Shopping Discussion

Monoprice.com and customs problems anyone?

• Last Updated:
  • May 16th, 2008 8:37 am
Tags:
None
Aug 22, 2005
902 posts
139 upvotes
Brampton
What's I've learnt from my few orders on Monoprice.com is that don't spread the words among family/ friends to try splitting the shipping. The bigger the box, the higher the chances of Customs going through it. Don't be greedy and pay the damn shipping between 2 or mayyyybe 3 people, as long as its an envelope, you should be good. Once they send a box, customs will likely devour it...
[OP]
Mar 21, 2003
888 posts
24 upvotes
Yeah, mine was sent in a box. Shipping was actually $17.XX...more than what I was charged ($15.xx).

Value declared was $28...even though it was $38. No duties are taxes charged when it arrived.
TREAT YOURSELF, NOBODY ELSE WILL.

Email: tiggger@gmail.com
Check my FEEDBACKS: HoFo, eBay, Heatware
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2007
3863 posts
369 upvotes
Hut wrote:
Mar 24th, 2007 9:00 am
Did you ask them to declare as $10 or they just did it themselves?
Did it themselves - my oder came to $46 CDN as well.

Hooked everything up today - great stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6241 posts
904 upvotes
All packages coming into Canada have to have a customs sticker attached with a declared value. Anything under C$ 20.00 (about US$ 17.00 at the moment) gets waived through without taxes or duty being charged. Note that the package still has to go through customs resulting in a time delay since only customs officer can waive it through and send it back to Canada Post to resume delivery. Anything over the C$20 will get stopped to have GST/PST and duties charged. The Post Office in turn will tack on a flat rate $5.00 handling charge for such packages since they pay Canada Customs the money due and then have to collect it from you.

Because of NAFTA and other trade agreements duty is rarely charged these days. It's usually just the taxes. If customs is backed up it is not uncommon for them to start waiving through packages with a higher value than the C$20.00 but this is kind of hit and miss.

One of the biggest problems is that the low $20.00 limit tends to result in a large number of low value parcels ($20.01 and up) being snagged and having to get inspected and processed by customs people. That $20.00 limit is hopelessly out of date and results in a huge backlog at customs points. If the government were to increase the deduction limit to say a more appropriate $75.00 the workload of Canada Customs would be seriously reduced and all packages would be delivered more quickly. In the US by comparison the US Customs limit is $200.00 - anthing below that gets waived through.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2005
1650 posts
3 upvotes
I paid for the extra EMS shipping. Any idea of how much faster I should expect it? I need the cables to test out the receiver I got so that I still have time to return it if there are problems.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2004
1056 posts
49 upvotes
Quebec
ThinkOutsideTheBox wrote:
Feb 18th, 2008 1:38 am
I paid for the extra EMS shipping. Any idea of how much faster I should expect it? I need the cables to test out the receiver I got so that I still have time to return it if there are problems.
Wow, you really dug up for that thread!
I don't know about EMS shipping but I usually don't have to wait more than 2 weeks before I receive my orders.
Best deals I got thanks to RFD:
Sony 60" SXRD RPTV with Stand 1749$ :arrowl: :razz:
Dec 13, 2006
473 posts
176 upvotes
I just had a great experience with them.

I have orderred 3 hdmi wire january 24. They shipped them january 25.

On february 15, I was wondering what was going on with my order. so i sent an email in the morning.

They contacted USPS and my package has been lost. They sent me an email 6 hours later telling me that my package got lost and that they just sent anoter one that I should receive in 6 - 14 days.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2884 posts
31 upvotes
woof wrote:
Mar 24th, 2007 4:14 pm
All packages coming into Canada have to have a customs sticker attached with a declared value. Anything under C$ 20.00 (about US$ 17.00 at the moment) gets waived through without taxes or duty being charged. Note that the package still has to go through customs resulting in a time delay since only customs officer can waive it through and send it back to Canada Post to resume delivery. Anything over the C$20 will get stopped to have GST/PST and duties charged. The Post Office in turn will tack on a flat rate $5.00 handling charge for such packages since they pay Canada Customs the money due and then have to collect it from you.

Because of NAFTA and other trade agreements duty is rarely charged these days. It's usually just the taxes. If customs is backed up it is not uncommon for them to start waiving through packages with a higher value than the C$20.00 but this is kind of hit and miss.

One of the biggest problems is that the low $20.00 limit tends to result in a large number of low value parcels ($20.01 and up) being snagged and having to get inspected and processed by customs people. That $20.00 limit is hopelessly out of date and results in a huge backlog at customs points. If the government were to increase the deduction limit to say a more appropriate $75.00 the workload of Canada Customs would be seriously reduced and all packages would be delivered more quickly. In the US by comparison the US Customs limit is $200.00 - anthing below that gets waived through.
True and false.

If your box says $20 it doesn't automatically get waived through. There won't be any duties or taxes assessed, but believe you me, many many packages are verified of all values.

From what I've been told about the IMPC is that (obviously)the mail keeps coming and coming. So you get through what you get through during your shift.. If you don't finish checking a package, it will be at your workstation the next day.
Apr 14, 2007
30 posts
BluEL wrote:
Mar 13th, 2007 11:22 pm
Anybody ever have problems with receiving orders from Monoprice.com? I've placed an order Feb. 16. It was shipped out Feb. 19. The last update on the tracking says it has entered Canada...that was Feb. 25. I've yet to receive my order (and there's no update on the tracking since Feb. 25). The order was about $65 CAD.
I placed an order on April 28th, and another on the 30th. They've been in transit for 18 days and 16 days respectively.

I chose USPS Air Parcel to Canada so apparently I don't get a tracking number either. I sent them an email today asking them to look into it.