Personal Finance

Money Mart PROBLEM!!! HELP~!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 23rd, 2016 1:32 pm
Aug 15, 2005
317 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Frankie3s wrote: Don't stress out and keep your senses. Contact the Ministry of Consumer Affairs to find out what are your rights and what can they do to help you,
http://www.gov.on.ca/mgs/en/ConsProt/STEL02_168947.html
I am trying my best to keep my senses... thanks Frankie3s...

I have already filed a complaint with the Ministry of Consumer Affairs last Thursday, I haven't heard back from them yet, but I'll follow up with them tomorrow. I guess I will have to wait until then to figure out what ,my next move would be regarding Money Mart??

Do you guys suggest I call Money Mart and explain the situation again? Maybe it would help if I was acting cooperative??
Sep 28, 2007
928 posts
54 upvotes
misskaren wrote: Wow, this is the same thing that is happening with me at the moment. I had written 2 post dated cheques, both in the amount of $1000 each....
The link was originally from the other post.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9474 posts
2650 upvotes
misskaren wrote: Do you guys suggest I call Money Mart and explain the situation again? Maybe it would help if I was acting cooperative??
There really is no easy answer. Your next step could be to talk to a lawyer using the Law Society's lawyer referral service,

http://www.lsuc.on.ca/public/a/faqs---l ... l-service/

What are the benefits of the LRS?

The LRS will help you find a lawyer who practises in the area of law that meets your needs. The service can also help you find a lawyer who meets specific requirements such as speaking a certain language or accepting Legal Aid certificates.

Lawyers participating in the Service will offer you up to a half-hour free consultation. This consultation may be over the phone, or in person (the choice is up to the lawyer). During this time, you can ask:

* How the law applies to your situation
* How to use the law to solve your legal problem
* How long the legal work may take
* How much the lawyer will charge

After the consultation, you can decide if you want to hire the lawyer to work for you.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Aug 15, 2005
317 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Value Hunter wrote: The link was originally from the other post.
Value Hunter, you're basically telling me that I'm sh*t out of luck aren't you?

:(
Sep 28, 2007
928 posts
54 upvotes
misskaren wrote: Value Hunter, you're basically telling me that I'm sh*t out of luck aren't you?

:(
I don't know. Have they changed the law since then? Maybe they have. I don't know.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2005
4172 posts
20 upvotes
Sounds like you're stuck with paying Money Mart unless they changed the law. If they haven't changed the law, your best hope is to pay Money Mart and track down the contractors, taking them to court but it seems like they've problably split.
Aug 15, 2005
317 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
AllWheelDrift wrote: Sounds like you're stuck with paying Money Mart unless they changed the law. If they haven't changed the law, your best hope is to pay Money Mart and track down the contractors, taking them to court but it seems like they've problably split.
Would anyone know where I can find out this type of info??
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9474 posts
2650 upvotes
misskaren wrote: Would anyone know where I can find out this type of info??
Wouldn't they have to be registered somewhere to be gas installers? If on the receipt they gave you it had a gas license number you could call the government branch that deals with licensing and begin your search there.
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Aug 15, 2005
317 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
The contractors are licensed to install the furnace... they just breached the contract by installing something other than what was stated on the contract... and for misrepresentation as they stated that a rebate would be offered in a certain amount, but this is untrue. And, the fact that they didn't even return the next day to finish up some "paperwork" for this so-called rebate got me started on wanting to hold the cheques.......

I had 2 post dated cheques, both in the amount of $1000.
Mar 27, 2009
264 posts
50 upvotes
I just had a quick look at the Bills of Exchange Act and, unfortunately for you, you're somewhat out of luck. I'm not a lawyer and don't take what I have to say as anything other than what it is: anonymous writing on a message board.

However, the Bills of Exchange Act is pretty clear that you are liable, and have to pay Money Mart. Writing cheques is something that most people do on faith, but what we think is legal and will protect us (such as post-dating, for example) generally isn't. Once you sign that cheque and hand it over, you're pretty much liable for that money no matter what happens or who cashes it. If you have a good banker, maybe they'll help you out in some way, but I doubt they will.

What it boils down to is that you;re going to have to pay Money Mart their money, and then you're going to have to take your contractor to court and get your money back from them. However, from the description of the whole transaction and how they have seemed to disappear it would strongly suggest that you got conned.

I would get some one else to come and have a look at the work they did. For all you know they could've just given you a faulty furnace, or not even bothered to hook it up beyond the look of the thing.

Seek out a lawyer and see what they can do. But I think you're going to have to pay Money Mart (the law is on their side, unfortunately) and sue the contractor.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
Contractor has all the essence of fraud by not depositing cheque in their names.
Thus they maliciously dealt with Money Mart to escape responsibility.

Op, is the cheque pay to "CASH" or its pay to the Contractor name?
Aug 15, 2005
317 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
How are these contractors filing their taxes if they cash a cheque at Money Mart anyway? This way, they could file a loss in business, and CRA wouldn't even know, could they? what shady people...
Aug 15, 2005
317 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
cgtlky wrote: Contractor has all the essence of fraud by not depositing cheque in their names.
Thus they maliciously dealt with Money Mart to escape responsibility.

Op, is the cheque pay to "CASH" or its pay to the Contractor name?
The cheque was payable to the Contractor's Business name, but like PaterFamilias wrote :
PaterFamilias wrote: Once you sign that cheque and hand it over, you're pretty much liable for that money no matter what happens or who cashes it.
> :(
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2006
8541 posts
2655 upvotes
Toronto
Op, did you ask Money Mart about the contractor information? I believe Money Mart should have that information, that way you can have the update information of the contructor which in case you want to sued.
Aug 15, 2005
317 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
cgtlky wrote: Op, did you ask Money Mart about the contractor information? I believe Money Mart should have that information, that way you can have the update information of the contructor which in case you want to sued.
What kind of information? Money Mart only told me that the contractor has been doing business with them for 7 years now, and has had a clean record with no bounced cheques. I've checked with the BBB and they are a legit company.
May 28, 2009
54 posts
Toronto
Sounds like a crappy business if they rely on money mart to cash cheques... don't they charge something like 14%?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22160 posts
10326 upvotes
Toronto
Have you conducted a business name search to find out who registered the company? If it's a corporation, find the names of the shareholders.

Is the furnace they installed inferior and cheaper than the unit stated in the contract?
Sep 28, 2007
928 posts
54 upvotes
misskaren wrote: What kind of information? Money Mart only told me that the contractor has been doing business with them for 7 years now, and has had a clean record with no bounced cheques. I've checked with the BBB and they are a legit company.
Complain to the BBB. Ask them for his phone number or for them to contact him on your behalf.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)