• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 5:14 pm
[OP]
Dec 13, 2006
304 posts
119 upvotes
Vancouver

[Monoprice] Monoprice SOUS VIDE back in stock, $69.99 USD

I have the anova, but would happily own this one for that price tag.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2255 posts
276 upvotes
Burlington
Reviews look really good. Nice find! I have an anova too, but forwarded this to my friends
Free Nortel tips and tricks blog, as well as second opinion on a move to VoIP (for my RFD friends).
Sep 5, 2008
285 posts
89 upvotes
Port Moody
Very tempting, although I saw on another thread this can get as low as $49.99... ? I'm waiting for this kind of deal... maybe black Friday.
Feb 5, 2008
795 posts
164 upvotes
Fraser Valley
Can you please put an item description in the title OP
Jul 21, 2015
90 posts
101 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I'm tempted to get into Sous-Vide world, wondering would this be any better than a DIY from an old crockpot + a temperature controller?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
1884 posts
172 upvotes
This is about as close to an Anova clone as one can get...

That being said, I am very happy with my Anova that I got for $100 last year. Might be worth waiting for a drop seeing how Black Friday is just around the corner...
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2004
2363 posts
259 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting. Monoprice sure has changed from when I first bought from them. I just bought one of their 3d printers through Amazon.ca

You can buy this Strata sous vide devi device for C$87.07, with free shipping, through monoprice.ca on amazon.ca https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-Strata- ... ref=sr_1_1

Shipping from monoprice.com seems expensive (mind you, I only looked at shipping for a monitor). Their shipping FAQ doesn't list Canada as a country they ship to, but that seems like a mistake.

Monoprice also sells bag sealers and bags that might be useful for sous vide cooking. I have no idea of their quality or how they stack up with the competition.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2007
4209 posts
811 upvotes
Toronto
meatwagon wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 1:39 pm
I have the anova, but would happily own this one for that price tag.
whats the best thing i can make with this, im really unfamiliar with the product
[OP]
Dec 13, 2006
304 posts
119 upvotes
Vancouver
FrostyButters wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:08 pm
Can you please put an item description in the title OP
I did, sous vide.. what else would you like?
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10238 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ez_86 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:42 pm
whats the best thing i can make with this, im really unfamiliar with the product
Here's an example... you sous vide a steak to the precise temperature for medium rare, so it's cooked evenly to the doneness you want, then you finish it on a pan by just searing the outside of the steak.
May 5, 2010
814 posts
214 upvotes
rvs007 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 3:05 pm
Here's an example... you sous vide a steak to the precise temperature for medium rare, so it's cooked evenly to the doneness you want, then you finish it on a pan by just searing the outside of the steak.
+1

For 1 piece of steak at around 1 inch thick, it's not that worth it since it's not a hard piece to cook nor really long to prepare, but when you're serving 5-6 steaks + to guests or making 2-2.5 inch thick steaks, the Sous vide is the best thing for that!
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
1910 posts
627 upvotes
Victoria, BC
ez_86 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:42 pm
I love 24-hour roasts. Take a ho-hum cut and makes it awesome. Basically pays for itself on that alone. Plus you can throw it in frozen, which saves a lot of time and hassle.
Please don't ask or beg for "thanks". Don't act like this is Facebook. If someone found your post helpful, let them decide if they want to make that click. The more you beg, the less you'll get. Cheers
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2002
2069 posts
351 upvotes
wow, this is pretty much a complete copy to Anova with some minor cosmetic differences. I'm surprised that Anova isn't going after these people.

Regardless, sous vide is definitely a good tool to have in your kitchen... highly recommended.