Computers & Electronics

Modern Day Netbook Capable of Upgrades Exist?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2016 12:50 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes

Modern Day Netbook Capable of Upgrades Exist?

Hello all,

so my Acer Asprire One D255 (about 4 yrs old) is getting to be a bit too slow and almost unusable so I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade. That and the keyboard died out.

While I've looked a bit on the MS store, it doesn't seem any of the netbooks /sub 12" laptops are upgradable (RAM even!)
Is this how all netbooks now are or do I have to spend a lot more $500+ in order to get this?

I don't plan on doing any heavy duty gaming or anything even remotely close, this is just a travel computer I use when I go abroad to do research and/or watch movies on.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :D
12 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4664 posts
1242 upvotes
Toronto
I think you may find it tough to find a netbook that meets your needs. The trend lately seems to be to "hard wire" things like RAM and HDD / SSD onto the main board, presumably to keep costs and size / weight down.

You may want to look into getting a Chromebook -- they are quite functional machines and apparently you can upgrade the SSD in some models (though it is a bit hacky).
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
JHW wrote: I think you may find it tough to find a netbook that meets your needs. The trend lately seems to be to "hard wire" things like RAM and HDD / SSD onto the main board, presumably to keep costs and size / weight down.

You may want to look into getting a Chromebook -- they are quite functional machines and apparently you can upgrade the SSD in some models (though it is a bit hacky).
Thanks, but I'd be content w/ the ram since I can always (well most except Macs) have SD card lots to increase the capacity.

What if I moved up to a 13"?
Any change or better luck?
Oct 16, 2011
18 posts
2 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
You could consider a refurbished late model netbook or a Thinkpad, if weight isn't a concern.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
ktong747 wrote: You could consider a refurbished late model netbook or a Thinkpad, if weight isn't a concern.
Weight is important to me, but any suggestions as to what some late model netbooks to check out are?

I'm more than happy with the ram being upgradable. Storage space is nice to have, but not need to have (upgrade wise that is)
Banned
Oct 9, 2015
1313 posts
252 upvotes
ON
IceBlueShoes wrote: Thanks, but I'd be content w/ the ram since I can always (well most except Macs) have SD card lots to increase the capacity.
FWIW, the majority of Macs have an SD card slot - only the two smallest ones (12"MB & 11"MBA) do not.
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4664 posts
1242 upvotes
Toronto
IceBlueShoes wrote: What if I moved up to a 13"?
Not sure, but I would still suggest that if you want a nice light laptop to take with you while travelling, for e-mail, movies, etc., you should seriously consider a Chromebook. (As long as you are comfortable in the Google universe.)
Oct 16, 2011
18 posts
2 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
I tried a Chromebook last year, there was no SMB support so I couldn't stream media from my home server, that was a deal breaker for me. Ended up returning that and buying a Surface 3.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2641 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto, ON
IceBlueShoes wrote: Thanks, but I'd be content w/ the ram since I can always (well most except Macs) have SD card lots to increase the capacity.

What if I moved up to a 13"?
What? Ram is not storage or related to SD slots.

Why do you need an upgradeable laptop? Did you ever upgrade your aspire one?

Very few laptops have had anything upgradeable other than ram and storage; most people don't need more than 4 to 6GB of ram and you can get external HDD's or 128GB high speed usb keys or even internet based storage.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29538 posts
20458 upvotes
OP, I am not familiar with that model. Is it one of those really low end units that came with a 1024x600 display, 1 or 2 gigs of ram and windows starter edition? If the unit is upgradeable to 4 gigs of ram, I would suggest you pack it full of ram and replace the HDD with a SSD. My Acer Aspire is still going strong after 5 years of ownership. I actually splurged on a SDD and ram upgrade recently to give it a mid life rehab. Combined with windows 10 upgrade, the machine run really smooth. The 11.6 inch form factor and 3 lb weight is near perfect for a laptop. I don't consider a 15.6 inch, 6 lb beast to be portable at all.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4832 posts
759 upvotes
nabiul wrote: What? Ram is not storage or related to SD slots.

Why do you need an upgradeable laptop? Did you ever upgrade your aspire one?

Very few laptops have had anything upgradeable other than ram and storage; most people don't need more than 4 to 6GB of ram and you can get external HDD's or 128GB high speed usb keys or even internet based storage.
Oops I meant them to be separate... lol
I know they're not the same thing. My bad!
will888 wrote: OP, I am not familiar with that model. Is it one of those really low end units that came with a 1024x600 display, 1 or 2 gigs of ram and windows starter edition? If the unit is upgradeable to 4 gigs of ram, I would suggest you pack it full of ram and replace the HDD with a SSD. My Acer Aspire is still going strong after 5 years of ownership. I actually splurged on a SDD and ram upgrade recently to give it a mid life rehab. Combined with windows 10 upgrade, the machine run really smooth. The 11.6 inch form factor and 3 lb weight is near perfect for a laptop. I don't consider a 15.6 inch, 6 lb beast to be portable at all.
Ya. It's one of those. I've already "maxed" it out at 2GB. I'd be super happy if I could take it to 4, but alas, doesn't appear to be the case.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2001
2039 posts
1455 upvotes
Toronto
You should look at a refurb Lenovo x220 or x230.
IceBlueShoes wrote: Hello all,

so my Acer Asprire One D255 (about 4 yrs old) is getting to be a bit too slow and almost unusable so I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade. That and the keyboard died out.

While I've looked a bit on the MS store, it doesn't seem any of the netbooks /sub 12" laptops are upgradable (RAM even!)
Is this how all netbooks now are or do I have to spend a lot more $500+ in order to get this?

I don't plan on doing any heavy duty gaming or anything even remotely close, this is just a travel computer I use when I go abroad to do research and/or watch movies on.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :D
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29538 posts
20458 upvotes
IceBlueShoes wrote:
Ya. It's one of those. I've already "maxed" it out at 2GB. I'd be super happy if I could take it to 4, but alas, doesn't appear to be the case.
I would bail because of the 2 gig ram limitation. Shop around, there are not too many option for small laptops. When there are, they sell for an arm and a leg. Used may be the way to go.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)