rep at the company.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/plaint.htm

I'm pretty sure if a bunch of us do it, we'll be bumped down by $5.

Otherwise 'Grandfathered' means absolutely NOTHING!!!

Don't accept it.

Chatr / Mobilicity / Rogers

guru2gr8 wrote: Robbers again repeat old tricks after takeover Moblicity client. After one year they start kick out grandfathered EX Moblicity plans & start increasing price with old Robbers pet fashion. I received this message yesterday

“ chatr service msg: On your next anniversary date of 11/20/2017 your service fee will increase by $5 per month.

Also, starting on Oct 25, 2017 the pay-per-use rates for your chatr services will be changing. You can view all rate changes at www.chatrmobile.com/ppuchanges732 . All other features included in your plan will remain the same.

This change is made in accordance with the CRTC Wireless Code. If you wish to change or cancel your chatr service please contact us at www.chatrmobile.com/contactus . “
Oct 27, 2004
407 posts
896 upvotes
Toronto
I just filed my complaint to protest the over 30% of gauging. Their email is response@ccts-cprst.ca , and you need to provide your complaint, cell # and owner name . Do something if you think is unfair! Thanks!
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1828 posts
574 upvotes
Is there really any grounds for complaints on no term month to month plans, im sure the legal on the plan signup dictates the ability for the provider to change pricing with notice.

Sucks for sure, but this was to be expected?

So far, Public Mobile hasn't messed up my account (Telus is holding it down). We will see what happens going forward, but it looks like that is the last good deal holding out.
Last edited by titaniumtux on Nov 5th, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Foul language
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
Most (all?) cell plans in Canada contains the clause letting them freely change the rate whenever they'd like, after x notice.
I'm actually surprised it took them this long. And now that Rogers started, it's possible that Telus might follow suit (because they can).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
RxMills wrote: I'm on $30/6Gb which is now $35.

To me, the increase is like a landlord installing a new door and raising your rent, even though you're on a lease and have provincial rent controls.

Complete BS.

There's the CRTC complaints website that's an easy input form. Each complaint has to be followed up personally by a rep at the company.

I'm pretty sure if a bunch of us do it, we'll be bumped down by $5.

Otherwise 'Grandfathered' means absolutely NOTHING!!!

Don't accept it.
Sandman wrote: I just filed my complaint to protest the over 30% of gauging. Their email is response@ccts-cprst.ca , and you need to provide your complaint, cell # and owner name . Do something if you think is unfair! Thanks!
LOL
Except there are no "controls" with cellphone service. They give you 30 days notice and can even increase your $30 plan to $3000. Good luck with a complaint to the CRTC who will tell you to complain to the CCTS. Good luck with a complaint to the CCTS who will tell you they do not regulate pricing and reject your complaint. If you don't accept it, you leave.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3914 posts
4767 upvotes
Canada
This has nothing to do with a cell phone company's rights to raise rates.

This has everything to do with the agreement between Rogers and the CRTC for allowing it to purchase Mobilicity. The feds would not allow the big players to purchase it. Finally they accepted Rogers' proposal on the grounds they would preserve existing Mobilicity customers' rate plans.

If you aren't a current Chatr customer
that was automatically transferred from Mobilicity customer, please contribute to another thread as this isn't relivent to you. Your situation is a little different. This is for those that are still with Chatr, and previously with Mobilicity.

It takes 2 minutes and you have nothing to lose. YOU are the CRTC.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2989 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
Where was it stated that preserving Mobilicity rate plans was a requirement for the deal? The main stipulation I've seen is in regards to some spectrum transfer to Shaw (Wind/Freedom Mobile).

Rogers said at the time that they would honor current customers' rate plans after the deal, but that doesn't mean they'd honor it for life with no rate increases.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38395 posts
12020 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Devhux wrote: Rogers said at the time that they would honor current customers' rate plans after the deal, but that doesn't mean they'd honor it for life with no rate increases.
The voice of reason, I totally agree

I’m no fan of a Rogers, but it is unreasonable to expect no increases. $5 is a modest increase on a fairly cheap plan to begin with. Cell phones are still a luxury, not a necessity.

At some point, Rogers need to recover their investment into Mobilicity. You don’t buy a company to keep losing money.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3914 posts
4767 upvotes
Canada
The impression from a few contributors here is that RFD users really care about companies' profits and will sacrifice some of their money if they think that they are getting too good of a deal.

For those interested in maintaining their Mobilicity rate, I'll be sure to PM you my CRTC/Chatr responses down the road. I'm 80% sure thise who object to the hikes (first of many) will get adjusted or compensated. For those others, please give Chatr a little extra at Christmas because they're not making enough money from you.

Yea SANDMAN!!!
Sandman wrote: I just filed my complaint to protest the over 30% of gauging. Their email is response@ccts-cprst.ca , and you need to provide your complaint, cell # and owner name . Do something if you think is unfair! Thanks!
BTW, for those wondering about the posters supporting Chatr/Rogers price hikes, take a look at their past deal comments. They are quick to support and defend Rogers. Hmmmm...

