Hot Deals

[Monod Sports] 40-45% off Arcteryx and Patagonia (past season)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2019 5:46 pm
[OP]
Jun 12, 2007
473 posts
106 upvotes

40-45% off Arcteryx and Patagonia (past season)

Deal Link:
Savings:
40-45%
Retailer:
Monod Sports
Theres some 'hidden members sale' at Monod Sports right now. I guess it will be advertised on the site to everyone else in a few days.
Some whacky colors but most sizes in stock right now.

Monod Sports is a store in Banff but have free shipping and free returns.

Last edited by kingkelly on Feb 13th, 2019 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
47 replies
Mar 1, 2008
792 posts
108 upvotes
Toronto
what's a good winter jacket? something under -10c
Last edited by aznblade on Feb 13th, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Jun 12, 2007
473 posts
106 upvotes
aznblade wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 10:00 am
what's a good light winter jacket? something under -10c
Arcteryx Atom AR Hoody is their all around winter jacket. Good for cold weather, but wont make you sweat up a storm when its +5 out either.
Nov 22, 2015
437 posts
401 upvotes
Toronto
I would stay away from the light and super light options. Most dont have pockets and arent as durable. Fabric is too light according to reviews.
Aug 24, 2015
117 posts
394 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Thanks OP! Picked up a pair of Gamma LT pants for hiking in Alberta. Also, MSBFF5 for an extra 5% off!
Sep 8, 2006
649 posts
354 upvotes
Edmonton
kingkelly wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 10:05 am
Arcteryx Atom AR Hoody is their all around winter jacket. Good for cold weather, but wont make you sweat up a storm when its +5 out either.
The Atom AR Hoody is not meant for -10C or you're going to have to layer up a lot underneath. It is definitely not a all around winter jacket. It's a midlayer. -10C you need an actual winter jacket or a down jacket.
Aug 24, 2015
117 posts
394 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
As someone experiencing the polar vortex in Edmonton, I can confirm that the Atom AR is not a good standalone at -10. Maybe -5 at the lowest in a dry cold I’ll throw it on. I would recommend the Fission SV for truly cold temps. I can wear a T-shirt under that in -40 windchill conditions and am perfectly toasty.
Feb 18, 2007
207 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
Vasilyke wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 10:45 am
I would stay away from the light and super light options. Most dont have pockets and arent as durable. Fabric is too light according to reviews.
Why do people talk about stuff they've not actually used?

SL, yes not durable for daily use. LT and above is meant to be daily wearable. There is always some wiggle room with this designations depending on how rough you are with your gear and your use.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
2143 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
danascully wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 11:24 am
Why do people talk about stuff they've not actually used?

SL, yes not durable for daily use. LT and above is meant to be daily wearable. There is always some wiggle room with this designations depending on how rough you are with your gear and your use.
Agreed. I personally think even the SL line can be worn everyday. It really depends on the application. Daily city use? Anything from Arc'teryx is fine!
Sep 16, 2012
71 posts
27 upvotes
Calgary
puglife644 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 11:19 am
As someone experiencing the polar vortex in Edmonton, I can confirm that the Atom AR is not a good standalone at -10. Maybe -5 at the lowest in a dry cold I’ll throw it on. I would recommend the Fission SV for truly cold temps. I can wear a T-shirt under that in -40 windchill conditions and am perfectly toasty.
The Fission SV is a better option, but it's Coreloft insulation does break down. I have a Fission SV from 2012, while it is still warmer than my Atom SV it isn't as warm as a down parka like the CG Expedition or Feathered Friends Icefall...The Fission SV has been my goto daily winter jacket for temps above -15C and still looks like new, but I did just buy a Camosun Parka (Sporting Life sale) which is warmer and good to around -15 to -20 without layering, but the hood isn't as good and I need a neck warmer and toque. The Fission SV is easier to layer than the Camosun though, so you could probably use it layered to colder temps. I still don't find the Fission SV layered to be as warm as an Expedition Parka though.

I remember when my Fission SV was new I could wear it closer to -20C without layering, similar to the Camosun. I read on a forum that an Arc'teryx rep said the Coreloft insulation can break down within a couple of months if it is compressed for longer periods of time, such as a person driving in it for a couple of hours a day and the back is being compressed against the seat.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2005
2143 posts
138 upvotes
Toronto
da7474 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 11:37 am
The Fission SV is a better option, but it's Coreloft insulation does break down. I have a Fission SV from 2012, while it is still warmer than my Atom SV it isn't as warm as a down parka like the CG Expedition or Feathered Friends Icefall...The Fission SV has been my goto daily winter jacket for temps above -15C and still looks like new, but I did just buy a Camosun Parka (Sporting Life sale) which is warmer and good to around -15 to -20 without layering, but the hood isn't as good and I need a neck warmer and toque. The Fission SV is easier to layer than the Camosun though, so you could probably use it layered to colder temps. I still don't find the Fission SV layered to be as warm as an Expedition Parka though.

I remember when my Fission SV was new I could wear it closer to -20C without layering, similar to the Camosun. I read on a forum that an Arc'teryx rep said the Coreloft insulation can break down within a couple of months if it is compressed for longer periods of time, such as a person driving in it for a couple of hours a day and the back is being compressed against the seat.
Yeah, it's like a synthetic fill pillow. Eventually it'll lose it's loft potential. If you haven't already, try washing it (with tech wash) and sticking it in the dryer with tennis balls to puff it up again.
Sep 16, 2012
71 posts
27 upvotes
Calgary
xeodragon wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 11:39 am
Yeah, it's like a synthetic fill pillow. Eventually it'll lose it's loft potential. If you haven't already, try washing it (with tech wash) and sticking it in the dryer with tennis balls to puff it up again.
Thanks. I have already washed it with tech wash a few times and it does help, I haven't tried the tennis balls when drying it though. It is still probably the best jacket I have owned as it has gotten by far the most use. Even though synthetics do break down it is still a fairly warm jacket and the fit on it is excellent. When I bought the Camosun I was debating buying a new Fission SV, but the green one they had in medium had been returned, so I went with the Camosun instead (the Camosun being mostly down insulation also helped in that decision).
Nov 8, 2008
282 posts
172 upvotes
Thanks OP, I've been hoping to find a year-round (in Vancouver terms) jacket for a little while so picked up the Beta AR in "Rooibos". With layering it looks like it'll be a decent fall-winter-spring and skiing jacket, and $404 including tax is not bad. Free returns sealed the deal.

As a bonus, no PST on the order since Monod is in AB.
Sep 24, 2010
173 posts
44 upvotes
Regina, SK
Thanks OP! I needed a new toque!