Mom fell for the Indian computer scam

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 23rd, 2018 4:18 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10335 posts
6702 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
EnyCe wrote: You're welcome, it's not a bad printer but it's not the best either. It's in excellent shape with no issues. The printer originally did not come with a printer cable (USB A/B), so I threw one in. Setting up the Wi-Fi connection may be as bit confusing (especially for the older generation adults) but if she doesn't want to use wireless, the cable is there should she prefer wired. Either way, all manuals and CD's were included if there's any concerns.

I also left the original empty cartridges in there so she can refer to which specific model of ink she needs from Staples and/or should she wish to refill it at Island Inkjet. Just beware that if you do "refill" it, there's no guarantee it would work (I've never tried). Most inkjet toners nowadays have a special chip inside that detects the level of ink. Once it depletes, the chip won't read anymore and your computer will keep telling you it's out of ink and will refuse to print despite that you "refilled" it. This is to ensure the level of quality is consistent. If it doesn't work, the guys at Island Inkjet won't refund your money so YMMV.

Anyways, hope she likes it and I'm sorry to hear of her bad experience. Brother actually makes very good printer products as I upgraded to a Brother laser printer myself. I enjoy helping others and I hope this post encourages others to do the same.
Can check if Costco will refill them.

Believe they only refill OEM cartridges.

More info: http://costcoinkjetrefill.ca/
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
Brother printers are dirt worst... always break down and their support is virtually non-existent.
Apr 30, 2014
259 posts
118 upvotes
Sanyo wrote: Brother printers are dirt worst... always break down and their support is virtually non-existent.
That is not true from my experience with their Brother HL-2040. It never broke down and I never had to call their support line.

Aha! You must be working for Sanyo.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
12381 posts
11307 upvotes
TeateaM wrote: That is not true from my experience with their Brother HL-2040. It never broke down and I never had to call their support line.

They dont have a support line anymore... hence... non-existent
Apr 30, 2014
259 posts
118 upvotes
Sanyo wrote: Brother printers are dirt worst... always break down and their support is virtually non-existent.
Sanyo wrote: They dont have a support line anymore... hence... non-existent
Make up your mind. If it is virtually non-existent, no matter how miniscule, it still exists. That means that they still provide support.

Your posts that I quoted contradict each other.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
EnyCe wrote: Just dropped it off at her residence.
Very nice of you.... you better not have loaded malware onto it! lol :)

OP, I wouldn't trust the goons at staples to clean a PC. Some malware is very hard to detect and get rid of.

Also, where did this sticker come from? Is it a legit Brother sticker and the call centre guys are running this scam at their real support job? I'd definitely complain to Brother and post Google/Facebook reviews about it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
EnyCe wrote: Just dropped it off at her residence.
That was very nice of you.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
nasa25 wrote: Lol at 2 downvotes.

Some morons visited this thread I guess.
The entertainment value of this thread is high. I don't downvote good entertaining posts like this. Face With Tears Of Joy
That said, fake support numbers are a real thing. My (age 60+) family member tried to call Amazon, and ended up calling a fake number he found on the internet.
They got remote access to his computer, all his ID, credit cards, everything. He got back the $1000 they charged on his cards, but it was a massive hassle to replace all his ID, etc.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Jucius Maximus wrote: The entertainment value of this thread is high. I don't downvote good entertaining posts like this. Face With Tears Of Joy
That said, fake support numbers are a real thing. My (age 60+) family member tried to call Amazon, and ended up calling a fake number he found on the internet.
They got remote access to his computer, all his ID, credit cards, everything. He got back the $1000 they charged on his cards, but it was a massive hassle to replace all his ID, etc.
Wow that’s nuts

These printer scammers were semi intelligent by hijacking a support number that was on older brother printers. The scam was still dumb as hell for people that are semi tech literate however.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
2372 posts
3008 upvotes
TeateaM wrote: That is not true from my experience with their Brother HL-2040. It never broke down and I never had to call their support line.

I still have my brother hl 2040, still works fine, maybe 20 years old, Windows 95 era.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
nasa25 wrote: Lol at 2 downvotes.

Some morons visited this thread I guess.
Up/down is kind of confusing with a thread like this. I mean if you thumbs up, are you saying it's a good thing your mom fell for a computer scam? I mean that's what it seems like--"Mom fell for computer scam"..."Yes! Thumbs up, way to go!"--either ends up being sarcasm or thinking it's a good thing your mom got scammed. I mean that's one way of thinking of it anyway.

Anyway I think scams like this happen one of a few ways:
1. The number on the printer is old and not used by the company anymore (the scammers use the same number to fish for ppl later)
2. The number dialed was a "common misdialing" of the number on the printer. For example 3926 being typed in the phone as 3296--scammers may take up numbers like this in hopes of incorrectly dialed numbers.
3. The company has outsourced support but then there are scammers on the inside of that company who will then refer you to another "business" who are the scammers--hence why they may give you a different number or ask for your number to call you back--the first number might have been "legit" but they are re-directing your call to the scammers because the scammers get people to work in those places to setup the scams.
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
719 posts
1759 upvotes
Why don't we all mess with this company, like think about it, there's quite a few of us and if we each call and mess with them we can waste their time and piss them off
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27158 posts
37134 upvotes
These guys are almost as bad as the East Indian CRA scammers.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
rubikas001 wrote: Why don't we all mess with this company, like think about it, there's quite a few of us and if we each call and mess with them we can waste their time and piss them off
That's exactly how you stop this - reverse scam them. Someone needs to come up with a clever piece of software to bog down their system
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Banned
Dec 14, 2017
719 posts
1759 upvotes
blexann wrote: That's exactly how you stop this - reverse scam them. Someone needs to come up with a clever piece of software to bog down their system
You're right, anyone wanna start a team and stop this nonsense!
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
2862 posts
1243 upvotes
Gta
Omg. This thread is making me think back to about a year ago when my Hp 1102laserjet printer was acting up. It’s getting to be old and it does act up from time to time but I don’t print a lot at home. That particular day I just couldn’t get it to print so I phoned HP technical support. I seem to recall him having me hook up my laptop ( which is a work laptop ) so he could check for issues remotely. I dont remember much other than him stating that there was an issue with my laptop (but he said I’d have to check with my employer about that ...probably he couldn’t do much cause there is a firewall or virus protection on there ? ...I don’t know) and despite trying to fix my printer it could not be fixed and since it was out of warranty he could get me an excellent price on a new printer for 150 bucks ( I originally paid 49). I laughed and told him for that much I could just walk to staples and buy a new one for 100 bucksif I really needed it. I also questioned why there would be an issue with my laptop not working properly....long story short ( too late I know) he seemed peeved that I refused all offers. He said, you agree I just spent 20 minutes with you trying to correct the issue? You agree I tried blah blah blah ...to each I answered yes but when he said so why would you think it could be something else ? I just said, cause I don’t think you know what your doing, thanked him and hung up. About 20 minutes later, I fiddled a bit more with the printer and got it all working again.!
Thanks for the thread...I’ll be smarter next time. Never knew about this scam!
Koodo member

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)