Others are Chatr/Rogers customers who aren't getting the Mobilicity rates. I hope they don't begrudge us of our deal opportunities.
Last edited by RxMills on Nov 7th, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2989 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
RxMills wrote: BTW, for those wondering about the posters supporting Chatr/Rogers price hikes, take a look at their past deal comments. They are quick to support and defend Rogers. Hmmmm...
Umm... Really? Since we know companies raise rates all the time, you assume because we say it, we must be a shill for Rogers?

There was no agreement that your rates would be honored for life, and there is absolutely no precedent of a company doing this. Heck, if Rogers hadn't bought out Mobilicity, they would likely have shut down anyways and you would have lost your plan.

The reason the CRTC was against an incumbent buying Mobilicity was because of the clause that the incumbents were prohibited from gaining access to the spectrum allocated to the new entrants for at least 5 years. In 2015 Rogers was allowed to buy them because they agreed to give spectrum licenses to Freedom Mobile. There was nothing about keeping rate plans (Rogers only did that for goodwill 'they weren't mandated to do so).

You are free to make a complaint to the CRTC/CCTS, but don't be surprised if they don't do anything. Rogers really isn't doing anything "wrong" here as there never was a guarantee of your rates staying the same for life.
Last edited by Devhux on Nov 7th, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3914 posts
4767 upvotes
Canada
Are you a current Chatr customer with previous Mobilicity rates?

If not, why do you persist on trolling here?

Research shows these are Rogers customers who are NOT currently enjoying the Mobilicity deal. We're sorry that you're not enjoying our deal. Please start your own discussion thread elsewhere.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Devhux wrote: Umm... Really? Since we know companies raise rates all the time, you assume because we say it, we must be a shill for Rogers?

There was no agreement that your rates would be honored for life, and there is absolutely no precedent of a company doing this. Heck, if Rogers hadn't bought out Mobilicity, they would likely have shut down anyways and you would have lost your plan.

The reason the CRTC was against an incumbent buying Mobilicity was because of the clause that the incumbents were prohibited from gaining access to the spectrum allocated to the new entrants for at least 5 years. In 2015 Rogers was allowed to buy them because they agreed to give spectrum licenses to Freedom Mobile. There was nothing about keeping rate plans (Rogers only did that for goodwill 'they weren't mandated to do so).

You are free to make a complaint to the CRTC/CCTS, but don't be surprised if they don't do anything. Rogers really isn't doing anything "wrong" here as there never was a guarantee of your rates staying the same for life.
The above is all correct. The key point is that Mobilicity would have gone out of business anyways without being acquired.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2989 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
RxMills wrote: Are you a current Chatr customer with previous Mobilicity rates?

If not, why do you persist on trolling here?

Research shows these are Rogers customers who are NOT currently enjoying the Mobilicity deal. We're sorry that you're not enjoying our deal. Please start your own discussion thread elsewhere.
The only troll here appears to be you (hinting that we're shills here).

You just aren't happy that we are providing a reasonable response as to why Rogers is increasing the rate. There is nothing preventing them from doing so, and I'm sure the CRTC/CCTS will agree. Providing facts is not trolling; providing a different viewpoint than what you expect isn't trolling.

It's not that I want Rogers to have more money (they already take too much from us). It's just pointing out that Rogers really doesn't owe you anything, and they don't have to keep your plan at the price it was. I'm sorry that's not the answer you want to hear, but it's the truth. You might be able to convince them to give you a $5 promotional credit, but as a month to month customer you'll have less leverage than if you were on a contract. As the CRTC made no stipulation on rate plans as part of the deal for Rogers to acquire Mobilicity (despite what you claim), there is a good chance they won't do much themselves.

Your best course of action is to call Chatr and complain. The only reason I've persisted here is because you keep calling me out. That said, I've really said all that needs to be said, and I know it won't change your opinion. That's all fine by me, and I do wish you luck in getting your plan adjusted; I just won't hold my breath.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3914 posts
4767 upvotes
Canada
Thank you for your opinion and I too regret that you're unable to participate in the ongoing Mobilicity-Chatr opportunity.

We'll be sure to give your opinion all the attention that it deserves, as a non-Mobilicity/Chatr customer.

Be sure to share those opinions at the next coffee shop stool.

For those Chatr/Mobilicity customers, in the heritage of the great Mobilicity, don't let Rogers trample over you!

It takes 2 minutes to let the CRTC know your dissatisfaction on their easy form online site. The CRTC will have Rogers easily preserve your rate.

Or, enjoy catching up to the rates paid by other Rogers customers as you get absorbed by a greedy telco who misled the CRTC in order to take over Mobilicity's
spectrum.
guru2gr8 wrote: Robbers again repeat old tricks after takeover Moblicity client. After one year they start kick out grandfathered EX Moblicity plans & start increasing price with old Robbers pet fashion. I received this message yesterday

Last edited by RxMills on Nov 8th, 2017 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2989 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
hvwozq wrote: :lol: It is impossible to reason with this person. I am paying $75 for 15 GB on LTE. I don't care about your zone based plan. Do you even get LTE? Anyway, haven't you filed a complaint yet? [..]
Yeah, they've been told repeatedly that there was no misleading going on here, and that Rogers had to sell some spectrum it gained when buying Mobilicity, but all they want to do is to belittle us who are more knowledgeable because we didn't sign up for Mobilicity in the first place.

Eventually this thread will disappear once the CRTC closes their claim.
Last edited by MrDisco on Nov 8th, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was edited

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)